Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

Irrelevant comparison. The price under 2 dollars was down from the July 2008 peak and then crashed due to the oil price speculation bubble bursting combined with the economy going into the toilet that fall.

While the points about not allowing drilling have some merit; the basing the thread on spurious data points makes this all suspect.

Last edited by ottomobeale; 02-16-2012 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: i kant spel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
We have to get people out of 4 ton SUV's. It's that simple. STILL, I see new ones running around getting 12mpg (the way the morons drive them).

Have you ever seen a Chevy Tahoe driver NOT floor it off a green light? They all drive the same. They drive way too fast, they dynamite their brakes, they floor their gas pedals and just in general drive like morons.

If this at least get's those idiots out of those things, it's worth it.

Gas is way too cheap. They pay $7 per gallon in Europe and have for years and you don't hear them cry.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
We have to get people out of 4 ton SUV's. It's that simple. STILL, I see new ones running around getting 12mpg (the way the morons drive them).

Have you ever seen a Chevy Tahoe driver NOT floor it off a green light? They all drive the same. They drive way too fast, they dynamite their brakes, they floor their gas pedals and just in general drive like morons.

If this at least get's those idiots out of those things, it's worth it.

Gas is way too cheap. They pay $7 per gallon in Europe and have for years and you don't hear them cry.
They use by far more mass transit than we do. We don't have the same situation as they.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Seriously? When the President objects to proposed pipelines, purposefully chooses to reduce our domestic supply, fails to use to the offshore leases and requires deepwater drilling, we are going to feel it! Combine that with a personal green energy agenda that has failed miserably and we are hurting big time.

Take some time to think about this, read more of the Celebrity-In-Chiefs policies too.
Seriously?

When Repugs are for lower wages , are against affordable health care insurance, and fight mass transit...Americans are hurting big time...

BTW, the US has plenty of oil...

Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
They use by far more mass transit than we do. We don't have the same situation as they.
Exactly, and we have to rebuild the excellent mass transit system we used to have here. We simply cannot sustain this system we have. We can't keep importing the oil we do and keep the economy going.

There are other options. I would love to see high speed rail with electic locomotives and also-get half of the planes out of the air.

Most business travel can be avoided or replaced with video conferencing. If it takes high fuel prices to accomplish that, I'm all for it.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Exactly, and we have to rebuild the excellent mass transit system we used to have here. We simply cannot sustain this system we have. We can't keep importing the oil we do and keep the economy going.

There are other options. I would love to see high speed rail with electic locomotives and also-get half of the planes out of the air.

Most business travel can be avoided or replaced with video conferencing. If it takes high fuel prices to accomplish that, I'm all for it.
Oh not me. I would hate to see someone have to choose between going to work and eating.....
I would love to see a mass transit system as well, but not at workers' expense along the way. Once again, the middle/low middle class is paying the price.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
That's just campaign BS by floundering desperate Repugs.

Please show how Obama can control oil prices.....like everyone else in the world except for oil companies, he can't.

Last summer gas prices went up....the excuse by oil companies was that Americans WEREN'T USING enough so profits were lower and to get profits up prices had to go up.
Now, you can TRY to fight it but no matter WHO is President , he doesn't control gas prices.
Um, I had to hear over and over and over about Bush and his oil buddies and how he was responsible for gas prices.

While the argument doesn't hold water....gas price politics was revived greatly by the democrats so it's just turnabout.

Don't you remember the congressional grilling of oil company executives?
Hillary promising to "take those profits"?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Oh not me. I would hate to see someone have to choose between going to work and eating.....
I would love to see a mass transit system as well, but not at workers' expense along the way. Once again, the middle/low middle class is paying the price.
I agree, but as far as I'm concerned it's going to happen. The sooner we deal with it the less impact it will have on our children. There simply is not enough oil in the world with China and India developing at the rate they are. Soon how many more billion drivers will there be on the planet burning gasoline?

Rebuilding the RR network would put hundreds of thousands of Americans to work with good jobs. In the initial construction stage and less in the maint and operations stage.

We need green technology to get people around and we need people do get by and use less.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Irrelevant comparison. The price under 2 dollars was down from the July 2008 peak and then crashed due to the oil price speculation bubble bursting combined with the economy going into the toilet that fall.

While the points about not allowing drilling have some merit; the basing the thread on spurious data points makes this all suspect.
I 100% agree, but the same crappy *analysis* and blaming Bush for oil prices is nothing new.

It's ironic to see the hypocrisy of the left and right nuts using each others wheapons on each other when before they complained about it and called it illogical.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As far as I know the Republicans control Big Oil and Big Oil controls the oil supply and refining capacity so they are deliberately restricting both to discredit this administration and collect even greater profits along ther way. Just another example of big business managing politics for their benefit and our cost.
Thanks for showing us what u think you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies