Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,477,543 times

Advertisements

The current attacks on labor, via the right to work legislation, is designed, I believe, to neuter one of the strongest supporters of the Democratic Party. Labor unions. It's not about providing some sort of benefit to workers. Or, in the long run ... employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,520,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
But in the end his company went down the crapper.
And he probably didnt care. Money and greed is what drives that kind of person not service or "being a river to the people".

Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,780,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And that won't happen when we get Card Check will it? Who usually calls strikes that keep workers from working so they don't get paid? Why it is those unions and in most instances they get dues money from the non-members.
A non-member gets the benefits of a union member's hard work and sacrifice without paying for it. The law trades one screw job for another.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM

14,468 posts, read 11,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
In my experience, if the majority of employees voted to be represented by a union, it was because company execs were being unfair to its workers. So if the company has needlessly taken away so many employee benefits and cut wages to the point where the majority of employees have decided to fight back and get the shop unionized, why should they want their union weakened by a right-to-work law?
I don't know, maybe you should ask the union members who have voted with their feet. Membership in unions has gone from 37% of private sector workers in the 1950's to about 7% now. Apparently management and ownership hasn't been the ogre that people like you seem to think they are.

I would add though that the threat of unionization can help maintain balance.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM

428 posts, read 485,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When union workers make the higher salaries, it just raises the prices of everything in the area. It is useless to make so much money. I smile every time I pay taxes and realize their greed is costing them more money.
I'm wondering if the higher salaries were justified by increased company profits and the the execs decided to raises their prices to customers just out of personal greed. From my experiences, unionized workers simply negotiated to keep their current wage or gain a minor wage increase that the company can readily afford.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I don't know, maybe you should ask the union members who have voted with their feet. Membership in unions has gone from 37% of private sector workers in the 1950's to about 7% now. Apparently management and ownership hasn't been the ogre that people like you seem to think they are.

When did I say that? I'm just wondering what a right-to-work law has to offer to unionized shop employees who have seen improvements in their working environment.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM

14,468 posts, read 11,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
When did I say that? I'm just wondering what a right-to-work law has to offer to unionized shop employees who have seen improvements in their working environment.
Oh. Sorry I get a little politically controversial sometimes.

Well, I guess it would offer them the ability to opt out of the union.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,493,311 times
Quote:

Most of the loss of those union jobs wasn't because the members opted to leave the union. It was because the companies opted to leave the unions behind by moving to right to work states or overseas.

In other words, they didn't walk away from the union...their jobs walked away from them in search of higher profits.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Oh. Sorry I get a little politically controversial sometimes.

Well, I guess it would offer them the ability to opt out of the union.
No hard feelings.

You know, right-to-work reminds me of charter schools. The public schools were failing, so charter schools were born. I say, why not fix the problem at its source instead of treating it like a redheaded stepchild? Just like why not work to fix the problem of corruption in the unions instead of instilling a right-to-work law?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Right to work, for less. It only benefits the fat cats by slashing wages and benefits, lower safety standards, and little to no say to the worker to fight back against the company if needed
In that case they could choose to join the union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies