Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "You don't need a gun, if you make wise choices in life"
I agree with this statement. 41 14.75%
I disagree with this statement. 237 85.25%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times

Advertisements

Guns will not keep you safe. As long as the possibility of danger exists in your mind, you will play a part in manifesting it. That is reality, not the one inhabited by lowlifes that haunt your dreams. I'll tell you what though, fear is pretty creative. It's just not the type of creativity that anyone benefits from.

The "just wait until it happens to you" mantra of the guntoters here is foolish and arises from a threat to their reality. How dare someone manifest peace! That contradicts the dangerous world I'm busy creating every day! How dare you!

It's a choice. The need for protection develops from the belief that one is vulnerable. I wonder how we all got that affliction? And I wonder how anyone thinks a gun is the cure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Guns will not keep you safe. As long as the possibility of danger exists in your mind, you will play a part in manifesting it. That is reality, not the one inhabited by lowlifes that haunt your dreams. I'll tell you what though, fear is pretty creative. It's just not the type of creativity that anyone benefits from.

The "just wait until it happens to you" mantra of the guntoters here is foolish and arises from a threat to their reality. How dare someone manifest peace! That contradicts the dangerous world I'm busy creating every day! How dare you!

It's a choice. The need for protection develops from the belief that one is vulnerable. I wonder how we all got that affliction? And I wonder how anyone thinks a gun is the cure!

yes firearms will not keep you safe. having the training and having a firearm will help. no one is completely safe from anything, but you can help minimize the risks.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes firearms will not keep you safe. having the training and having a firearm will help. no one is completely safe from anything, but you can help minimize the risks.
Vast majority of violent crimes are committed by an aquaintance, quite often a friend or family member. Making good friends and avoiding violent family members is a better strategy. But seriously, what are you going to do if your cousin or friend takes a swing at you, pull it out?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Vast majority of violent crimes are committed by an aquaintance, quite often a friend or family member. Making good friends and avoiding violent family members is a better strategy. But seriously, what are you going to do if your cousin or friend takes a swing at you, pull it out?

very few friends and no relatives that live close by. the few friends i do know, also know that I carry whenever i am awake.

if a friend or relative is trying to commit a violent crime upon me, then I would shoot them just as i would any other criminal.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
Quote:
I beg to differ!~
"Battle is most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best. It removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who let his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essense of manhood." "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week". " A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." "If we take the generally accepted definition of bravery as quality which knows no fear, I have never seen a brave man. All men are frightened. The more intelligent they are, the more they are frightened." "The object of war is not to die for your Country, but to make the other bastard die for his". General George S. Patton U.S. ARMY!

Heat Shootout Scene [High Quality] - YouTube

Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Your argument that violent crime is prevalent is a hollywood movie? By the way, I saw that movie, DeNiro's and Pacino's character knew each other, so my statement stands.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
Quote:
Your argument that violent crime is prevalent is a hollywood movie? By the way, I saw that movie, DeNiro's and Pacino's character knew each other, so my statement stands.
Did you see the REAL event?

1997 North Hollywood Shootout pt.2 - YouTube

Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
I doubt most of us will encounter bank robbers in body armor wielding AK-47's

Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
You are in the minoritiy. To my knowledge, I don't know anyone who has been shot. I even have friends who have been in the military and they never have been shot at
Charlotte NC, 1978, I was working overnight, (As 19 year old kid), at a gas station, I was shot in the right arm during an attempted robbery, and not even 7 months later, on New Years day, (2 AM), While defending a waitress, someone put a 38 in my ear and cocked it.

Now I will agree, both situations could have been avoided, the first, by not working overnight at a place likely to be robbed, (He was caught and served 7 years), and the second instance could have been avoided, had I not been raised a gentleman. The second person, spent 10 years in the Gastonia jail for his actions.

In both cases however the people were illegally armed.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
You don't need a screwdriver, spare tire, extra blankets or hammer if you made wise choices in life.

Seems you would definitely need a firearm if you made just one or a whole lot of bad choices and that would be considered to be making a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies