Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Yeah, only people who buy lottery tickets know the real reason why they buy lottery tickets. Same with bank robbers, only they know why they rob banks.
Very true. Some bank robbers may have plans to escape to the Caribbean whereas others may desperately need their next hit of crack but only they know their actual motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,513 times
Nobody cares about corruption anymore!!! Today "We Are All Catholics" whatever that means. Politics & Politicians of any kind is a waste of time. They are all douchebags.

I'm still a non church going Methodist.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
When they asked famous bank robbber Wille Sutton why he robbed banks he responed "That's where the money is"

Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Did any of you see that Bachus was one of the subjects of the 60 Minutes report on insider trading?

How convenient that he's disgusted with Eric Cantor all of a sudden.

Have you any of you stopped to think that his faux outrage is not newsworthy? The STOCK Act will pass. Bachus, in astounding and obvious about-face, deserves to be cursed instead of celebrated.

He's looking after his own ass, not yours, because he's humiliated.
I seen it, but I doubt if it will since there is not a big outrage and they (politicians) are making millions from it not being illegal

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I am personally going to call his office and give them a piece of my mind. This is bs and it disappoints me that he would try to block this. I expect people like Pelosi to block it but not him.

If we cant get something as simple and full of common sense as this bill is passed, then we truly are screwed as a country.
Well, that's what you get for basing your ideas of people on the party they are with instead of what actions they take.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Here's a scenario I'd love:

Martha Stewart runs for office and goes to Washington and makes a HUGE bundle with insider trading...and then retires even wealthier than she is now with free health care and millions from a legal act that she previously went to jail for....

Go Martha!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Why do you think these are called "political" offices. What do you think politics is?
Looking for idiots who would support politicians' whims. Defense for Cantor provides an obvious illustration of that.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
why are lib posters here focused only on Republicans, when the original 60 mins. program fingered a bunch of Democrats as well, including Nancy Pelosi? Lil' partisan axe-grinding maybe? hmmmm.

As for Cantor, I think he's going to have to pass something if he wants to retain any cred. He was considered a rising star for a time. He claims that he wants a stronger bill, so time will tell. In particular, this bill covers Congress but not the Executive branch. Only time will tell whether he is playing games.
Cantor Suggests Senate's Insider-Trading Bill Not Strong Enough | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS

In any case, as with so many things, the real problem lies in the fact that gov't has so much power that it can in effect make stock prices go up or down. Passing this law will just drive the corruption deeper underground. Do we really think that a corrupt congressman can't find a friend or relative to execute a trade for him, then find a way to kick back some of the profits?

This law treats a symptom, not the problem. If someone was corrupt be for this bill, they're still going to be corrupt after it passes. They're just going to have to modify their techniques, that's all.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Looking for idiots who would support politicians' whims. Defense for Cantor provides an obvious illustration of that.
Only a fool or a corrupt person would defend Cantor's actions.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Cantor and Bachus are both crooks, we can at least agree to that?
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies