Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Read this and tell me if we have free speech rights in America when rich elites are easily able to shut down debate by threats and intimidation.

Billionaire Romney donor uses threats to silence critics - Salon.com

And by the way, if we have any examples right wing commentary being suppressed by threats of lawsuits I'd welcome you posting that here. This goes beyond right v left.

Last edited by padcrasher; 02-17-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Read this and tell me if we have free speech rights in America when rich elites are easily able to shut down debate by threats and intimidation.

Maybe we can arrange a fight to the death between him and this Al Gore fundraiser?

Fred Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
If you thiink the Republicans have some looney candidates, the people backing them are really scary

Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If you thiink the Republicans have some looney candidates, the people backing them are really scary
Oh, you mean like the Santorum supporter who says that a Bayer aspirin between a woman's knees is suitable birth control?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Maybe we can arrange a fight to the death between him and this Al Gore fundraiser?

Fred Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Over two decades ago Phelps claimed to have hosted a Gore fundraiser because Gore was supporting anti-gay legislation at the time. Your link doesn't even make the claim Gore was aware of this.

In comparison, Romney is fully aware this bully is currently on his team.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Oh, you mean like the Santorum supporter who says that a Bayer aspirin between a woman's knees is suitable birth control?
Can you suggest a much surer method of birth control?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can you suggest a much surer method of birth control?
Uh.....yes. Like all of them.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:

And by the way, if we have any examples right wing commentary being suppressed by threats of lawsuits I'd welcome you posting that here. This goes beyond right v left.
I've got a problem with this. I've also got a problem with the abusive treatment Ron Paul and McCain have been meted out by GOP and constituents alike. Evil is evil is evil. What calls itself conservative is like Tonya Harding with too much money in her pocket.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Over two decades ago Phelps claimed to have hosted a Gore fundraiser because Gore was supporting anti-gay legislation at the time. Your link doesn't even make the claim Gore was aware of this.

In comparison, Romney is fully aware this bully is currently on his team.
Even still, can I disagree with some of the positions Gore has and agree with others on pure merits of argument? That can't happen if folks are going to take it upon themselves to shut down debates/ monkey with facts as a 'right'.

The defense of free speech shouldn't include the right for someone to lie. Particularly when they're trusted in positions of authority to deliver information in mass communication systems or manage public records. The truth and nothing but the truth only applies by law to you and me, not all others in the courtroom? Or in governance? Or in commerce?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
According to that article which, by the way, is loaded with words and phrases which reveals Solon's bias and which would make it an editorial in any other paper, it seems the only crime being committed is by the newspapers and other outlets unwilling to stand behind what they've printed.

"Mother Jones,""Forbes," and various blogsites folded under initial pressure and the Idaho Falls "Post Register" even sold him space to offer a rebuttal, then complained about his doing so!

Who's at fault here? VanderSloot or those who print or publish things they're unwilling to defend? I'd say if you can't defend what you publish, you shouldn't publish it.

More yellow journalism, this time from the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies