U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Austin
30,858 posts, read 18,744,666 times
Reputation: 8931

Advertisements

You scratch my back with some political donations and I'll scratch yours with some stimulus funds... to the tune of $230 million.

And what did we get for our $230 million? According to the government, Duke Energy added 196.6 jobs..... at a cost to the taxpayers of more than $1 million per job. Quite a sweetheart deal. Isn't it fun to SPEND OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY?

Democratic National Cronyism | Washington Free Beacon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 AM
 
19,346 posts, read 17,461,636 times
Reputation: 7519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You scratch my back with some political donations and I'll scratch yours with some stimulus funds... to the tune of $230 million.

And what did we get for our $230 million? According to the government, Duke Energy added 196.6 jobs..... at a cost to the taxpayers of more than $1 million per job. Quite a sweetheart deal. Isn't it fun to SPEND OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY?

Democratic National Cronyism | Washington Free Beacon
But liberalism believes in it. They are caught doing stupid things they say they are going to do. The republicans on the other hand say they are against this and do the same thing.

If someone says they will put a screw driver in their ear and does it, I'd say they are stupid. What would you say about someone who says they are not putting screw driver in their ear and does it too?


Government should certainly be a buyer of technology, and what they should do is involve all players in the industry to create a back bone for a new market they can compete on. Its like a town that builds roads and sewers in cooperation so that they can put their business on it. This government can encourage without handing money to a single provider.

Government is not completely defunct at producing a technology. What they cannot do is make a business out of it. This is what we saw with the Internet. Government created an infrastructure, and let the private sector do the rest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,018 posts, read 11,618,587 times
Reputation: 8982
All of this hub bub about Cronyism just makes me laugh so hard I'm almost peeing myself.
Do you people not realize that this is the American way. It's as American as your constitution. It's always been this way and always will be this way until the entire system is reformed in a big way. For goodness sakes, for over half your history the country was run on "The spoils" system. Your political parties were run by huge, totally corrupt political machines. There has been very little difference between organized crime and organized politics in the country and in fact a lot of links between the. All attempts at reforming this corrupt system have failed. The citizens united case has set any reform back a hundred years. Although both parties partake equally the fruits of this corruption it is by far more important to the right that such a system be perserved. The left as it represents by far the mojority of the people would have no trouble at all raising funds from those people. Lots of small donations that add up to a lot of dough. The right on the other hand depends on a very few very wealthy supporters that want their exalted status to be perserved. Their $$$$ comes at a big cost. They own the GOP and they don't care about the interests of the country the people or anything else for that matter but for thier own greedy selves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 AM
 
19,346 posts, read 17,461,636 times
Reputation: 7519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
All of this hub bub about Cronyism just makes me laugh so hard I'm almost peeing myself.
Do you people not realize that this is the American way. It's as American as your constitution. It's always been this way and always will be this way until the entire system is reformed in a big way. For goodness sakes, for over half your history the country was run on "The spoils" system. Your political parties were run by huge, totally corrupt political machines. There has been very little difference between organized crime and organized politics in the country and in fact a lot of links between the. All attempts at reforming this corrupt system have failed. The citizens united case has set any reform back a hundred years. Although both parties partake equally the fruits of this corruption it is by far more important to the right that such a system be perserved. The left as it represents by far the mojority of the people would have no trouble at all raising funds from those people. Lots of small donations that add up to a lot of dough. The right on the other hand depends on a very few very wealthy supporters that want their exalted status to be perserved. Their $$$$ comes at a big cost. They own the GOP and they don't care about the interests of the country the people or anything else for that matter but for thier own greedy selves.
I think the dems are equally swallowed by the money class. Ron Paul is certainly all grass roots. I don't like a few of his positions but he is a republican populist rebellion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Austin
30,858 posts, read 18,744,666 times
Reputation: 8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
All of this hub bub about Cronyism just makes me laugh so hard I'm almost peeing myself.
Do you people not realize that this is the American way. It's as American as your constitution. It's always been this way and always will be this way until the entire system is reformed in a big way. For goodness sakes, for over half your history the country was run on "The spoils" system. Your political parties were run by huge, totally corrupt political machines. There has been very little difference between organized crime and organized politics in the country and in fact a lot of links between the. All attempts at reforming this corrupt system have failed. The citizens united case has set any reform back a hundred years. Although both parties partake equally the fruits of this corruption it is by far more important to the right that such a system be perserved. The left as it represents by far the mojority of the people would have no trouble at all raising funds from those people. Lots of small donations that add up to a lot of dough. The right on the other hand depends on a very few very wealthy supporters that want their exalted status to be perserved. Their $$$$ comes at a big cost. They own the GOP and they don't care about the interests of the country the people or anything else for that matter but for thier own greedy selves.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Try again. And read the link.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 7,486,648 times
Reputation: 2036
And certainly there are no Republican endorsed crony capitalism incidents. Hopefully one day people will realize American is in bad shape because of both parties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 11:37 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 7,486,648 times
Reputation: 2036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Try again. And read the link.

The dude is right. Sorry to burst your bubble. Or are you saying Republicans have never done such a thing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Fredericktown,Ohio
7,171 posts, read 4,945,567 times
Reputation: 2920
Duke follows the Wall st formula :

Quote:
The Duke Energy Political Action Committee, which has tended to give more to Republicans in the past, reversed that trend in 2010, giving $260,000 to Democratic candidates following the passage of the stimulus, compared with just $209,000 to Republicans.
And the formula is too grease the palms of both sides and just think people are chomping at the bit for election day to keep that other party out
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Austin
30,858 posts, read 18,744,666 times
Reputation: 8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The dude is right. Sorry to burst your bubble. Or are you saying Republicans have never done such a thing?

No, they do it too. But that doesn't make it right. You can't excuse Obama by saying others were just as corrupt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 AM
 
Location: NC
6,032 posts, read 8,462,498 times
Reputation: 6368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You scratch my back with some political donations and I'll scratch yours with some stimulus funds... to the tune of $230 million.

And what did we get for our $230 million? According to the government, Duke Energy added 196.6 jobs..... at a cost to the taxpayers of more than $1 million per job. Quite a sweetheart deal. Isn't it fun to SPEND OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY?

Democratic National Cronyism | Washington Free Beacon

Duke Energy asked to raise rates here this year by 18%......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top