Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 10:50 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,943,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Think about the process old people use to get Medicare.

Apply to "everyone."

Done.
Well, then we have the cost of Medicare go up dramatically to afford "everyone". Consider then that everyone is already paying for it already and it is not enough to sustain those who are currently retiring to use or have been using it early on.

Then consider how worthless Medicare is. Those who claim it is good I can't see as ever having experienced the private system to any effect. As I already mentioned once before, my mother used it when she retired and dropped using it (even as a secondary) to go to private due to the poor performance and issues with the system.

So what your response says is "You will pay, and you can choose not to use it, but you will still pay for it".

That is hardly a just system. I mean, the complaint is that people don't have health care or can't afford it. So all this system does is take away the ability financially to actualy afford it due to the significant tax increase.

So, people like my mother who CAN afford to use private now through proper budgeting, will no longer be able to afford private health care due to the increase in taxes (she still has income after retirement that is taxed) and is then FORCED to use a system that she gave up because it was terrible.

Freedom of choice? Nope. Oppression dictated by the social mob. Pure democracy in action which is just majority oppression to the minority. Though the "majority" does not care, they think they are right anyway and anyone who disagrees is just plain out of luck. Hardly a "free" system don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 10:52 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,239,524 times
Quote:

Apply to "everyone."

Done.
Interesting -

Does everyone HAVE TO GET Medicare? Can they "opt out" of Medicare? Or, is it mandated?

And, what about those who will not / cannot qualify for Medicare?

Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,860,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
To those who advocate / support UHI - a couple of questions:

1) Would this UHI be mandated? Would everyone be required to "get it"?

2) Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, how do you propose to make everyone sign up for UHI?

3) What would you do about those who do not want to sign up for UHI?

4) Would Americans be entitled to "opt out" of UHI?

The above is a good start I think
Superb questions, all of them!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:47 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,860,354 times
Quote:

Apply to "everyone."

Done.
Well, uh... That just doesn't inspire much confidence at all!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,385,613 times
Quote:
Interesting -

Does everyone HAVE TO GET Medicare? Can they "opt out" of Medicare? Or, is it mandated?

And, what about those who will not / cannot qualify for Medicare?
I'm about 30 years away from qualifying, so maybe a trip to the AARP website would be good.

Would appear to me, however, that if Medicare were expanded to all, there wouldn't BE a class of persons who "cannot qualify" for medicare, and those that don't want to get it (and I'm pretty sure nobody is FORCED to sign up for medicare) can use their own private insurance in lieu of or in addition to medicare.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:20 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,943,668 times
Quote:
I'm about 30 years away from qualifying, so maybe a trip to the AARP website would be good.

Would appear to me, however, that if Medicare were expanded to all, there wouldn't BE a class of persons who "cannot qualify" for medicare, and those that don't want to get it (and I'm pretty sure nobody is FORCED to sign up for medicare) can use their own private insurance in lieu of or in addition to medicare.
They are still paying for it though. Thats the problem. You pay for Medicare already, everyone does. It is just that you can't use it until you reach a certain age or you qualify for specific reasons.

So, the fact that I can choose my own insurance doesn't help the fact that in order for them to cover everyone, they are going to have to increase the taxes that they are already pulling out for medicare to cover everyone. So, If I "opt" out, I pay for two insurances in full.

I want my "opt out" to be "I don't pay into the system, because I don't use the system".

Old 10-28-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

That is hardly a just system. I mean, the complaint is that people don't have health care or can't afford it. So all this system does is take away the ability financially to actualy afford it due to the significant tax increase.
Nah, because people WON'T be shoveling money into the unjust private system where claims are denied. What they'll experience in a "tax increase" would easily be offset by what they were shoveling into "premiums" PLUS yearly "deductible" before coverage even sets in!

Oh yeah, and since businesses won't have to pay that anymore, they can offer better wages. Or, ya know, we can simply take away tax cuts for the absurdly wealthy, give the middle class a tax cut AND reduce spending on crap like wars in foreign countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander
So, people like my mother who CAN afford to use private now through proper budgeting, will no longer be able to afford private health care due to the increase in taxes (she still has income after retirement that is taxed) and is then FORCED to use a system that she gave up because it was terrible.
Ah yes, such a TERRIBLE system medicare is! If the most beloved social program of the 20th century after SSI is so terrible, it would have been overhauled, done away with, or been replaced with one of your fab-u-LESS private plans by now. Most criticisms lodged against Medicare are solvency issues, not quality issues. The exact opposite of private plans where solvency is never an issue, but quality IS.

Oh, and tell mom to move to Florida where her pension and income won't be income taxed. Or throw her a couple bucks every now and then and help her out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander
Freedom of choice? Nope. Oppression dictated by the social mob. Pure democracy in action which is just majority oppression to the minority. Though the "majority" does not care, they think they are right anyway and anyone who disagrees is just plain out of luck. Hardly a "free" system don't you think?
Give me a break. Only a small percentage of people who have private insurance actively CHOOSE the private insurance on their own volition. It is often what they HAVE to take, based on price, or based on whatever it is their company offers. Indeed, it creates a competitively disadvantaged economy on more levels than one (companies forced to pay medical costs lose out to countries that offer universal plans, and employees being "stuck" in jobs they don't like because they "can't lose the insurance benefit").

Shills for insurance companies don't demonstrate how "Managed care" helps ANYONE so long as pencil neck insurance company paper pushers get to be the final arbiter of what sorts of treatment a patient can have. That's why you'll find tons of doctors who are against private insurance.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

I want my "opt out" to be "I don't pay into the system, because I don't use the system".
Sorry, but you live in a place called "civil society."

I'm so tired of the "I don't use it so I shouldn't have to pay for it argument."

Maybe next we can start charging per mile driven on highways, and a "pay per use" system for libraries, fire stations, schools, police forces....and maybe I'll stop paying taxes that will go to buy bombs since I don't use it and shouldn't have to pay for it.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,239,524 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you live in a place called "civil society."

I'm so tired of the "I don't use it so I shouldn't have to pay for it argument."
Speaking only for myself, I did "opt out" of Social Security many years ago - I have not paid into the "system" for well over 20 years. I can never get social security or medicare (and I'm of the age where I can) and I'm very happy about it

I like my private insurance - and, I'm one of those who will never accept a government plan

Old 10-28-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Speaking only for myself, I did "opt out" of Social Security many years ago - I have not paid into the "system" for well over 20 years. I can never get social security or medicare (and I'm of the age where I can) and I'm very happy about it

I like my private insurance - and, I'm one of those who will never accept a government plan
Ok, fine.

But I'm sure you'll drive on them government roadways and accept customers who get government subsidized and re-insured mortgages, right?

ALL of us benefit from the type of society we live in. ALL of us. Even the rich wouldn't be "as rich" if our money wasn't spent propping up the social and legal climate necessary for business to thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies