Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No, no, no...

The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets are receding because it's NOT getting warmer.

The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets are losing mass at an accelerating pace, according to a new NASA-funded satellite study. The findings of the study -- the longest to date of changes in polar ice sheet mass -- suggest these ice sheets are overtaking ice loss from Earth's mountain glaciers and ice caps to become the dominant contributor to global sea level rise, much sooner than model forecasts have predicted.

The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets are melting faster. : Greg Laden's Blog

Interesting, I will raise you two direct citations to studies and match your blog link with another.

This seems to conflict with the GRACE findings.

Widespread Persistent Thickening of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet by Freezing from the Base

Quote:
An International Polar Year aerogeophysical investigation of the high interior of East Antarctica reveals widespread freeze-on that drives significant mass redistribution at the bottom of the ice sheet. While surface accumulation of snow remains the primary mechanism for ice sheet growth, beneath Dome A 24% of the base by area is frozen-on ice. In some places, up to half the ice thickness has been added from below. These ice packages result from conductive cooling of water ponded near the Gamburtsev Subglacial Mountain ridges and supercooling of water forced up steep valley walls. Persistent freeze-on thickens the ice column, alters basal ice rheology and fabric and upwarps the overlying ice sheet, including the oldest atmospheric climate archive, and drives flow behavior not captured in present models.
Not to mention, GRACE has some problems it appears:

GRACE under fire | Watts Up With That?

Quote:
The melting of the ice sheets of Greenland and West Antarctica is about twice as slow as previously thought. The study, conducted by TU Delft, SRON and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The scientists published their findings in the September issue of Nature Geoscience.

We have concluded that the Greenland and West Antarctica ice caps are melting at approximately half the speed originally predicted.’ The average rise in sea levels as a result of the melting ice caps is also lower.

As for Antarctica, well...

http://www.leif.org/EOS/2011GL050713.pdf

Quote:
[15] We found no significant trend in the 1979–2010 ice
sheet integrated SMB components, which confirms the
results from Monaghan et al. [2006]. The estimated SMB
trend, integrated over the ice sheet, equals 3  2 Gt y2.
However, we detect trends on a regional scale. The 32-year
(1979–2010) SMB trend is depicted in Figure S1 in the
auxiliary material.1 In coastal Adélie Land, a negative trend
occurs (2 to 10 mm y2), whereas a positive, but
insignificant trend is found on the western side of the Atlantic
Peninsula and in coastal Dronning Maud Land (2 to
10 mm y2). These trends are only locally significant in
Adélie Land, where strong interannual and multi-annual
variability is also observed [Agosta et al., 2012]. Because
ERA-Interim forces our model at its lateral boundaries,
SMB trends from ERA-Interim and RACMO2.1/ANT are
similar [Nicolas and Bromwich, 2011b]. These trends may be
assumed to be realistic, since ERA-Interim clearly outperforms
other reanalyses concerning Antarctica P-E estimates
[Nicolas and Bromwich, 2011b].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres no doubt climate change is happening the question is whether man is causing it.I wonder if mankind's global usage of close to 100 million barrels of oil per day may have some atmospheric/climatic consequence.

No, it is all caused by the heat the lightbulbs give off during the cooling night time....

Hehehehe!

Work it!

Maurice Strong... No one here has researched this guy and what he is to the global warming scam.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

Yeah, its just shooting up!

And the ice is just melting away at record rate!

Oh wait.... it isn't.

I am sure the Antartic is on a fast track melt and temp increase as well!!!

Well, darn... guess it isn't either.
Cue the denials or outright refusal to acknowledge the data. I linked them to data, but make excuses that the "rhetoric" takes away from the data because they don't want to admit to being wrong. You can always tell this is a fraud, given the fearmongering track record of the environmentalist movement. When the so-called solution to "solve" global warming is to create a global tax to redistribute to the 3rd world, you know your "theory" is bunk. The warm temperatures are very easily explained as the high temps, coincidentally, matches where the jet stream is positioned 2+2=5 with the warmists in the media and their sheep. Nevermind the fact that the Arctic has seen its longest, coldest, iciest winter in years. This, despite the fact that the warmists claim the Arctic is going to lose more and more ice every year, going to get ever warmer, until it is completely ice free. NASA satellite data also showed that the Earth has cooled in 10 years, but James Hansen is nowhere to be seen

Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Interesting, I will raise you two direct citations to studies and match your blog link with another.

This seems to conflict with the GRACE findings.

Widespread Persistent Thickening of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet by Freezing from the Base

Not to mention, GRACE has some problems it appears:

GRACE under fire | Watts Up With That?

As for Antarctica, well...

http://www.leif.org/EOS/2011GL050713.pdf

Ah, yes...

The skeptics. Science benefits from skepticism. We only want to act on solid evidence.

How much is sea level rising?

According to the Arctic Report Card’s update for 2010 (Richter-Menge, J., and J.E. Overland, Eds., 2010: Arctic Report Card 2010, Arctic Report Card ) Greenland experienced the highest recorded melt rate since monitoring began in 1958 with a melt area that was also the highest on record since monitoring begin in 1978. The rate of area loss in marine-terminating glaciers was also calculated to be the greatest on record with 417 km2 of glacier ice being lost. Another interesting caveat to make note of is that some of the same skeptics who trot out this study as evidence of underestimated ice losses, are the same individuals who made claims that its too cold in East Antarctica to lose ice, yet this study finds an ice loss of 23 Gt/year from East Antarctica. Another example of the many skeptic contradictions.

Are ice sheet losses overestimated?

The evidence is solid. The scientific community has come to a consensus. The fossil fuel industry doesn't like what the science says, though. So, they run a campaign to raise doubt among the public. Your posts indicate that they're successful in that agenda.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Ah, yes...

The skeptics. Science benefits from skepticism. We only want to act on solid evidence.

According to the Arctic Report Card’s update for 2010 (Richter-Menge, J., and J.E. Overland, Eds., 2010: Arctic Report Card 2010, Arctic Report Card ) Greenland experienced the highest recorded melt rate since monitoring began in 1958 with a melt area that was also the highest on record since monitoring begin in 1978. The rate of area loss in marine-terminating glaciers was also calculated to be the greatest on record with 417 km2 of glacier ice being lost. Another interesting caveat to make note of is that some of the same skeptics who trot out this study as evidence of underestimated ice losses, are the same individuals who made claims that its too cold in East Antarctica to lose ice, yet this study finds an ice loss of 23 Gt/year from East Antarctica. Another example of the many skeptic contradictions.

Are ice sheet losses overestimated?

The evidence is solid. The scientific community has come to a consensus. The fossil fuel industry doesn't like what the science says, though. So, they run a campaign to raise doubt among the public. Your posts indicate that they're successful in that agenda.
Did you read anything I provided? You can't be this obtuse can you? My links above directly conflict with your mention. You posting the same stupid claim again while not attending to my response shows you are either ignorant of the topic or devious.

So answer to my responses please.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Ah, yes...

the sealevel is at the same level is was in 1840's

the sealevel is nearly the same as it was in 1842
...infact it is BELOW the sealevel mark made in 1842

//www.city-data.com/forum/20906885-post28.html

In 1842 the "Isle of the Dead" in SE Tasmania was selected for the site of a "Mean Sea Level" refernce mark by Capt. James Clark Ross. Today this mark can clearly be seen 35 cm ABOVE the current mean sea level.

you cant deny it

Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Cue the denials or outright refusal to acknowledge the data. I linked them to data, but make excuses that the "rhetoric" takes away from the data because they don't want to admit to being wrong. You can always tell this is a fraud, given the fearmongering track record of the environmentalist movement. When the so-called solution to "solve" global warming is to create a global tax to redistribute to the 3rd world, you know your "theory" is bunk. The warm temperatures are very easily explained as the high temps, coincidentally, matches where the jet stream is positioned 2+2=5 with the warmists in the media and their sheep. Nevermind the fact that the Arctic has seen its longest, coldest, iciest winter in years. This, despite the fact that the warmists claim the Arctic is going to lose more and more ice every year, going to get ever warmer, until it is completely ice free. NASA satellite data also showed that the Earth has cooled in 10 years, but James Hansen is nowhere to be seen
It is sad that they have contaminated science this way, but it has an upside. Their continued political tactics in response to the science will result in them being outcast and treated as lunatics and liars.

what gets me is that they aren't even very smart about it. They keep foaming at the mouth using the same information, the same tactics, and the same dismissals all the while more and more of the observed data and additional finds in the research are showing them to be incorrect.

Add in the fact that they aren't even sly about their retro adjustments of the records and its like watching Larry, Curly, an Moe thrash about like idiots. Their days are numbered and they know it. Enjoy the show while it lasts as this form of blatant idiocy at such a high and obvious level is rare indeed.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
You are, I presume, describing the entire collection of Warming Deniers that have been hired to lie like rugs to the public.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Did you read anything I provided? You can't be this obtuse can you? My links above directly conflict with your mention. You posting the same stupid claim again while not attending to my response shows you are either ignorant of the topic or devious.

So answer to my responses please.
Don't worry, unless you condense your data into small graphs and the text into a couple sentences, they won't read your links. They haven't read my links, or looked at the temperature graph I posted, because it was from a blog. Well, the graph wasn't made by the blog, it was made by the University of Alabama-Huntsville .

Quote:
It is sad that they have contaminated science this way, but it has an upside. Their continued political tactics in response to the science will result in them being outcast and treated as lunatics and liars.

what gets me is that they aren't even very smart about it. They keep foaming at the mouth using the same information, the same tactics, and the same dismissals all the while more and more of the observed data and additional finds in the research are showing them to be incorrect.

Add in the fact that they aren't even sly about their retro adjustments of the records and its like watching Larry, Curly, an Moe thrash about like idiots. Their days are numbered and they know it. Enjoy the show while it lasts as this form of blatant idiocy at such a high and obvious level is rare indeed.
Not a single prominent proponent of global warming is anywhere to be seen. All we see is more sensationalist articles put out by newspapers and half-truths. They are going into hiding, and I love the latest scam they try to pull with "record" warmth in the eastern 2/3 of the US. They conveniently leave out the the country west of the Rocky Mountains is pretty cold, and Alaska has record breaking temps this winter. Yet, the newspapers are saying that the warmth in the east is record breaking, when they haven't even broken the warmest year on record for the past 100 years: 1930. Very warm temps also have occurred many times before 1950. How do you explain that when the population of the West was a lot smaller back then?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the sealevel is at the same level is was in 1840's

the sealevel is nearly the same as it was in 1842
...infact it is BELOW the sealevel mark made in 1842

//www.city-data.com/forum/20906885-post28.html

In 1842 the "Isle of the Dead" in SE Tasmania was selected for the site of a "Mean Sea Level" refernce mark by Capt. James Clark Ross. Today this mark can clearly be seen 35 cm ABOVE the current mean sea level.

you cant deny it
What is funny, is by their own records, the sea level as actually dropped off.

Also note that this has been revised (past data retrofitted) recently. There was a big conflict and discussion when they did it as the method they used actually reduced the level of decline (it was so large that it actually broke their trend, which I guess is why they had to "adjust" it).

Even with the their "adjustments" they still can't hide the fact that sea level has not been rising.

It makes me wonder where these posters are getting their information? I mean, they can;t be looking at the data and coming to their conclusions, they have to be reading summaries to which they just "accept" whatever their authority tells them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies