Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times

Advertisements

For the people who aren't getting why this lawsuit happened are missing the point. The Fire Fighters told every candidate that a 65 was a qualifying score. There seemed be a lot of blacks who scored over a 65. It seemed as though not that many blacks scored above a 89. The way it APPEARS is that the fire fighters saw that not many blacks scored above an 89 and decided that should be the cutoff point. If they wanted it to be 89, they should have said that from the beginning. It looks like they tried to find a score where there weren't that many blacks. That is were the lawsuit comes into play. Why didn't they make the cutoff point 80 or 85. Why didn't they choose 90 instead of 89. That looks racist. They should have told the candidates that they would choose the highest scores instead of making 65 a qualifying score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:57 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Let me say this, if you want all white firefighters, make it so you have white firefighters. Don't say you are qualified at 65 and than decide we will take people who scored over 89. You open yourself up for criticism. I'm black and i'm trying to help you white people out. You can't be openly racist in this country. You have to be more discreet about it. That was just dumb by the chicago fire fighters.
I am a white guy and I will say this, I want the best qualified candidate hired, I do not want some idiot, black or white answering a fire call at my home. If blacks cant make the grade, then get on with your lifes work and assume your proper place in society and do what ever it is you can do for a job.

Perhaps it would be best to figure out why enough blacks can't make the grade to be a FF. Rather than pizz and moan as to why they aren't hiring enough unqualified blacks. If you want these types of job's, then educate yourself enough to qualify for it, don't depend on the fact you are a minority to get hired for a job where you have to have some semblance of intellegence. ''Affemative action need not apply.'' This job is way to impotant for that BS.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Why don't they hire the applicants with the highest scores then? Why hire randomly. YOu don't seem to have a problem with random hires as long as they are White.
No one said that, funny read that into it.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 AM

994 posts, read 725,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
It is illegal when you change the rules WITHOUT notice. It is apparently ILLEGAL when you change the rules During. Thats like a 17 year old going in to take their driving test, passed with the required 80%, but then DMV tells them, oh you can't be considered to get your license because we have 5 that took the same test that scored higher. As far as passing the test, they did. Yet another chance for you to show your bias and ignorance.
No, your analogy fails. There are not a limited number of drivers licenses which must go only to the best drivers. We can issue as many licenses as we want. There are, however, a limited number of slots for firefighters so it is only natural that they go to the best candidates.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So basically hiring the best of the best is anathema to Liberalism. Mediocrity and skin color are more important. Is that what i'm reading here?

Liberals...feel free to chime in if I have it all wrong. I'm asserting that I don't have it all wrong because i'm pretty sure that's what's being said here.
I know what you are saying, instead of pushing people to better themselves, we dumb everything down so the unqualified can get a job that they cannot handle, I see no incentive here to educate ones self and we will become a nation of idiots, talk about the inmates running the asylum. If this is what blacks want, then I feel sorry for this race, they are self destructing and to blind to see it.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, but you open yourself of for criticism. That is my arguement. If you want people above 89, make the cutoff 89.
Well, then you would have another segment of blacks saying it is dicriminatory, because most blacks can't score that high, damned if you do damned if you don't. Maybe work on educating yourself so you can score 89.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
No those Ff are getting hired because the city did the WRONG thing in changing their requirements without informing the applicants beforehand. You still have yet to back up your claim. Hurt? No not at all your ignorant as usual comments are to be expected.
Who are the FF's getting hired? What demographic are we talking about? The city hired those with the highest scores. Those who scored lower are now being compensated. Why are they being compensated for the city hiring those who had the best scores? Are any white people who were not hired due to their lower scores being compensated? Keep spinning though. I enjoy comedy.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They were obviously found to have broken the law.
Discriminate and that's what you get.
Ahhhh- so now it's discrimination to hire the best qualified applicants who had the highest test scores. Very progressive....and stupid....and the typical liberal mindset

Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I could understand if they scored over 89 and weren't picked but that didn't happen.
Sure..65 was passing and got you on the list but not hired right away. Just seems like enough scored above that 89 mark that they didn't need the ones who scored 66 right away.

And that is racial discrimination ?
Unless a white guy had a score of 66 and didn't get hired of course it is. For the white guy with a 66 score it's just tough luck. No monetary settlement or special treatment for them. Who is really experiencing discrimination is the real question here.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
They should have said that from the beginning. They said 65 was a qualifying score, they didn't say they were taking the highest score. That is where they went wrong. The qualifying score should have been 89 not 65. By doing what they did, it looks like there is a racial element.
How does it not make sense to hire the applicants with the highest score?Please explain that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies