Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
See there you go. 10,000 per pupil =/= 24,000 per pupil.
24000 was in Washington DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In this case, the Left has sided with teachers' unions over the poor. More votes and more campaign cash and legwork from teachers' unions than from the poor.

(While the Left often gives lip service to the poor, they don't really pander to the poor as much as some conservatives think - again, competing interests, and the poor generally cannot win that conflict politically.)
And, in every other instance, the "right" sides with the rich. Except in this one instance. I smell a rat.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Parents can attend the school board meetings to demand change.
This is their money at work.

Campaign cash trumps attending school board meetings, and the poor cannot win that competition.

Also, school board elections are often held (deliberately) at inconvenient and unusual times, in order to avoid promoting widespread voter turnout. (It's much easier to pass school taxes when only the insiders vote than when there's a huge turnout.)

In Michigan, most school elections are held on the second Monday in June, at a time when schools are in recess, plus the average voter expects elections to be held on a Tuesday. Does a 10 percent voter turnout give the winning candidates a mandate?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
24000 was in Washington DC
Yes and it used CATO numbers which, as I pointed out, includes all sorts of unrelated spending including this very program. Do you ever question why the CATO number is 240% the national average?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
They cannot be fixed under current teacher union domination. Parents paying school taxes - especially poor parents who often pay higher school taxes than the middle class - deserve more and better choices.
I call BS on this.
How are poor parents paying higher school taxes?
School taxes are assessed on property values.
If they're so poor, how are they owning properties?

I own 2 houses.
I didn't breed and I attended parochial school, for which my parents paid.

Please share your logic, if there is any...

Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Yes and it used CATO numbers which, as I pointed out, includes all sorts of unrelated spending including this very program. Do you ever question why the CATO number is 240% the national average?
Present yoru link to counter the info in the article

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
And, in every other instance, the "right" sides with the rich. Except in this one instance. I smell a rat.

There is a lot of hate on the right for teachers unions, whom they blame for gouging them (through inflated salaries, benefits, and pensions), 'dumbing down' our kids, and teaching them unwelcome values ('Heather Has Two Mommies", it's great to be gay, you can't mention God).

The right wants the poor to become just as well off as to get off the dole and to have enough of a stake to vote with the right...but not enough well off to compete with the rich and wealthy. (e.g. they want more people to invest in the markets, as this gives them a stake which in turn leads them to want to protect it from government, and thus to vote with the right.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Present yoru link to counter the info in the article
Ok

D.C., Maryland rank near top in per-pupil spending | Washington Examiner
D.C. schools have second-highest per-pupil spending rate | TBD.com

It is about 16,000 which is about what I figured it would be when you subtract all the CATO BS.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I call BS on this.
How are poor parents paying higher school taxes?
School taxes are assessed on property values.
If they're so poor, how are they owning properties?

I own 2 houses.
I didn't breed and I attended parochial school, for which my parents paid.

Please share your logic, if there is any...

Since you apparently are from "Earth" I have no idea how much your property taxes are, but in most states, rental property (where poor parents live) is taxed at higher rates than owner-occupied homes. (It's called 'split roll' property taxes.) Poor parents rarely own homes, but they surely bear property taxes since their landlords are in business to make a profit and therefore must recover all their costs (including property taxes) plus make an acceptable profit, otherwise they will sell their property and invest in something else. It is a basic conservative principle that business merely collects and remits taxes - business does not really bear taxes - and thus renters (consumers of rental property) bear property taxes. If you think renters don't bear property taxes, you are free to sell your home and join all those freeloading renters. (Funny how not a single homeowner has appreciated that suggestion.)

For example, Michigan has a "nonhomestead tax" which makes the school property tax rate on rental property four times the school property tax rate on owner-occupied homes. For years I lived in a house which had a $1,000+ nonhomestead tax on top of the other property taxes.

Also, apartment buildings of more than 4 units are usually classified as commercial property and thus are subject to substantially higher property tax rates than single-family homes which are classified as residential. While homeowners often complain about property taxes, they often have a very good deal compared with others.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Ok

D.C., Maryland rank near top in per-pupil spending | Washington Examiner
D.C. schools have second-highest per-pupil spending rate | TBD.com

It is about 16,000 which is about what I figured it would be when you subtract all the CATO BS.
And they rank 50th in schools in the country .Ok we settle on 16 400 why not give parents the choice on how to use it since DC is 50th in the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies