Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,566,204 times

Advertisements

amazinjohn will have to pay more taxes. My heart bleeds with sympathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,668,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
So what is your solution to the problems of America's healthcare, or do you feel the system is just fine the way it is?

Also, if you think that Hilary is a communist, you have obviously not studied much communism. I suggest picking up a copy of "Communist Manifesto" and actually reading it (I have read it, I certainly don't agree with it, but I figure if everyone is going to throw around that word as often as they do, I might as well know what it means), and you will see first hand how far away Hillary is from communism. Until she starts talking about the violent overthrow of capitalism and the rise of the proletariat against the degenerate bourgeoisie (hint, she isn't going to do that) then she is simply more left leaning than you, but hardly a communist. Straight from the Communist Manifesto itself are these ideas of a communist state:

1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.
4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
5. Centralisation of credit in the banks of the state, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.
6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
8. Equal liability of all to work. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of all the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the populace over the country.
10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children’s factory labour in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production, &c, &c.

I've been following the Hillary campaign, and I have yet to hear her suggest that we abolish private property, the banking system, and newspapers.
Sounds like the Democrat Party platform for 2008. Actually many liberals have these as goals since they believe that government can and should solve all problems. If you'll look at many of the democrat proposals, you'll realize that they are incremental steps toward these conclusions. These are just down-n-dirty responses:

1. What is the Real Estate tax if not rent being paid to the government?
2. No need to explain this one.
3. Inheritance Tax
4. Not yet implemented.
5. Moving away from the gold standard with the Federal Reserve setting interest rates.
6. FAA and DOT
7. Farm subsidizes and emission standards, et. al.
8. Actually, liberals advocate that only the wealthy need to work to pay for the poors welfare.
9. Not yet implemented.
10. NEA

Government controlled healthcare insurance is just another step in this same direction.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
amazinjohn will have to pay more taxes. My heart bleeds with sympathy.
The more that's taken from me in taxes, the less I'll have to provide for those who really deserve it.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,127,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel View Post
Public emergency rooms are legally prohibited from turning sick patients away. This unreimbursed cost gets passed on to taxpayers and the medically insured.
Actually, as somebody else said, hospitals turn away sick patients all of the time. Emergency rooms only have to secure that the person is not going to die of whatever is ailing them. Beyond that, you're lucky if you're not insured and they actually treat you.

Most of the time, if a person is uninsured they follow this procedure:

1) Ensure that the problem is not live threatening
2) Send 'em home with Motrin or Tylenol (for pain) and amoxycillin (or another antibiotic to kill any possible infection)
3) And some/most women/girls will also request a fluconazole script for after the amoxycillin (it happens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel
That's right, Park Twain, and my employer would not be paying for ANY of it if I weren't working!! Guess what??? My employer doesn't pay a RED CENT for people that are are not in his employ. What a strange concept. As far as calling me "moneybags," we work hard and live on a strict budget. We go without LOTS of things.
My employer doesn't assist in the insurance offered. It just comes out of our paychecks. It's actually more expensive for me to go through my job than to get individual ((but I don't have insurance anyways.. I'd rather invest my monies)) And before you say that I should change jobs for better benefits, I'm quite happy where I work - and the pay is pretty decent.

AmaznJohn, yes, there are ways to abuse the system. Such as the Medicaid family who had the high-end SUV. Just as there are rich people who lie and cheat the system so that they pay as little taxes as possible. As for your problem about how to pay for two $700 root canals - your insurance is supposed to take care of non-cosmetic dental procedures... oh wait? Is that not covered? Or is that what you have to pay out of pocket AFTER insurance?

The concept of health insurance is a disgusting concept that people actually have grown to believe is "proper" and "just." You pay a company x amount of dollars so that hopefully if you get sick, break a leg, or need a root canal or whatever that you won't have to front the entirety of the bill.

As per root canals, sorry that you had to have that done, I've heard it's quite painful.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,145,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The more that's taken from me in taxes, the less I'll have to provide for those who really deserve it.
The less disposable income you have, the less you have available to spend on goods and services. The less you spend on goods and services, the less jobs that are needed to provide those goods and services. The less jobs there are, the more poor we will have in this nation

Does that about cover it?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,302,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn

1. What is the Real Estate tax if not rent being paid to the government?
The money owed to service your land: roadways, fire and police protection, and everything else that makes a city a good place to live and keeps your property values worth more than a similar lot in B.F.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaznJohn
3. Inheritance Tax
If you're part of the small percentage of 1% that will ever be affected by the inheritance (AKA ESTATE) tax, and you HAVEN'T taken steps to shield your assets using many of the asset protection and probate avoiding vehicles out there, you are too stupid for your money in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaznJohn
6. FAA and DOT
Both good things! So communism = good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amznjohn
7. Farm subsidizes and emission standards, et. al.
Amazing...I didn't realize farmers and agricultural states leaned liberal!

Quote:
8. Actually, liberals advocate that only the wealthy need to work to pay for the poors welfare.
No. We think only the wealthy should have increased taxes. That's a BIG difference.

Quote:
Government controlled healthcare insurance is just another step in this same direction.

Do we think GM would be hemoragging market share if the US economy didn't PHYSICALLY make them less competitive because of our "free market" (HA!) healthcare access system?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The less disposable income you have, the less you have available to spend on goods and services. The less you spend on goods and services, the less jobs that are needed to provide those goods and services. The less jobs there are, the more poor we will have in this nation

Does that about cover it?
You're spot on. However, I was referring to the resources I provide to those I know who work hard and still have financial problems. The more taxes that are taken from me, the less of I have to help these truly needy individuals/families.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The money owed to service your land: roadways, fire and police protection, and everything else that makes a city a good place to live and keeps your property values worth more than a similar lot in B.F.E.

If you're part of the small percentage of 1% that will ever be affected by the inheritance (AKA ESTATE) tax, and you HAVEN'T taken steps to shield your assets using many of the asset protection and probate avoiding vehicles out there, you are too stupid for your money in the first place.

Both good things! So communism = good?

Amazing...I didn't realize farmers and agricultural states leaned liberal!

No. We think only the wealthy should have increased taxes. That's a BIG difference.

Do we think GM would be hemoragging market share if the US economy didn't PHYSICALLY make them less competitive because of our "free market" (HA!) healthcare access system?
You justifying these validates my points.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,145,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You're spot on. However, I was referring to the resources I provide to those I know who work hard and still have financial problems. The more taxes that are taken from me, the less of I have to help these truly needy individuals/families.
Agreed.

Private charities / entities can help those in need better, quicker and cheaper. The less money I have to give to these groups, the less help they can give.

Very good point you made - thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Agreed.

Private charities / entities can help those in need better, quicker and cheaper. The less money I have to give to these groups, the less help they can give.

Very good point you made - thanks
But, of course, I'm just a heartless, indifferent individual, only concerned about my almighty dollar. So what do I know about fairness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies