Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You mean the economy where all but the wealthiest Americans haven't seen any real gains since 1970? The Big Top can't take all of the credit for that. They had some help creating that economy from the Democrats, who also love to cravenly suck up to rich, corporate interests.
Did the middle class do better during those years or in the Obama years? Right. And that despite spending more than any time in our history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm thinking you cut and paste from somewhere else.

1.The First Hispanic Governor was a Republican, in 1863, Romualdo Pacheco of CA
2.Republicans freed the slaves,Republicans passed the 13th Amendment unanimously – against nearly unanimous Democrat opposition

1st statement was wrong. Pacheco was not Governor in 1863.

2nd statement wrong. It wasn't "nearly unanimous Democrat opposition".

I think it's two strikes for you. When I get some more time, I'll go through the rest of the list and we'll probably have a few more strikes.
You are wrong about both. Although it was 1875 he was still the first hispanic governor and was a republican. The republicans are the prty that freed the slaves and created the civil right act. The democrats have tried to re write history. And you are trying to split hairs because you can not win the argument.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Do you think there is still the kind of equality that existed 50 years ago. Let me answer for you. There is not.
What does that have to do w/ anything? If anything that shows how far from their roots the Republicans have fallen if they have nothing of note to show in the last 50 years?

I wonder if that has anything to do w/ the Southern Strat, welcoming any & all manner of bigots, and the mass exodus of the racist elements of Democrats to the Republican banner...

Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Did the middle class do better during those years or in the Obama years? Right. And that despite spending more than any time in our history.
This the problem with current political discussions, rik. Obama became president weeks after the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. And yet, people want to generalize as if the state of the current economy is in any way a reflection of his policies. There was a time when honest men would laugh and call the person putting forth this argument a fool -- no matter what political affiliations they held. These days, it's just par for the course.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
The middle class did better when the tax rates were at their highest levels. (During the late 50's through early 70's). So lets take the tax code, and turn back the time to 1968.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
What does that have to do w/ anything? If anything that shows how far from their roots the Republicans have fallen if they have nothing of note to show in the last 50 years?

I wonder if that has anything to do w/ the Southern Strat, welcoming any & all manner of bigots, and the mass exodus of the racist elements of Democrats to the Republican banner...
Eddie, you're forgetting that the Republicans have done two things for minorities since then -- 1) they established this wonderful economy in which everyone, including minorities, can flourish and 2) humanitarians that they are, freed women from the evil clutches of the Taliban. Now a cynic would assume that second one was really about killing our enemies and had nothing to do with gender matters per se, but don't you believe it. That great gender warrior George W. Bush would have invaded Afghanistan and built those girls schools even if they weren't harboring Bin Laden.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
A thread based on the twisting of history...from a Republican/Conservative???

Next I'll hear how Nathan Bedford fought for the rights of freed slaves..

Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You are wrong about both. Although it was 1875 he was still the first hispanic governor and was a republican. The republicans are the prty that freed the slaves and created the civil right act. The democrats have tried to re write history. And you are trying to split hairs because you can not win the argument.
In this very long thread not one person has disagreed with you that once upon time the Republican Party was the party of racial progressiveness. However, that time ended -- rather blantantly -- in the early 1960s. When you look at the 1960s until now, it's very easy to see which party the bigots have found a home in. You're accusing the Democrats of rewriting history, but you're the one who's trying to engage in some revisionism. Sorry... the albatross of bigotry is yours to wear. The Republicans didn't seem to mind being the party of bigotry back when whistling Dixie was still getting them enough votes to justify it. Now, when it looks like that strategy has finally become too much of a liability, they are doing their damndest to run away from their own history. That sorry timeline the RNC gen'd up didn't do much for the cause. They are going to have to do better than that if they want to fool more than the very stupidest and most guillable.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
A thread based on the twisting of history...from a Republican/Conservative???

Next I'll hear how Nathan Bedford fought for the rights of freed slaves..
Haven't you heard? Nathan Bedford had the best interests of the slaves at heart. He was just saving them from those meddlesome Yankees who so cruelly freed them before they were ready. (Sadly, I wish I weren't making the exact same argument that racists have made for the past 150 years. I find it sad that the OP, a black man, is falling for this claptrap.)

Rik, if you want to be a Republican -- great. I can see how it appeals to certain interests and people of certain inclinations. The truth is that the Republican Party of 2012 is trying very hard to bury its racist past. I am all for a Republican Party that reaches out to people of color, and I'm all for people of color having a choice of two or more parties. You can't rewrite history though.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post

Exactly what I pointed out in my post on the first page of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies