Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,144,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Oh, yeah, the "gay uncles" story again. I see this time, though, that you are elaborating on that theme by saying, "I havemany friends who are gay."

If you really do have gay uncles and "many friends who are gay" (which I doubt), I'm willing to bet that you are NOT speaking for them when you claim that most of them don't support gay marriage.

Put you on ignore? And miss all your convenient little anecdotes? LOL

And I hate to burst your young, rather overinflated ego, but I am not threatened by you. LOL Too funny.
Then maybe you should approach my posts differently, because other people also seem to think you are threatened by me. And I don't care what you think you know about me, or what you say.
Maybe I should rethink not using my ignore list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not much of a difference and I wonder if the poll conforms to the demographics of the state. The preachers of the PG mega churches and the priests across the state have 9 months to fire up their flocks against this law.

I predict a referendum repealing the law will pass in a landslide in November.

And if they reject it "in a landslide" then they'll just go down in history as a bunch of bigots like their segregationist cousins in the deep south back in the 1950s and 60s. In 50 years even Republicans will pretend that they were always for marriage equality.

Tick tock, social conservatives. It's only a matter of time. You're just delaying the inevitable. Sooner or later the Supreme Court will have to weigh in and make Americans behave like civilized lovers of freedom they all pretend they want to be.

Tick tock. Until then, Maryland churches who fight this are just wasting their time and resources and turning people off of "religion." And Christians these days wonder why more and more young people reject religion and what they see as institutions of intolerance!

One day we'll have a president with the balls to go after church's tax exempt status for this kind of nonsense. Bad enough we have to suffer religious "leaders" opinions as if they're actually moral authorities on anything other than how to make money lying to people and exploiting fear of death for personal profit and fun.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:42 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I treat them equally. I couldn't care less what you call me or what you think. I havemany friends who are gay and both my uncles are gay, as are most of their friends that I have grown up with, most of them don't support gay marriage. They think it is just a way for some gays to smack religious people in the face.
BTW why don't you just put me on your ignore list so that you wont have to have your good mood ruined by a Christian, conservative, 17 year old girl whom you are so obviously threatened by?
Sorry, but your self hating, religiously conflicted gay uncle Toms don't speak for the desires or beliefs of the mainstream gay community. Not by a looooong shot.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,233,135 times
Quote:
Then maybe you should approach my posts differently, because other people also seem to think you are threatened by me.
LOL

Sure "they" do.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:
Actually laws like this drives conservatives out in droves it also converts a few staunch Black Dems to the GOP. In a close election that can spell the difference.

That's how Bush got re-elected in 2004.
See bolded part. Polls show support for same sex marriage a good 15 points higher now than in 2004.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Actually, he won the first one, too. 270 electoral votes were required to win and he won 271.
Yes, and he only had to steal 2 states to get them

Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Don't be nieve. You don't change your mind about something you've been fighting for months 2 days before the vote without some "incentive".
I'm all about treating them as equals, I do treat them as equals. I think they should be given the same rights as any other two people, but I don't think they should be able tobe married. Marriage is religious, and it should stay that way. In most religions it is considered a sacrament between a man and a woman and that is just the way it is. I'm sorry if you feel that I am hateful, but you are so very wrong.

(
I tell you what there champ, you make sure you give up all the perks that state gives you for being married and you will have no arguments with me about it being religous . And throughout history marriage has been a civil affair with the religious part being an addition but not the reason.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:
Don't be nieve. You don't change your mind about something you've been fighting for months 2 days before the vote without some "incentive".
I'm all about treating them as equals, I do treat them as equals. I think they should be given the same rights as any other two people, but I don't think they should be able tobe married. Marriage is religious, and it should stay that way. In most religions it is considered a sacrament between a man and a woman and that is just the way it is. I'm sorry if you feel that I am hateful, but you are so very wrong.
If you look at recent polling on the issue and compare it with polling from not too long ago, it does seem quite obvious people can change their minds pretty quickly and have on this issue.

You can't on one hand say you want to give them the same rights as everyone else, but not let them get married. If you don't allow that, then well you don't want to give them the same rights as everyone else.

Also marriage is more than just religious. Civil Marriage does exist. Plenty of people get married (and I'm talking about heterosexuals here) outside the church. Whether its people who aren't religious, people who are of a mixed faith marriage (we have a ton of Catholic-Jewish marriages here), or simply someone who doesn't want a religious marriage, Civil Marriage does exist. No one is saying Churches should be forced to marry gays, in fact all of the states that have passed it have very specific language on it. However, same-sex couples should have the very same rights under the law to get married that you and I have.

Religious beliefs should never dictate laws. Its fine for it to dictate the laws of the Church, but it should not dictate state or federal law, because well this isn't a Theocracy.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:10 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,212,832 times
Quote:
Folks grow up. Many of those who are against it are baby boomers who were also very liberal in their youth.
You have some knowledge about boomers' views of homosexuals back in days of their liberal youth? They could have been freewheeling about drugs and their own sex lives, only to get more conservative with age, but could have held the same views about gays back then as they do now. I haven't met anyone who was for gay rights in their 20s who changed their views as they got older.

Speaking of growing up and changing views between one's youth and middle age, is this something you speak of from experience? I was of the impression you were a young adult. I however can speak from experience and of that of my contemporaries. I'm someone on the cusp of boomer and Gen X - and no one I know who was liberal about gay rights in high school or college years has shifted their position to a more conservative one now that we're hitting 50 (and some of us older).

In fact, as much as I was pro-gay rights in my 20s, when talk about gay marriage first came to my attention, I was more favorable towards civil unions, but not something called marriage. Within the past 5 or so years, I have switched to fully supporting full marriage equality, in both legal rights and the name "marriage".

So, there's my view of what to expect for the younger, pro-marriage equality crowd as they get older. The trend is clear.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
See bolded part. Polls show support for same sex marriage a good 15 points higher now than in 2004.
The only polls that count are the ones held the first Tuesday in November. See you at the polls in November Dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies