Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I agree with taking the words 'under God' out of the pledge.

They were not original; added in the 1950's, I think.

I mean, the next word after 'under God' is 'indivisible', which is ironic, since not everyone believes in god, which is creating 'division' between believers and non-believers in the same country.
That's OK. Our nation doesn't benefit from the unbelievers anyway. They are a detriment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hmm, it's interesting the people defending the praise Allah song being included in a public school choir include some who say no to religious themed Christmas songs at public schools. Christian=bad; Islam=good as far as liberals are concerned.
Well, don't count ME in your assessment.

I don't think ANY religious songs should be sung in a public school.

Admittedly, I did not read the article, so this could be a choir that just rents space at the school...

Also, I didn't see any posts that stated christian equals bad and islam equals good.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:

Admittedly, I did not read the article, so this could be a choir that just rents space at the school...

Also, I didn't see any posts that stated christian equals bad and islam equals good.
No, not under this topic. But read these boards long enough and you'll see a pattern among the ultra liberals here who take every opportunity to bash Christianity while defending Islam.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:

Don't count me either. I believe in a firm and very rigid separation between church and state, especially concerning the schools, but I don't see how a school can have a Christmas program without including Christ.

However, to maintain that rigid separation and to be fair, a school should also have Ramadan and Hanukkah programs as well. Since I would no more want my grandkids singing religious songs in those than Muslim's want their kids singing Christian songs in school, how about we just eliminate them all from the school house and keep religion where it belongs...at home and at the church/mosque/synagogue/etc.?

And, I'm a hard-shelled, Southern Baptist Sunday School teacher, so what does that make me?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, not under this topic. But read these boards long enough and you'll see a pattern among the ultra liberals here who take every opportunity to bash Christianity while defending Islam.
I've read these boards for quite a few years and have never seen a pattern like 'christian equals bad; islam equals good.

Nope, never.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I would hope all the liberals that so adamently support the seperation of church and state would stand with this kid.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
So, the students were:

1. Not required to participate in the choir
2. Got no academic credit for participating
3. Were shown performances of the song in question
4. Were given translated lyrics of the song in question
5. Said song was written for a movie, not worship
6. Performances were not limited to any particular religious theme

I don't see the problem here.

Besides, "Allah" means "God", and Islam is also an Abrahamic religion - isn't that the same God that Christians worship? Sans Christ, of course, but God the Father? Same as Yahweh. So some of you are saying that worshiping the same God in another language (even though it's not a worship song) is worshipping false gods? Interesting.

Don't worry, I don't expect any coherent answers, just a bunch of sputtering "you stupid liberal, you are wrong", so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That's OK. Our nation doesn't benefit from the unbelievers anyway. They are a detriment.
Is this based on some in-depth study? LOL

Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I would hope all the liberals that so adamently support the seperation of church and state would stand with this kid.
Besides this not being a separation of church and state issue, the kid is under the mistaken impression that he's in a Christian choir --- "I think there would be a lot of outrage if we made a Muslim choir say Jesus Christ is the only truth."

He should stick to a church choir.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 AM

994 posts, read 724,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
So, the students were:

1. Not required to participate in the choir
2. Got no academic credit for participating
3. Were shown performances of the song in question
4. Were given translated lyrics of the song in question
5. Said song was written for a movie, not worship
6. Performances were not limited to any particular religious theme

I don't see the problem here.

Besides, "Allah" means "God", and Islam is also an Abrahamic religion - isn't that the same God that Christians worship? Sans Christ, of course, but God the Father? Same as Yahweh. So some of you are saying that worshiping the same God in another language (even though it's not a worship song) is worshipping false gods? Interesting.

Don't worry, I don't expect any coherent answers, just a bunch of sputtering "you stupid liberal, you are wrong", so I'm not getting my hopes up.
Even though it is the same God the Father it's not as simple as that. It's not just another language, it's another faith tradition. If you say "There is no God but Allah" then you are rejecting the divinity of Jesus Christ and accepting Mohammed as a true prophet. Therefore it is proper for the Christian student to refuse to sing the song. As it would be appropriate for a Muslim student to refuse to sing a song that praised Jesus as the Son Of God. As it would be appropriate for a Jewish student, who rejects both Mohammed and Jesus, to refuse to sing either song. A tolerant individual would respect that these are matters of importance for people of faith and not toss it off as no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies