Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Yay for my official "home state!" (born in Silver Spring, and lived in MD until I was almost 7)

As an earlier poster said, it does seem to be happening quite rapidly all of a sudden... and personally I'm glad, as it indicates a trend for the near future. I'm predicting 2013 for legalization here in California, especially now that the courts rejected Prop 8. C'mon California - it's pathetic that even Iowa has beat us to the punch, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
OMG...please don't make this a racial "Blacks don't like gays" thing.
I'm not making it racial at all. I live in Maryland and the black pastors are the ones trying to block this.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Why are some incapable of seeing gay people as fellow humans with the same need to love and be loved as everyone else?

In the end we really are not that different than you...or anybody else.
Amazing how people like 90sman like to pull out the Biblical attack on gays constantly, and say what an abomination they are. Yet they conveniently ignore these:

Matt 22:36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Matt 7:1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. "

He clearly doesn't understand the very Bible he condemns people with.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm not making it racial at all. I live in Maryland and the black pastors are the ones trying to block this.
I hear what you're saying....just didn't see the need to point out the black thing. Just further ammunition for folks who believe blacks are homophobic. Would love to have a discussion about gays/gay marriage that did not drag blacks into the discussion.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Amazing how people like 90sman like to pull out the Biblical attack on gays constantly, and say what an abomination they are. Yet they conveniently ignore these:

Matt 22:36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?†37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.â€

Matt 7:1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. "

He clearly doesn't understand the very Bible he condemns people with.
Just out of curiosity, do you think these verses have been changed/warped from past meaning? Do you find these Scriptures to be accurate translations?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, do you think these verses have been changed/warped from past meaning? Do you find these Scriptures to be accurate translations?
They probably aren't, since most of the English-translated Bible is filled with inaccuracies... but at least the messages are good ones, unlike some of the other poorly-translated passages people like to "quote." Personally I try to keep the Golden Rule in mind (do unto others as you wish them to do unto you), which is one that many Rabbis stress as an important Judeo-Christian philosophy.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They probably aren't, since most of the English-translated Bible is filled with inaccuracies... but at least the message is a good one, unlike some of the other poorly-translated passages people like to "quote." Personally I like to keep the Golden Rule in mind (do unto others as you wish them to do unto you), which is one that many Rabbis stress as an important Judeo-Christian philosophy.
I just find it interesting the Scriptures some choose to believe and disbelieve. There are plenty of Scriptures that I don't agree with (and honestly, put a real cramp in my style), but that doesn't mean that they were inaccurately translated and/or twisted by evil no-good-doers.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of things have been altered in the Bible, although I don't see much biased motivation to alter the ones I just quoted. Unlike the supposed anti gay verses which were altered by conservative publishers to increase Bible sales.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
I hear what you're saying....just didn't see the need to point out the black thing. Just further ammunition for folks who believe blacks are homophobic. Would love to have a discussion about gays/gay marriage that did not drag blacks into the discussion.
Sorry, but that's the hold up here. The black pastors in PG county are against this.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I just find it interesting the Scriptures some choose to believe and disbelieve. There are plenty of Scriptures that I don't agree with (and honestly, put a real cramp in my style), but that doesn't mean that they were inaccurately translated and/or twisted by evil no-good-doers.
Well, we know for a fact some of them have been. 1 Corinthians 6:9 being a perfect example. Never in history until 1958 did that condemn gay people.

However, my bigger issue is people who quote the anti-gay verses without any research whatsoever, completely removing it from context and original language and use it as a weapon against gays when they don't understand its meaning at all.

Leviticus and Romans 1 being perfect examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies