Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
So parents don't have the right to make a decision regarding their child? That is what you are saying. How very Orwellian of you.
No, I do not believe parents have the right to physically modify their child to such an extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Funny, I just had my son circumcised yesterday. It's not a moral or religious obligation, in my view. There should be complete freedom in this.

However, for my family, there are definite advantages.

1. Health benefits. They aren't terribly critical, but they do exist.
2. Hygiene. The circumcised organ is easier to clean. And it's easier to maintain cleanliness.
3. Culture. It's the American thing to do. Harmless cultural peculiarities are a good thing.
4. Chastity. It's easier to avoid unwanted stimulation.
Yeah having a foreskin makes it SO hard to keep clean .

The last two are hilarious 'reasons'

'Chastity' btw is probably part of the reasoning behind the practice of both male AND female circumcision.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, our childcare provider when my first kid was a baby was muslim and they commented on how he was circumsized as that was a tradtion for them as well. I do not recall what specific area or sect they were.

FYI- they've covered this in the relationship forum but there are a number of US girls that aren't comfortable with guys that are uncircumsized. Just sayin'.
That's cool. Glad I'm not in the US...nor would I be comfortable with girls with such narrow minded views.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why would a person be pissed when completely sold to the idea without having a clue of what he/she lost? In the USA, circumcision has gone from a religious ritual to cosmetic surgery (this is where "partners' perceptions" come into play), and medical excuses to go with it. I believe circumcision peak in the USA was achieved in the 1960s and its "popularity" has been going down since. It wasn't that popular until the 1920s either.
Except for Jews, a few sects of Christians and of course minority Muslims, circumcision has never been for religious reasons in the States. In fact, prior to 1900 being circumcised marked you out as probably being Jewish.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In the US it's mainly done for 'medical' or 'health reasons.'
While people will cite those reasons, I believe it's mostly done out of custom and probably is for more aethetic reasons.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
The social pressure to be circumcised to 'fit in' in the US is laughable to us in other countries.
But not nearly as laughable as the foreign obsession with taking issue with U.S. customs. Nobody here is demanding that you be circumcised, so why should you care about how Americans do things?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
The social pressure to be circumcised to 'fit in' in the US is laughable to us in other countries.
As the poster ReturningWest explained, it was not done to most adults to "fit in," but due to health reasons.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Aww, Trimac, why didn't you jump on one of mine?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Aww, Trimac, why didn't you jump on one of mine?
Sorry Vic, it was late and I just returned from the airport, I wasn't in the mood to read through 55 pages of posts lol.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, our childcare provider when my first kid was a baby was muslim and they commented on how he was circumsized as that was a tradtion for them as well. I do not recall what specific area or sect they were.

FYI- they've covered this in the relationship forum but there are a number of US girls that aren't comfortable with guys that are uncircumsized. Just sayin'.
I know it's a Muslim thing as well but compared to Jews they're not as significant, although this might change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies