Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
There should be no "black" museum.
Why not? Should there be none of these museums either?

Italian American Museum

Polish Museum of America

National Museum of the American Indian

German-American Heritage Museum

Japanese American National Museum

Chinese American Museum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McGarrett View Post
Elaborate. What have they contributed that has been successfully beneficial.
you need an education if you don't know the answers to this question. your hatred is showing.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you need an education if you don't know the answers to this question. your hatred is showing.
Since the disappointing Birther smack down in Georgia which seems to have set him back on his heels, Steve has been descending precipitously into a series of ever more transparently racist posts.

It has been sad to watch.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Why not a National Caucasian Museum? I believe this to be a huge waste of taxpayer money. Barack Obama injecting himself into this opening ceremony only shows how hypocritical he is when it comes to his own ethnicity. He is not fully black. His father's side is Muslim. Also I believe that there is a over saturation of many things in this country that already celebrates african Americans. Isn't it time to say "enough is enough" with wasteful spending? I can't imagine what this thing is going to be filled with!!

Obama to break ground for national black museum | M.WashingtonExaminer.com (http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/2092558/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=obama-to-break-ground-for-national-black-museum - broken link)

With eyes on his own personal legacy, President Obama revealed today that he will help in the groundbreaking of the nation's first African-American museum.
Now I hope with every fiber of my being that Obama goes down to utter and complete defeat in the election...however...it does seem fairly appropriate for the nation's first black President to be at the grand opening of the nation's first black museum, doesn't it?

I can look past my dislike of his politics to see this as a pretty positive thing for the country.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,496 times
You can't just have a history of wiping out the race and culture of the people that lived somewhere before you, then disenfranchise others because of genetic predispositions, and then say it's all equal in the future.

I don't agree with staying stuck in the past, I'm actually very progressive and think we need to forget about a lot of this stuff to better get past it, but not so much that we end up denying that everything that happened then doesn't have an effect on anything now. That's not how history and society work.

There are remnants of history everywhere, biologically, socially, and physically. Seriously, read a book sometime.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Still playing that race card...You would think that the President would be satisfied in the fact that he was elected only because of his skin color. Now he wants to push the envelope further and keep racism going for political reasons...I suggest that they drop the whole Afro thing....how long has America been going on about BLACK? - too long....racism will disappear if you stop talking about it at this point...why enshrine it? If Obama cared about blacks - or anyone esle for that matter - He never would have let the white elite install him as president.
How does officiating at the groundbreaking ceremony of a museum that was created (on paper) in 2003 by an act of Congress, that was approved by the Smithsonian Board of Regents in 2006, that received a $5 million grant from Boeing in April 2008, that has received other grants and help from Aflac, Bank of America, IBM and more, that had President George W. Bush meet and pose for photographs with the museum council in the White House in 2005, "keep racism going", unless by that you mean do something that makes racists angry?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Steve, I wanted to alert you to some other cultural museums that you should be campaigning against.

NYC

American Museum of Natural History
Brooklyn Historical Society
Brooklyn Museum Casa Belvedere
China Institute in America Conference House
Center for Jewish History (New York)
Coney Island USA
Discovery Times Square Exposition
Dyckman House Museum
Fraunces Tavern Museum
Girl Scout Museum
Greater Astoria Historical Society
Harbor Defense Museum Hispanic Society of America
Historic Richmond Town
Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum
Jewish Museum (New York)
Judaica Museum of the Hebrew Home for the Aged at Riverdale
Louis Armstrong House
Merchant's House Museum
El Museo del Barrio Ellis Island Immigration Museum
Madame Tussauds Wax Museum
Museum of American Finance
Museum of the City of New York
Museum of the Moving Image
Museum of Chinese in America
Museum at Eldridge Street
Museum of Jewish Heritage
Museum of Sex
Museum of Television and Radio National Jazz
Museum In Harlem National
Museum of the American Indian (New York branch)
National Museum of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender History
Sports Museum of America
New York City Fire Museum
New York City Police Museum
New-York Historical Society
New York Transit Museum
The Paley Center for Media
Queens County Farm Museum
Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Scandinavia House
Skyscraper Museum
Sony Wonder Technology Lab
South Street Seaport Museum
Staten Island Institute of Arts & Sciences
Yeshiva University Museum
Brooklyn Children's Museum
Children's Galleries for Jewish Culture
Children's Museum of the Arts
Children's Museum of Manhattan
Jewish Children's Museum
Staten Island Children's Museum

Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
That's because there isn't any.
Dont ever, ever turn on your radio again, because everything you will hear owes a legacy to *gasp* black musicians.
I would write an essay on the contributions of blacks to the arts, but you, OP, dont strike me as the cultured type.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Dont ever, ever turn on your radio again, because everything you will hear owes a legacy to *gasp* black musicians.
I would write an essay on the contributions of blacks to the arts, but you, OP, dont strike me as the cultured type.
Heck, even when Steve's sitting on the front stoop of the trailer playing his banjo, he's benefiting from an African American contribution.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Since the disappointing Birther smack down in Georgia which seems to have set him back on his heels, Steve has been descending precipitously into a series of ever more transparently racist posts.

It has been sad to watch.
Agreed, I'm wondering where Steve's outrage is for the Holocaust Museum and all of the thousands of other cultural museums we have dotted around the country.

Jewish-American Heritage, Chinese-American Heritage, Native-American, Polish-American, Irish-American........ But the bigot gets worked up over Black-American????

I almost fear posting on one of his race baiting threads, you never know when they will disappear completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies