Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM

26,576 posts, read 14,540,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
In this case two separate religious books are the ones about how to worship the god and they surely weren't written by the same people and one of them calls on its people to kill all those who don't believe in it and its tenets. Can you guess which one that is?
" Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. "

- Deuteronomy 17:12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,969,140 times
That kid stood up for his beliefs, good for him.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM

168 posts, read 143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I've read these boards for quite a few years and have never seen a pattern like 'christian equals bad; islam equals good.

Nope, never.
I've read these boards for a while and found a trend of "Liberals are the devil" and "Conservatives are retarded". Partisanship like that is tearing this country apart, at least until people actually research things.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,216,077 times
So the kid is okay with "Prayer of the Children", a religious Christian song... but when it comes to a Muslim song, he has a problem? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Equal opportunity singing. I don't have a problem with both being included or both not being included. Either way works for me.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,764,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
But is the charge wrong? Isn't it bigoted to be against singing the Islamic song but not the Christian song? If that's how he feels, he should just accept it. It's not against the law to be a bigot in this case. Kid needs to man up. His actions already show his bigotry.
Standing up for what one believes, especially when one knows it is the Truth, does not make one a bigot. Those who hide their own bigotry behind such accusations need to man up themselves and recognize that if people don't stand up for what they believe, they will fall for anything. (Sound familiar?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Hmmm, it's interesting that certain idiots are unable to understand that an EXTRACURRICULAR activity is EXTRACURRICULAR. Outside the curriculum. Not part of the curriculum. Not graded. No school credit awarded for participation.

The choir sings competitively. The song choice was about showcasing the students singing abilities, not about religion in any way. The students were given the option of not singing certain parts of the program. This student decided that not only would he not sing certain parts of the program, but he wouldn't sing at all. That's his choice. And it's the choice of the other members of the choir to sing and to compete.
Really? Idiots? Is this extracurricular activity not supported by public funds?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,764,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Why does all that go down the toilet when it's virtually the same celebration, virtually the same creator, and only thru random chance and the course of history over thousands of years, has grown into different dialects of the same language? Because their made-up prophet isn't the same as your made-up prophet?
"Virtually the same" is not the same.

And with the comment about "their made-up prophet" and "your made-up prophet" you are now introducing a third religion. Apples and oranges and pears.

By the way, Islam calls Jesus a real prophet, not a made-up one. Maybe you need to study up a bit for credibility.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,675,028 times
[quote=roysoldboy;23011423]I just saw that kid on TV with Megyn Kelly and he is about to be on again. I love to see any teen ager who has principles and is willing to live by them. It makes no difference when they sing that song. Praising Allah, as those words do, is wrong as far as that kid has been taught. The choir lost a member who I support 100%.

Fox ratings soar with hatred yet again. What a surprise.

hence I will no longer read this thread. Roy if you were female you would probably watch "Real Housewives of podunk", and think its reality.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM

5,418 posts, read 9,233,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I agree with taking the words 'under God' out of the pledge.

They were not original; added in the 1950's, I think.

I mean, the next word after 'under God' is 'indivisible', which is ironic, since not everyone believes in god, which is creating 'division' between believers and non-believers in the same country.
The "under God" part of the Pledge isn't NEARLY as divisive as our politics, so I think that in the scheme of things that's more of a moot point. The only real contention seems to be between militant believers and militant athiests.

For what it's worth, I don't have any issue with "under God", but I do have an issue with public funds being used to sponsor/promote religion by religious songs being sung in the school choir. Most extracurricular activities are run through schools, which are supposed to generally be as neutral as possible.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,025,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Standing up for what one believes, especially when one knows it is the Truth, does not make one a bigot. Those who hide their own bigotry behind such accusations need to man up themselves and recognize that if people don't stand up for what they believe, they will fall for anything. (Sound familiar?)

Really? Idiots? Is this extracurricular activity not supported by public funds?
Yes, idiots.

There is no religious context involved with the singing of this song. So whether school funds are involved or not, which is unclear in the article, it's not religion. Just because a cup has been blessed by the Pope doesn't mean that you can't drink out of it without it being a religious experience.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,556,290 times
Had a bible thumper complaining all day about prayer in school. So I asked what if it is made legal and your kids ends up with a Muslim teacher who wants them to pray to Allah or has Muslim prayer on the class room wall? He said that would be no good. Its freedom of my religion for zealots on either side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies