Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Just another reason for me to hate my state. I heard about this on a local radio station yesterday and they said that two of the people who had been fighting this for a long time just happened to "change their minds". Gov. O'Mally probably helped them do that with just the right amount of money. Can't wait to move to Texas!

Many people who were against same-sex marriage for a long time have changed their minds. Its why support for it has jumped from the high 30's eight years ago to into the 50's now. Treating people as equals makes you hate your state, how sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
^^ You also have to take into account the younger generation and young adults. My generation just doesn't give a f*ck about homosexuality. We're just waiting waiting for control.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
All of this focus on Christianity yet no other religion recognizes same sex marriage even the athiest communists do not.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^ You also have to take into account the younger generation and young adults. My generation just doesn't give a f*ck about homosexuality. We're just waiting waiting for control.
Folks grow up. Many of those who are against it are baby boomers who were also very liberal in their youth.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Many people who were against same-sex marriage for a long time have changed their minds. Its why support for it has jumped from the high 30's eight years ago to into the 50's now. Treating people as equals makes you hate your state, how sad.
We'll see how popular it is in New Jersey and Maryland in November. See you in November Dems.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One of the good things about Maryland ios that we have a tool to curb the over reach of radical Dems. Any recently passed law can be suspended if enough people sign a petition. It then moves to a referendum in the next election.

This law will never see the light of day. In fact the deciding votes voted yes for that very reason. See you in November Dims!
Oh yes it will my friend be us because thanks to prop 8 case law now exists to argue against it .

Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Just another reason for me to hate my state. I heard about this on a local radio station yesterday and they said that two of the people who had been fighting this for a long time just happened to "change their minds". Gov. O'Mally probably helped them do that with just the right amount of money. Can't wait to move to Texas!
Exactly. O'Malley himself was not supportive of this just last year. Then his suspected rival in NY rammed this through and became a liberal darling. All of a sudden this became a must pass in Maryland.

No big deal though the residents of Maryland will have their voices heard in Maryland. Maryland is 30% Black, 9% Hispanic and 6% Asian. Not to mention outside of Montgomery County most of the white population is moderate to conservative this abomination will never see the light of day.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
We'll see how popular it is in New Jersey and Maryland in November. See you in November Dems.
Since the republican turnout will likely be low, I guess we will won't we?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Oh yes it will my friend be us because thanks to prop 8 case law now exists to argue against it .
Different scenario. We will be repealing a recently passed law which is constitutionally protected in the state constitution.

Anyway Prop 8 will be validated by SCOTUS. See you in November Dems.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Since the republican turnout will likely be low, I guess we will won't we?
Actually laws like this drives conservatives out in droves it also converts a few staunch Black Dems to the GOP. In a close election that can spell the difference.

That's how Bush got re-elected in 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies