Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times

Advertisements

nobody is defending the rights for someone to commit a crime.. its defending the rights of a person.. who might be getting unfair treatment because people are outraged and acting on anger and impulse, rather than following the laws... people are quick to grab their pitch forks and lanturns and burn people at the steak.. that is what they are trying to say... nobody is excusing the disgusting behaviour... but is it ok to act disgustingly back? its not a very christian way to act.. yet the first ones to jump on board are christian right wingers... a Liberal stance says.. Lets take a step back and look at this logically.. and find out just exactly what is happening.. and try to understand why it happened.. and what is a good solution to deal with the person.. and the problem that exists.. without treading on anyone's rights in the process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 05:49 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I appreciate your concern, Berkshire. I guess I just haven't noticed any of my liberties having been meaningfully compromised. You'd think a crafty intellectual like me would have perceived it right off, too.
Oh, you mean your liberties weren't taken?

Well, I know I personally can't carry a gun wherever I want. I can get wiretapped. In some instances I can have cops bust into my house with "probable cause". Cities in the US are putting cameras everywhere. If I'm considered a "terrorist" which is basicly anyone against the gov't, I can be put in a secret jail and denied a trial.

Good thing I still have my liberties.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Oh, you mean your liberties weren't taken?

Well, I know I personally can't carry a gun wherever I want. I can get wiretapped. In some instances I can have cops bust into my house with "probable cause". Cities in the US are putting cameras everywhere. If I'm considered a "terrorist" which is basicly anyone against the gov't, I can be put in a secret jail and denied a trial.

Good thing I still have my liberties.
But you see, that should not matter to you. You can always sue them.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times
OK, let's think for a moment. The Dems OKed the Patriot Act too. And if anyone thinks this stuff did not occur prior to Bush being in office, then you are only fooling yourself. It has been going on for years and will continue to do so regardless of a Patriot Act being in place.

And I don't get the liberal mindset for things like this. They want to empower the government with all kinds of programs, make it larger and infringe on our lives, but then they complain about civil liberties being violated by the same big government that they wanted in the first place. Be careful what you wish for, you may actually get it.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:59 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Funny I was kind of thinking the same thing. But inverted.

Conservative "Remember Ruby Ridge!" types are always harping about government intrusions in their lives. Yet they seem to have no problem with the "smaller government" they always want wiretapping or having the rights to take your records or belongings and there is nothing you can do about it.

Go figure.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I think people who believe that the US is a repressive country with a government that is dedicated to controlling the thoughts and opinions of its citizens in harmful ways need to travel overseas and get some experience dealing with other governments. A little perspective would be helpful in this context.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Very nice point! This is why I hate to see Bush start us down this slippery slope of Big Brotherdom.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Very nice point! This is why I hate to see Bush start us down this slippery slope of Big Brotherdom.
Well, he's only got 14 more months to complete his nefarious schemes.

And I'm sure the Democrats will reverse it all.

After all, no one hates absolute power more than Hillary.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Okay. I'll keep an eye on my liberties at all times.

Oh, and by the way -- it's okay for Google and Safeway to keep tabs on us, right?

You have a CHOICE whether or not to specifically use Google or "Safeway."

The internet and phone are a BIT broader, no? Plus, can Google put you in jail?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:53 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,340 times
Quote:
I think people who believe that the US is a repressive country with a government that is dedicated to controlling the thoughts and opinions of its citizens in harmful ways need to travel overseas and get some experience dealing with other governments. A little perspective would be helpful in this context.
So in other words, just say it's ok for our government to exercise more authority than it was given by the people because we'll just compare it to some true totalitatian government and say "see, it isnt as bad as that place".

Do you also take battered wives to cemetaries and say "get over it, at least you're not dead like some of the other woman who were beaten to death"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies