Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimzer View Post
I've read these boards for a while and found a trend of "Liberals are the devil" and "Conservatives are retarded". Partisanship like that is tearing this country apart, at least until people actually research things.
Even when they do research or have research provided to them, some will not believe facts, e.g. the birther threads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
So since the kid has no objection to singing the Christian song I guess we can infer that he (and some of the posters here) think it is appropriate for a government-sponsored choir to favor one religion over another.

Perhaps one or two of you should familiarize yourselves with some basic principles of constitutional law.

As for the parents suing because of "under god" in the Pledge: they're right.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"A Colorado high school student says he quit the school choir after an Islamic song containing the lyric 'there is no truth except Allah' made it into the repertoire. "I don’t want to come across as a bigot or a racist, but I really don’t feel it is appropriate for students in a public high school to be singing an Islamic worship song,” Harper told KREX-TV. 'This is worshipping another God, and even worshipping another prophet ... I think there would be a lot of outrage if we made a Muslim choir say Jesus Christ is the only truth.' But district spokesman Jeff Kirtland defended the decision to include the song."

Colorado Student Quits High School Choir Over Islamic Song Praising 'Allah' | Fox News

Meanwhile, in Massachusetts -

"An Acton, Mass., school district is being sued by parents over the wording of the Pledge of Allegiance, which they say discriminates against atheists. The anonymous parents of three children in two Acton schools, filing as John and Jane Doe, are suing the district to have the words "under God" removed from the pledge, saying it is discriminatory against their children who are being raised as atheists, WHDH-TV, Boston, reported."

Mass. parents sue to remove 'under God' from pledge | Times 247

Comments?

In the first article:

But district spokesman Jeff Kirtland defended the decision to include the song.

"Choral music is often devoted to religious themes. ... This is not a case where the school is endorsing or promoting any particular religion or other non-educational agenda. The song was chosen because its rhythms and other qualities would provide an opportunity to exhibit the musical talent and skills of the group in competition, not because of its religious message or lyrics," Kirtland told FoxNews.com in an email while noting that the choir "is a voluntary, after-school activity."

"Students are not required to participate, and receive no academic credit for doing so," he said.
At an upcoming concert, the choir is scheduled to sing an Irish folk song and an Christian song titled "Prayer of the Children," in addition to the song by Rahman.

"The teacher consulted with students and asked each of them to review an online performance of the selection with their parents before making the decision to perform the piece," Kirtland said, and members who object to the religious content of musical selections aren't required to sing them.

This kid is a bigot.

As for the 2nd article, this has been beaten to death. "Under God" is NOT a part of the original pledge, but was added in the 50's.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Its nice that no matter which way this goes, there will be no choice.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Standing up for what one believes, especially when one knows it is the Truth, does not make one a bigot.
And this kid knows the TRUTH ?

Do you have any idea how many 'truths' have been overturned in the history of mankind?

If he didn't want to sing the song, fine. I have no problem with someone standing up for what they BELIEVE.

He should not infringe on the rights of others who DO want to sing the song, though.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I just saw that kid on TV with Megyn Kelly and he is about to be on again. I love to see any teen ager who has principles and is willing to live by them. It makes no difference when they sing that song. Praising Allah, as those words do, is wrong as far as that kid has been taught. The choir lost a member who I support 100%.

As for the Pledge case, it is much worse, as far as I am concerned. Why do those who believe in God, (still in a heavy majority) have to be pushed around by people whose kids are not forced to say the Pledge or at least the part the parents don't like? Can you or any judges who rule in favor of atheists explain that to me?
They would have a case if the pledge went, "...one nation, under no God..."

But, it doesn't.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I've only been here for just over 2 years but have seen that pattern almost all of them. It seems very sad that liberals are willing to go along with Muslims in getting the US destroyed because when it happens the Muslims will start cutting the heads of their former supporters off with mine.
The only heads being cut off in this country lately have been by predominantly Catholic Mexican drug gangs.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Actually Allah isn’t another god. God is God by any name. With that said they shouldn't be singing religious songs in a public school. For this particular reason. Someone’s going to get offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"A Colorado high school student says he quit the school choir after an Islamic song containing the lyric 'there is no truth except Allah' made it into the repertoire. "I don’t want to come across as a bigot or a racist, but I really don’t feel it is appropriate for students in a public high school to be singing an Islamic worship song,” Harper told KREX-TV. 'This is worshipping another God, and even worshipping another prophet ... I think there would be a lot of outrage if we made a Muslim choir say Jesus Christ is the only truth.' But district spokesman Jeff Kirtland defended the decision to include the song."

Colorado Student Quits High School Choir Over Islamic Song Praising 'Allah' | Fox News

Meanwhile, in Massachusetts -

"An Acton, Mass., school district is being sued by parents over the wording of the Pledge of Allegiance, which they say discriminates against atheists. The anonymous parents of three children in two Acton schools, filing as John and Jane Doe, are suing the district to have the words "under God" removed from the pledge, saying it is discriminatory against their children who are being raised as atheists, WHDH-TV, Boston, reported."

Mass. parents sue to remove 'under God' from pledge | Times 247

Comments?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
"Virtually the same" is not the same.

And with the comment about "their made-up prophet" and "your made-up prophet" you are now introducing a third religion. Apples and oranges and pears.

By the way, Islam calls Jesus a real prophet, not a made-up one. Maybe you need to study up a bit for credibility.
You're right, it's worth standing off against people that have essentially the same belief system, but have the gall to use a different story about a different false prophet. How silly of me to miss the massive ideological difference.

If I'm working to find my place in the world and help the less fortunate because I was inspired by some guy Jeff that was really cool and helped people and taught people to be good to each other, should I be at odds with someone else who was doing the same thing, because he was inspired by a guy named Todd, who was a lot like Jeff? Only in the world of the religious.

And yes, obviously the magic books of these religions refer to certain folks as prophets. They wouldn't be magic without that part. I'm the one calling them made-up, as in, they aren't prophets.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:35 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That's OK. Our nation doesn't benefit from the unbelievers anyway. They are a detriment.
Funny considering that every advancement in democracy, freedom and civil rights in this country and civilization in general has been won in conflict with the backward beliefs of religionists. And continues to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies