Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
What a blowhard. We're not talking about your personal philosophy of life. We're talking about the LAW. STATUTORY, LEGAL ENTITLEMENTS. Get it? They are a product of the legislature and elections and the political system. It's too bad if you don't like it. It's the law. Get more of your guys into the legislature and change the law.
Please, where is health insurance a constitutionally guaranteed right? Where is it in current law?

Fact: NO ONE is denied healthcare in this country because of their inability to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Hey, moneybags, you're STILL not paying the full boat. Your employer is paying for some of it and probably your state is paying for some of it. Hopefully you're the member of some group plan, which knocks the risk down to the insurer even more. Tell us how easy it is for you make a claim, like if you injure your neck in an auto accident. Etc. Etc.
I pay for my own insurance. I picked the plan. I pay the premium.

How easy is it to file a claim? Very.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel View Post
Public emergency rooms are legally prohibited from turning sick patients away. This unreimbursed cost gets passed on to taxpayers and the medically insured.
Not exactly.
Public emergency rooms have to provide emergency care only. They can and do turn sick people away after this initial patch job.

The cost is not passed on to taxpayers as the Federal government does not reimburse the hospital.
The cost is born by other patients, regardless of their taxpayer status, and not just the medically insured, anyone who pays for treatment subsidizes those who can't pay.

And the medically insured are actually subsidized by paying customers. The insurance companies notoriously negotiate prices too close to the bone, the shortfall is made up by the uninsured who can/are forced to pay out of pocket, usually being billed up to 10 times as much as insured individuals.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Please, where is health insurance a constitutionally guaranteed right? Where is it in current law?

Fact: NO ONE is denied healthcare in this country because of their inability to pay.
Noone's denied EMERGENCY healthcare. Obviously there's a lot more to healthcare than dealing with emergencies.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 PM

562 posts, read 659,544 times
I think Hillary Clinton can 'go to hell' with her ideas about medicine and health care. That communist "B*tch" needs to be run right out of the arena, and that's putting it very nicely for me.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,177 times
Communist? Does that make Ronald Reagan a leftist and Mussolini a moderate?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
I think Hillary Clinton can 'go to hell' with her ideas about medicine and health care. That communist "B*tch" needs to be run right out of the arena, and that's putting it very nicely for me.
So what is your solution to the problems of America's healthcare, or do you feel the system is just fine the way it is?

Also, if you think that Hilary is a communist, you have obviously not studied much communism. I suggest picking up a copy of "Communist Manifesto" and actually reading it (I have read it, I certainly don't agree with it, but I figure if everyone is going to throw around that word as often as they do, I might as well know what it means), and you will see first hand how far away Hillary is from communism. Until she starts talking about the violent overthrow of capitalism and the rise of the proletariat against the degenerate bourgeoisie (hint, she isn't going to do that) then she is simply more left leaning than you, but hardly a communist. Straight from the Communist Manifesto itself are these ideas of a communist state:

1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.
4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
5. Centralisation of credit in the banks of the state, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.
6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
8. Equal liability of all to work. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of all the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the populace over the country.
10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children’s factory labour in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production, &c, &c.

I've been following the Hillary campaign, and I have yet to hear her suggest that we abolish private property, the banking system, and newspapers.

Last edited by j33; 09-26-2007 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-26-2007, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I think that there should be no "health insurance", government subsidies or protections like patented drugs or medical licensing. Get the government completely out of healthcare. All medical costs should be paid by in cash by the recipients out of pocket and savings. There should always be more than one provider competing for the business by price. Then there would be a system of many customers and many suppliers. I wonder where such a market would balance the demand with the supply and at what price.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Noone's denied EMERGENCY healthcare. Obviously there's a lot more to healthcare than dealing with emergencies.
Thank you!

As long as the "righteously self-sufficient" crowd clings to self-affirming myths and misinformation, we'll never have real change in this country.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,689,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Many of the cashiers under me weren't the "secondary of a two-income family." Though, I'm basing my judgement off of my experiences in service-related work. Not everyone really has the luxury of going to college after high school - you can name any number of examples through facts and figures, and I'm sure I can list, by real name even, examples of my point.

As for the children thing.. Do you think imposing a limit on children vs income would then be beneficial? BTW, this would never work. Different people manage their money differently - some can live a comfortable live with 5 kids and $40K income, some can not. They don't teach how to balance a checkbook or manage finances in high school - and some don't even take it in college. ((You wouldn't believe how many people at Wal-mart I had to teach how to balance a checkbook to...))

Nobody is penalizing you for having the opportunity and ambition to make more money. But rather, give those who do have lower income jobs proper healthcare. I still think that some private insurance and private hospitals should still exist for people, like yourself, who don't want to "subject themselves" to "government run" hospitals and the likes.

Kind of like how my father can go to the VA for his Navy-related injuries... or go to Sentara and pay out of pocket. Or like how a military family can go to the military hospital for free or go to a private hospital for a co-pay.

Personally, I think healthcare should be free for all persons from birth to high school diploma. Yes, maybe some parents shouldn't have had x amount of kids... but is it really right to punish the kids? In some states, if a child has any left over medical bills (from their parents lack of insuring them...) then NOW the child/adult is responsible.
Someone has probably replied to this, but I needed to respond before I went onto other posts and forgot.
Someone MUST pay for the health insurance for those who can't afford it, if you want the government to provide it for them. Those persons are the ones like me who can afford to pay for our own health insurance and whose taxes will be raised to pay for the less fortunate.
I don't advocate limiting the number of children anyone can have. However, I do believe that those who make the decision to have more children though they can't afford it shouldn't expect me to subsidize that mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies