Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Did any of you ever hear Steve Jobs defend himself on this? I thought liberals like him were pro workers rights etc.QUOTE]

Oh no! You've unconvered the dirty little secret that (according to you ) Liberals have been sweeping under the rug...NOT!!!

I started this thread on 01-27-2012...

//www.city-data.com/forum/22734334-post1.html

What makes you think that Jobs was such a Liberal?

Jobs, who was known for his prickly, stubborn personality, almost missed meeting President Obama in the fall of 2010 because he insisted that the president personally ask him for a meeting. Though his wife told him that Obama “was really psyched to meet with you,” Jobs insisted on the personal invitation, and the standoff lasted for five days. When he finally relented and they met at the Westin San Francisco Airport, Jobs was characteristically blunt. He seemed to have transformed from a liberal into a conservative.

Rod Dreher » Steve Jobs, ‘conservative.’ No, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

What makes you think that Jobs was such a Liberal?
Bill Maher broke it down. According to Maher Steve Jobs was from San Fransciso,was influence by Bay Area counter culture,smoked weed and was into eastern philosophy. That generally sounds more liberal than conservative.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Did any of you ever hear Steve Jobs defend himself on this? I thought liberals like him were pro workers rights etc.

Apple Labor Violations In China - YouTube

Steve Jobs did not become a "liberal" until he could afford it.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Bill Maher broke it down. According to Maher Steve Jobs was from San Fransciso,was influence by Bay Area counter culture,smoked weed and was into eastern philosophy. That generally sounds more liberal than conservative.
I really do not give a rat's a$$ what label anyone smacks on anyone or themselve's. Actions are what speaks volumes about a person's character and integrity. I gave you the link to my thread which clearly condems Job's and his business practices wich proves my integrity and character, labels be damned. Toeing the party line does not an upstanding character make.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Did any of you ever hear Steve Jobs defend himself on this? I thought liberals like him were pro workers rights etc.

Yep-

It is like Michael Moore- a hard core liberal who hates working people. That is why Moore never uses union labor on his films. Jobs is like most liberals- caring in thought, but not in action. That is probably why very few, if any, liberals actually embrace tenents of liberalism on a micro scale. To do so, of course, would be insane. However, that practice on a macro scale is what we have come to expect as being "normal' liberal behavior, which is simply insanity practiced on a macro, national scale.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yep-

It is like Michael Moore- a hard core liberal who hates working people. That is why Moore never uses union labor on his films. Jobs is like most liberals- caring in thought, but not in action. That is probably why very few, if any, liberals actually embrace tenents of liberalism on a micro scale. To do so, of course, would be insane. However, that practice on a macro scale is what we have come to expect as being "normal' liberal behavior, which is simply insanity practiced on a macro, national scale.
Funny how it is a "Liberal" Ed Schultz reprting the story. Obviously Liberals have no problem exposing bad behavior no matter where it originates. Please expound on your comment about Michael Moore hating working people...I gotta hear this.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:

Proof, if any was necessary, that trying to classify people into simple little boxes, political or otherwise, is absurd.

[maybe he was really a conservative - would that make a difference?]

Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
I remember someone asking how innovative Apple would have been if it were unionized. The thinking was that unions would have hampered Steve Jobs and Apple. But was that really true? Utimately it seems that unions will be needed in China to turn this situation around.
A capitalist is always wary of power, so it is natural for them to suppress any notion of subordinates having a greater say, and the subordinates can only do so via unions. Adam Smith mentions this in the Wealth of Nations, and condones the idea that just as the capitalists form unions, that it is logical for the workers too as well, to have a balance of power.

To believe in that isn't liberal or conservative... it is a matter of understanding how you benefit (the sole driver of capitalism).

Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A capitalist is always wary of power, so it is natural for them to suppress any notion of subordinates having a greater say, and the subordinates can only do so via unions. Adam Smith mentions this in the Wealth of Nations, and condones the idea that just as the capitalists form unions, that it is logical for the workers too as well, to have a balance of power.

To believe in that isn't liberal or conservative... it is a matter of understanding how you benefit (the sole driver of capitalism).

Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Funny how it is a "Liberal" Ed Schultz reprting the story. Obviously Liberals have no problem exposing bad behavior no matter where it originates. Please expound on your comment about Michael Moore hating working people...I gotta hear this.

Liberals tend to lack powers of introspection which exposes thier hypocrisy.

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Does Michael Moore Hate Working People?

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/graham/041227

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-union-buster/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2684569/posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies