Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Michelle Malkin, champion of minorities. Yeah right. Crocodile tears, faux outrage.

Excellent job of name calling but so little of any substance in your post. Old Saul would be very proud of you. You do know that Alinsky was a Communist, I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I ask the exact same thing of the catholic church. They are the real creatures don't you agree. Margaret Sanger had her opinions....nothing wrong with that. Did she act on them, except on birth control, ..... no so what's the problem.
It is the people Sanger wanted to use her birth control ideas on that really bother me. She was a pure racist and it was black people she wanted to control births for.

Do you really think that Sanger and her progressive friends should have had any say about what people were allowed to have babies? Would you accept her thinking about neutering people she considered of low intelligence and other abilities?

You are so excited about Catholics not giving up to Obama on this recent attack and I support them because I know that once you allow this to be done by government they will attack someone else over their religion. Only fools are willing to accept this attack on religion in order to make the next one easier.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I guess if I can admire a slaveholder, Thomas Jefferson, as a champion of liberty the left can admire Sanger despite her attempt to commit genocide on black Americans. PP is the organization most responsible for keeping Gore from winning in 2000. Gotta thank them for that. I ain't gotta take the bus to work.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM

840 posts, read 781,386 times
I agree with what she wanted it to be. But it has not become what she wanted it to be. Its been corrupted and taken over by undesirables destroying the fabric of this country.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
When Sanitorium has birth control banned there will be loads of unfit children being born so the Government will need to decide which babies will live and which will be aborted.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
From the Michelle Malkin article:

In other writings, historian Mike Perry found, Sanger attacked programs that provided “medical and nursing facilities to slum mothers” because they “facilitate the function of maternity” when “the absolute necessity is to discourage it.”

From Sanger's "The Pivot of Civilization" that Mike Perry referenced.

The pivot of civilization - Margaret Sanger - Google Books

Such benevolence is not merely superficial and near sighted. It conceals a stupid cruelty because it is not courageous enough to face unpleasant facts. Aside from the question of the unfitness of many women to become mothers, aside from the very definite deterioration in the human stock that such programs would inevitably hasten, we may question its value even to the normal though unfortunate mother. For it is never the intention of such philanthropy to give the poor over burdened and often undernourished mother of the slum the opportunity to make the choice herself, to decide whether she wishes time after to time to bring children into the world. It merely says "Increase and multiply: We are prepared to help you do this." Whereas the great majority of mothers realize the grave responsibility they face in keeping alive and rearing the children they have already brought into the world, the maternity center would teach them how to have more. The poor woman is taught how to have her seventh child, when what she wants to know is how to avoid bringing into the world her eighth.

I find nothing wrong with providing woman with the choice in deciding whether or not they want to bring another child into this world. Particularly when the choice involves Birth Control, which is the method Sanger would have been referencing.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess if I can admire a slaveholder, Thomas Jefferson, as a champion of liberty the left can admire Sanger despite her attempt to commit genocide on black Americans. PP is the organization most responsible for keeping Gore from winning in 2000. Gotta thank them for that. I ain't gotta take the bus to work.
However Sanger was not attempting to commit genocide on Black Americans. She fought for the freedom of Women, both black and white, to control reproduction.

Which is why Dr. King wrote the following about Sanger.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/abo...ng-jr-4728.htm

There is a striking kinship between our movement and Margaret Sanger's early efforts. She, like we, saw the horrifying conditions of ghetto life. Like we, she knew that all of society is poisoned by cancerous slums. Like we, she was a direct actionist — a nonviolent resister. She was willing to accept scorn and abuse until the truth she saw was revealed to the millions. At the turn of the century she went into the slums and set up a birth control clinic, and for this deed she went to jail because she was violating an unjust law. Yet the years have justified her actions. She launched a movement which is obeying a higher law to preserve human life under humane conditions. Margaret Sanger had to commit what was then called a crime in order to enrich humanity, and today we honor her courage and vision; for without them there would have been no beginning. Our sure beginning in the struggle for equality by nonviolent direct action may not have been so resolute without the tradition established by Margaret Sanger and people like her. Negroes have no mere academic nor ordinary interest in family planning. They have a special and urgent concern.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It is the people Sanger wanted to use her birth control ideas on that really bother me. She was a pure racist and it was black people she wanted to control births for.
Sanger repudiated her earlier racism due to World War II and the Holocaust and seeing what eugenics had led to. Her repudiation of her earlier racism was sincere.

She was not the only person who had been racist when young but upon seeing the results of what Nazism produced became anti-racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies