Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You are so wrong. My "X" was working for caldors part time, about 20 hrs a week, and the UNION DUES equaled 2/3rds of her take home pay.
That's hard to believe. If true, the workers shouldn't have allowed such a high amount on any worker. Why didn't they throw the union out and enjoy up to a 66% raise in pay? Or simply look for a NON unionized job? Once again, no one has to work in an unionized work place, especially if they feel they are getting ripped off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's hard to believe. If true, the workers shouldn't have allowed such a high amount on any worker. Why didn't they throw the union out and enjoy up to a 66% raise in pay? Or simply look for a NON unionized job? Once again, no one has to work in an unionized work place, especially if they feel they are getting ripped off.
Probably, everyone had to pay the same amount. That is a good way to benefit the older members. Pluss more money to the union, means more lobbying.

My question is; Why should unions get monopoly on any workplace? What if 50% of your workplace want to donate to NRA. Should they be allowed to force you to donate to NRA if you start working there. I mean, you can always find another job.

Not having right to work is the tyranny of the majority.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
True but certain industries, such as mine, is solely unionized ... I am not about to switch industries especially as I enjoy my work but not happy with the union. Plus, I've worked within a unionized government agency and I saw so much that turned me off of unions. Yes, the pay and benefits are good but at what cost? It's the taxpayers that get screwed and that is morally wrong in my opinion.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 PM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Right to work, benefits workers who do not want to be strong armed by a union, pay money to union thugs for representation we don't want, and keep our entire paycheck.

years ago while I was stationed in CT, my wife, (now "X"), went too work part time at caldors, a department store that was a closed shop. The amount of money they demanded equaled 2/3rds of her paycheck, just to work there, and she did NOT want to be a part of the union.

She ended up quitting.
When I was in college I worked supermarkets part time. There were two supermarkets in town a couple blocks apart. I worked at both at different times. One was United Food and Commercial Workers union and the other was not unionized. I got the same pay, same benefits, same store policies at both places. There was really zero difference between working at one place or the other. The UFCW people got absolutely nothing for their union dues that the workers down the street didn't get for free.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
When I was in college I worked supermarkets part time. There were two supermarkets in town a couple blocks apart. I worked at both at different times. One was United Food and Commercial Workers union and the other was not unionized. I got the same pay, same benefits, same store policies at both places. There was really zero difference between working at one place or the other. The UFCW people got absolutely nothing for their union dues that the workers down the street didn't get for free.
See? That's one of the indirect values of a strong union right down the street. Just the fact that it existed forced the other store to match what they were getting to keep their employees from going union too.

Unions benefit more than just their members.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
See? That's one of the indirect values of a strong union right down the street. Just the fact that it existed forced the other store to match what they were getting to keep their employees from going union too.

Unions benefit more than just their members.
Yeah but what about the poor union workers who had to cough up union dues when the store down the street were receiving the same pay/benefits?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
2/3rds someone's check to union dues? Something is off. Most I've ever payed was 1.5%. I've never heard of dues that high. The union would be booted off property.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
2/3rds someone's check to union dues? Something is off. Most I've ever payed was 1.5%. I've never heard of dues that high. The union would be booted off property.
I still find that hard to believe. If true, it possibly meant a number of people were working for less than minimum wage after the union took out 2/3rds.

If true, that's why states without Right to Work should stay that way. Imagine in such states as a worker being told that if you let a union in, then you would be giving that union the right to take as much as 2/3rds out of your paycheck. The vote to unionize would be a resounding NO!

If true, I don't see how a company could operate with such a high turnover of employees wanting out of there.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah but what about the poor union workers who had to cough up union dues when the store down the street were receiving the same pay/benefits?
Then they should have been wise enough to vote the union out and enjoy a raise in pay.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Then they should have been wise enough to vote the union out and enjoy a raise in pay.
Yeah ... Like employees really have all that power to disband a union.

Anyways ... I just received my union membership card which states that I'm a member in good standing. Only problem is that I haven't paid any dues since 2007 when I resigned from my unionized position. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies