Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,192,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This. Absolutely.
Notice who suggested Obama the first time. So far, as I read thru, nobody on the left has suggested anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,765,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Reagan the union buster.
Reagan didn't bust the union. They did that themselves. Every one of their employees (and the union management) knew that the job of Air Traffic Controller was so important, that it had a no-strike clause in every employment contract. I promise not to strike, on pain of summary termination of my employment, or words to that effect. The employees and union bosses knew that going in, before they ever signed up for the job, and they agreed to it in writing.

And after they were safely in, they decided to strike.

So Reagan, as boss of all Federal employees, simply invoked that part of the contract they had knowingly signed... after giving them lots of warnings and time to reconsider.

If they didn't want to get fired for striking, they shouldn't have signed a contract saying it's OK to fire me for striking.

They busted themselves. Reagan simply held up his end of the bargain.

I'm not surprised that the leftists now try to rewrite history and pretend he did something he shouldn't... when it was their own union thugs who tried to do something they shouldn't.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,903,529 times
One of my favorite presidents is Grover Cleveland. If they had to carve just one more face, my suggestion is Grover Cleveland ... the only occupant of the White House from the great state of New Jersey.

As a Pennsylvanian I wish I could nominate Pennsylvania's James Buchanan of Lancaster ... probably the USA's only GAY President (although I have my doubts about ol' Abe Lincoln - the original Log Cabin Republican! - according to his biographer Carl Sandburg, Abe had "a streak of lavender in him"!) ... but as nice a guy and intelligent and charming "Miss Nancy" or "Aunt Fancy" was (nick-names for Jamie-boy whilst living with his ... um ... male companion in Washington) the fact is: he was a terrible president. Couldn't cope the gathering storm clouds of Secession and impending Civil War.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM

779 posts, read 536,567 times
How about none?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,192,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Reagan didn't bust the union. They did that themselves. Every one of their employees (and the union management) knew that the job of Air Traffic Controller was so important, that it had a no-strike clause
Seems like you're the one making stuff up. What clause?

You certain that REAGUN didn't invoke 5 U.S.C. (Supp. III) and fired them under terms of Taft-Hartley? Before you answer keep in mind one of my friends lost his job.

You are aware that that union had supported REAGUN in the election the year before? He seeks their support before the election and turned his back on their working condition complaints after the election. Nice guy, reagun doesn't get my vote..

Quote:
in every employment contract. I promise not to strike, on pain of summary termination of my employment, or words to that effect. The employees and union bosses knew that going in, before they ever signed up for the job, and they agreed to it in writing.

And after they were safely in, they decided to strike.

So Reagan, as boss of all Federal employees, simply invoked that part of the contract they had knowingly signed... after giving them lots of warnings and time to reconsider.

If they didn't want to get fired for striking, they shouldn't have signed a contract saying it's OK to fire me for striking.

They busted themselves. Reagan simply held up his end of the bargain.

I'm not surprised that the leftists now try to rewrite history and pretend he did something he shouldn't... when it was their own union thugs who tried to do something they shouldn't.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,824,656 times
How about William Henry Harrison?

In office .. 32 days!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,553,374 times
Herbert Hoover. In deference to the current economy.

seriously, no one.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
This is a spin-off of another President's Day-themed thread. Which president's face do you think should be added to Mount Rushmore? Make your case.

NONE, the original needs to be left alone.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,563,068 times
Quote:
This is a spin-off of another President's Day-themed thread. Which president's face do you think should be added to Mount Rushmore? Make your case.
I would love to see FDR, JFK, and President Obama up there one day. They are three of our greatest Presidents.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,268,003 times
Save it for President Palin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies