Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:05 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times

Advertisements

You would think that with all the wonderful progress of feminism in the last century - the right to vote, the right to divorce at will, contraception and "the pill", the right to have their own children murdered in the womb, the right to romance without strings, the right to reject men for lesbianism, massive economic gains and financial independence, feminist domination of the American workplace, female dominance in academia, a majority of college graduates now being female, etc. etc. etc. - that women would be getting happier and happier and happier!

Instead the reverse is true. The more feminism gains, the more women lose. Women are becoming increasingly more miserable with every nail in the coffin of the patriarchy that once protected them. Read the data: The Paradox of Declining Female Happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
If the life I'm living and the choices I can make about my life constitute unhappiness, unhappiness is a great, great thing!!!

Signed,

Jennifer, a gainfully employed Ph.D. who never had sex to procreate

Last edited by helenejen; 02-19-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Here is the problem. We have now created a society where women can't choose their roles anymore.

If a woman wants to stay at home, raise kids, tend house, she can't do that because most folks can't make it on a single income. The cost of childcare is so high that many women are still forced to stay home to tend kids and the house when they would rather be working.

In a 24/7 non stop society, with few personal connections, and life revolves around a job that most people (including women) don't enjoy, everyone is less happy.

Its got nothing to do with the feminism movement and allowing women to make the choice of what they want to do.

Could also have something to do with the fact that, on average, women make about 70% less then their male counterparts with the exact same qualifications, in the exact same job.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
If Mama aint happy, aint nobody happy.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Here is the problem. We have now created a society where women can't choose their roles anymore.

If a woman wants to stay at home, raise kids, tend house, she can't do that because most folks can't make it on a single income. The cost of childcare is so high that many women are still forced to stay home to tend kids and the house when they would rather be working.

In a 24/7 non stop society, with few personal connections, and life revolves around a job that most people (including women) don't enjoy, everyone is less happy.

Its got nothing to do with the feminism movement and allowing women to make the choice of what they want to do.

Could also have something to do with the fact that, on average, women make about 70% less then their male counterparts with the exact same qualifications, in the exact same job.
Well that's not true exactly. People can make it on one salary if they sacrifice. However most people don't want to repeat the lives of their parents, and prefer to have it a little better.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
No wonder I've been a bit bwitchy lately. Who knew.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Well that's not true exactly. People can make it on one salary if they sacrifice. However most people don't want to repeat the lives of their parents, and prefer to have it a little better.
My Grandfather was a single household earner with three kids, and they had a good life.

Now if you make 40K a year, good luck finding a house in a good school district, no internet for your kids (which is almost required today for school work), and good luck getting by on one car in a city without public transportation.

The problem is that, today, 70,000 is like making 40,000 was 20 years ago when your parents could make it on that one income.

Inflation, its the problem with our national debt.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You would think that with all the wonderful progress of feminism in the last century - the right to vote, the right to divorce at will, contraception and "the pill", the right to have their own children murdered in the womb, the right to romance without strings, the right to reject men for lesbianism, massive economic gains and financial independence, feminist domination of the American workplace, female dominance in academia, a majority of college graduates now being female, etc. etc. etc. - that women would be getting happier and happier and happier!

Instead the reverse is true. The more feminism gains, the more women lose. Women are becoming increasingly more miserable with every nail in the coffin of the patriarchy that once protected them. Read the data: The Paradox of Declining Female Happiness.
While the economic depression has hurt men more than women it has hurt women too, hence more female unhappiness.

The rights and freedom of women depend upon economic prosperity. In bad economic times they tend to wither. The 1930s Depression killed feminism (which would not resurrect itself until postwar prosperity hit), for example. However, female progress has probably gone too far to be pushed back like it was in the '30s, which means that men's attitudes towards women have gotten nastier. Women have noticed this which is why they're less happy - but it is a result of women having more economic power than men. In particular there is no longer any excuse for white women recieving affirmative action.

I do not support the blatant state sanctioned sexism of a Rick Santorum (especially because Santorum is also racist, which I view as disgusting and seriously wrong), but I do think that female power has gone too far and that white women (who've benefited from affirmative action more than anyone else) should no longer recieve it.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My Grandfather was a single household earner with three kids, and they had a good life.

Now if you make 40K a year, good luck finding a house in a good school district, no internet for your kids (which is almost required today for school work), and good luck getting by on one car in a city without public transportation.

The problem is that, today, 70,000 is like making 40,000 was 20 years ago when your parents could make it on that one income.

Inflation, its the problem with our national debt.
Nope there are plenty of options for internet outside of the house. There are also plenty of low income options for high speed internet. Also if you save a bit, and have a nice down payment *like people used to* you can get a nice house in a good neighborhood like one of my friends . I'm not saying that people should do that of course, but it is more possible then people think it is.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Nope there are plenty of options for internet outside of the house. There are also plenty of low income options for high speed internet. Also if you save a bit, and have a nice down payment *like people used to* you can get a nice house in a good neighborhood like one of my friends . I'm not saying that people should do that of course, but it is more possible then people think it is.
Average day.

I get up at 5, start work. My son gets up at 6, he is on the bus before 7. He gets out of school at 2:30, but doesn't get home until almost 3:30. Then he is off to boy scouts on Mondays, basketball practice on Tuesday and Thursday, as well as the game on Sunday.

Every night of the week he has homework he has to do online, and he is in second grade.

Times have changed.

You can't make it with a family of 4 in most areas on less then 40K without government assistance of some kind, and still expect to be in a decent area, with a decent school, where you don't have to worry about being mugged daily, because the cops sure aren't going to help you.

My sister and her husband both work, and make less money then I do in a given year, and they have three kids. My oldest niece is in advanced placement classes at her school, which requires more internet access at home.

The real world means that you can't make it on one income, without restricting the things to your children they need for their education, which starts the "poverty cycle". You should really research that, its a very important part of American sociology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies