Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 AM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
these things are cyclical, check the geological record.
They can predict the cycles with accuracy, and they know exactly what caused prior fluctuations in temperature. It seems like a leap of faith to believe there will be another ice age, if you don't know what caused the last one.

What specific physical event makes you think the plane will cool again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Who said that the sky is falling? The earth is warming, that's a fact...Some of the effects will be good, and some, not so good...It is better to be prepared rather than bury your head in the sand, don't you think? Most of it won't effect us all that much, but it will effect our kids and grandkids.
No one is trying to claim they can predict what the future climate will look like, no one that is except the hoaxers. We really do not know if the future climate will be warmer or cooler then today.

The sun is a huge factor in our climate, and it looks like it may be less active in the future. As much as some scientists think they have all the answers, there are too many climate affecting factors and conditions that we just do not know and cannot predict. I don't see how anyone to claim they have a lock on what the future will hold.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 AM

867 posts, read 498,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They can predict the cycles with accuracy, and they know exactly what caused prior fluctuations in temperature. It seems like a leap of faith to believe there will be another ice age, if you don't know what caused the last one.

What specific physical event makes you think the plane will cool again.
The historical record.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
It is real alright, but the correct terminology for it now is global climate change. I'll be voting for Obama again in 2012. With any luck, he'll sign the Kyoto Protocol and cajole the UN to put more sanctions on China regarding their emissions. Without further ado, I hope they pass new fuel standards on cars requiring them to get about 40 MPG. Either that, or they should give the automotive industries tax incentives to make electric cars or vehicles fueled by algae. The first thing they must do is put a limit to all the campaign finance politicians get and outlaw lobbyists who do nothing but obstruct progress.
Fueled by algae? LOL You really buy into whatever politicians say don't you?

You should step back and really take a nonobjective look at this man's record, look back at what he has promised to deliver, and see if the hype matches the reality of what we now know. The billions he has pumped into green energy have been complete failures, even though he hyped them to be a success a few years ago.

Ever notice why there are no examples of Obama's green energy success stories? It's because there aren't any. He does not promote a successful green energy project, he just keeps offering up new ones. So all he does is keep you hoping by offering you more promises of success in the future.

He's like the slick-talking snake oil salesman, from the days of the old West. They duped the local people into buying a jar of bitter tea and honey, thinking they are buying the miracle cure-all elixir. When the sick people don't get any better, he just dazzles them with his slick talk and sells them a different jar of snake oil, and they completely forget about the money they wasted on the first jar.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Come on folks, the response offered by human caused global warming advocates is totally ineffectual judged by everyones' estimation.

In order to do something about global warming, advocates contend we must make costly sacrifice or else we will all die.

they dropped the 'human caused' claim to make their cries more believable but if we caused it, it must then mean that we can mitigate it.

Simply a ploy for environmental extemists joining forces with soico-political elements to form a new world order.

Like Obamacare, HCGW has very little to do with the topic named in the title.

The earth continues to heat and cool without considering human impact. If it gets too hot or too cool we go away if we cannot adapt. Consider that Algore will have enough of our money to adapt quite well to any socio-political or environmental changes. You think he stored some of his sperm to help diversify the genetic pool of the 'survivors'. Talk about 'tin foil' brigade, gore et al has the market cornered.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM

758 posts, read 590,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Fueled by algae? LOL You really buy into whatever politicians say don't you?

You should step back and really take a nonobjective look at this man's record, look back at what he has promised to deliver, and see if the hype matches the reality of what we now know. The billions he has pumped into green energy have been complete failures, even though he hyped them to be a success a few years ago.

Ever notice why there are no examples of Obama's green energy success stories? It's because there aren't any. He does not promote a successful green energy project, he just keeps offering up new ones. So all he does is keep you hoping by offering you more promises of success in the future.

He's like the slick-talking snake oil salesman, from the days of the old West. They duped the local people into buying a jar of bitter tea and honey, thinking they are buying the miracle cure-all elixir. When the sick people don't get any better, he just dazzles them with his slick talk and sells them a different jar of snake oil, and they completely forget about the money they wasted on the first jar.
Actually, I knew this four years ago when I studied it in college. It carbonizes and creates oxygen. That algae isn't pond scum like Rush Limbaugh thinks, either. It's from algal blooms and coral reefs in the ocean. Obama has tried to pour money into green energy to create jobs, but Congress won't let him because they want to keep catering to the oil companies and have us codependent on petroleum until they deplete all the oil on the planet. Algae DOES work. They just don't have any teeth into it because the oil companies want to keep everyone in the status quo.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Actually, I knew this four years ago when I studied it in college. It carbonizes and creates oxygen. That algae isn't pond scum like Rush Limbaugh thinks, either. It's from algal blooms and coral reefs in the ocean. Obama has tried to pour money into green energy to create jobs, but Congress won't let him because they want to keep catering to the oil companies and have us codependent on petroleum until they deplete all the oil on the planet. Algae DOES work. They just don't have any teeth into it because the oil companies want to keep everyone in the status quo.
to get the amounts of oil we use daily from algae, we are going to have to cover a state about the size of arizona with an algae farm, and that isnt going to happen. algae based fuels will help, but it only part of the answer.

as for pouring money into green jobs, all we need do is look at spain to know what kind of effect it will have on our economy. for every green job that spain created, they LOST TWO regular jobs. as such spain has a 19% unemployment rate.

government needs to get out of the job of creating winners and losers. let the private sector take up the funding for green energy projects, and have the government stop wasting good taxpayer money on boondoggles like solyndra and other solar and green energy companies.

i am all for green energy, but it needs to come from the private sector not the government.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM

758 posts, read 590,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
to get the amounts of oil we use daily from algae, we are going to have to cover a state about the size of arizona with an algae farm, and that isnt going to happen. algae based fuels will help, but it only part of the answer.

as for pouring money into green jobs, all we need do is look at spain to know what kind of effect it will have on our economy. for every green job that spain created, they LOST TWO regular jobs. as such spain has a 19% unemployment rate.

government needs to get out of the job of creating winners and losers. let the private sector take up the funding for green energy projects, and have the government stop wasting good taxpayer money on boondoggles like solyndra and other solar and green energy companies.

i am all for green energy, but it needs to come from the private sector not the government.
I never said that algae was the "cure-all" but it could help. Ethanol definitely can't replace oil because it's corrosive, and the food prices would soar through the roof. I care about feeding people as well. France is also heavily invested in green energy, and they're less affected than Spain is. They're making air compressed cars and selling them to Mexico and Japan in fact. I'm all for those as another alternative to petroleum. So far, our greatest stronghold is the Chevy Volt.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I never said that algae was the "cure-all" but it could help. Ethanol definitely can't replace oil because it's corrosive, and the food prices would soar through the roof. I care about feeding people as well. France is also heavily invested in green energy, and they're less affected than Spain is. They're making air compressed cars and selling them to Mexico and Japan in fact. I'm all for those as another alternative to petroleum. So far, our greatest stronghold is the Chevy Volt.
And what do you use to compress the air beside, Coal, oil, gas or nuclear????

Old 04-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
My, my aren't you he gullible one. Obama has been trying to funnel money into "green energy as payola, pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies