Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ummm, I'd have to say that no one owns a cat.
Cats have staff.

Ahh hahahahahaha ah hahahah ROTLF, LMBunsOff. They are so very much worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Fish in aquariums, even dangerous ones, are only OK because they can't leave. With other critters of similar size like scorpions people would mind if their neighbors kept them.

I can't rescue animals because I am not allowed to keep pets in this apartment as is often the case here. If I could I would save a dog or other mammal, probably not a cat, though.
I know there are sickos in Germany keeping snakes, but there are none in nature. I said it because you said it makes sense to be able to tell snakes apart. In a region where there are no snakes that is not the case.

No animal is harmless if people are afraid of it, it can give them a heart attack. There are huge, but harmless spiders, for instance. Still, if someone put such a spider in front of someone scared of spiders, I would consider it attempted murder.

Human society is all about humans, animals only have a place in it if the vast majority rather than just a small percentage accept them.
So now I'm a sicko? Okay, I'm officially dubbing you completely clueless and ignorant on the subject - not to mention one of the most judgmental people I've encountered here. I mean, do you honestly think a person can have a heart attack and die from seeing a snake? Or that a court would prosecute the snake owner for such a thing? LOLOL. It would almost be worth the plane ticket to Europe, just to see the police officers laughing as you accused me of attempted murder for showing you a snake.

Btw, it is nearly impossible for a snake to escape from a professional rack, which is how I keep mine... and I'm an apartment renter too, so nice try but you just clearly aren't into helping animals. That's your prerogative, but don't try to fool me into thinking otherwise, and stop attempting to discuss something about which you have no clue or personal interest. If you've never seen a snake where you live and aren't even in this country, why does this issue matter to you anyway? Oh yeah, and nice attempt at back peddling, but you said earlier there are NO snake keepers in Europe.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-22-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What does it take to catch a python? Can something like a steel wire and big-azz treble hook baited with say a chicken carcass both attract and hold one? Sort of like a trot-line used for turtles, but on a bigger scale. Or will they only go after live prey? Also, is the meat edible (tastes like chicken???) and can you make a pair of boots (ok, several pairs) with the hide?

Sounds like the basis of a new reality show...
You're a few years behind on that idea, as there's already a show called "Python Hunters" on Animal Planet... but unlike the blood-thirsty people here, they trap and RESCUE or simply observe the pythons they find.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-22-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ummm, I'd have to say that no one owns a cat.
Cats have staff.
Touché.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I've been bitten by dogs and cats. The last cat
bite required ten days on strong antibiotics.
I've never been bitten by a snake (mine, a friend's or wild).
Bingo! People just don't get this, unfortunately, and buy into the media about "deadly snakes" - which really only applies to highly venomous species. I actually have been bitten a few times (as is expected for somebody with a collection the size of mine), but it's never left more than a pin-sized mark. My cats, on the other hand, have left permanent scars on me! I get that people have irrational fears, since I'm afraid of spiders, but I just don't like when these personal fears impose upon my hobby/pets.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You're a few years behind on that idea, as there's already a show called "Python Hunters" on Animal Planet... but unlike the blood-thirsty people here, they trap and RESCUE or simply observe the pythons they find.
Bloodthirsty?

So basically, you hate racoons, rabbits, coyotes, small alligators, oppossums and so on and so forth. Calling others bloodthirsty for fighting against a species that is sprawling all over Florida killing thousands of other animals is um.....wierd.

P.S. What's your biggest python? Burms and Retics 15+?

Last edited by Mathguy; 02-22-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Bingo! People just don't get this, unfortunately, and buy into the media about "deadly snakes" - which really only applies to highly venomous species. I actually have been bitten a few times (as is expected for somebody with a collection the size of mine), but it's never left more than a pin-sized mark. My cats, on the other hand, have left permanent scars on me! I get that people have irrational fears, since I'm afraid of spiders, but I just don't like when these personal fears impose upon my hobby/pets.
We aren't talking about *irrational fears* and I'm a huge snake lover....we are talking about a non-native species ravaging FL indigenous populations.

So, what happens if brown tree snakes get into Hawaii? We throw them a party so they can kill off entire species of birds like in Guam.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Quote:

what are you doing to your cats that make them scratch and bite you? I have owned cats all my life and never left permanent scars or any scars for that matter. I got scratched up all over my legs when they were kittens but after that even without front claws they don't bite me like yours do. You need to watch my cat from hell to find out what is wrong with your relationship with your cats. Perhaps they smell the scent of your snakes and are acting out on that scent knowing it's a predator's scent.

A persons dislike or fear of snakes comes before your hobby or anyone elses. It's not irrational for me to not like and fear a snake that gets into my apt. It's understandable that I wouldn't want a dangerous pet in my building. I consider, as I said before, large snakes and venimous snakes to be too dangerous. IMO, If a person wants a snake as a pet then they should own their own single family home. A little fluffy cat or little doggie is nothing like a snake that can get anywhere and into the pipes. I don't think I am irrational for not wanting to risk being subjected to that. I don't like the idea of shooting and killing the snakes but I do think bringing in a predator to the snake might help. Hey deer hunting is sometimes necessary and I don't like that either. I guess I just put reptiles in different catagory than I do domesticated animals.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
what are you doing to your cats that make them scratch and bite you? I have owned cats all my life and never left permanent scars or any scars for that matter. I got scratched up all over my legs when they were kittens but after that even without front claws they don't bite me like yours do. You need to watch my cat from hell to find out what is wrong with your relationship with your cats. Perhaps they smell the scent of your snakes and are acting out on that scent knowing it's a predator's scent.
I didn't say it happened all the time, LOL - and I never said they bite me, either, as that was in reference to my snake collection. But one cat in particular (my 11yo Persian) is a major jerk who also can't stand being combed, so that's where I do get into trouble sometimes. You try owning a PERSIAN cat who attacks any brush that comes near him, and then tell me it's weird to have a scar or two! I also have a young formerly-feral cat, who still acts like a kitten and never learned to play gently, since she lost her momma too young. Plus I don't believe in declawing, so that's part of dealing with cats who still have their claws.

Oh yeah, and I've only had snakes for about 3 years, whereas I've owned cats since childhood... so it has nothing to do with snake smells, and my relationship with them is wonderful. Not to mention, they outweigh all of my snakes by a LOT, and would actually be their predators as opposed to the opposite. Thanks for your concern, though.

Quote:
A persons dislike or fear of snakes comes before your hobby or anyone elses.
Ummm, how so?? What does your fear have to do with my pets and hobbies? I'm scared of heights, so does that mean nobody in the world should go rock climbing? Sorry, but I'm just not getting this concept... especially when we're talking about a hobby/pet I keep IN MY HOME, and nobody is subjected to them without fair warning & an invitation inside. Until you start paying my rent, it's really none of your business what (legal) activities I choose to do at home.

Quote:
It's not irrational for me to not like and fear a snake that gets into my apt.
Of course not, and I never said THAT was irrational... I said the overall snake phobia is an irrational one, especially when you're talking about small constrictors (which is what most people keep as pets). Most fears are irrational when you think about it, since there is no logical basis for many of them - like my fears of heights and spiders, although I guess the former could have some validity in certain situations. I didn't mean that as a negative thing, I'm just able to look at these fears as they truly are. You have the right to fear snakes, and I have the right to say it's your problem alone. I'll never let my snake into your apartment, so why is this even worth discussing?

Quote:
It's understandable that I wouldn't want a dangerous pet in my building.
If they are actually dangerous, yes... but none of mine are, and you'd still probably want me out of your building. That's where my comment about irrational comes into play, and how this isn't legally a valid excuse for kicking somebody out of a building. My landlords for the last few years (since I've owned snakes) know of my pets, and said "it's fine as long as they are securely housed, legal, and non-venomous." Check, check, and check!

Quote:
I consider, as I said before, large snakes and venimous snakes to be too dangerous.
See, now that is more logical! Most large snakes aren't really dangerous, but you are at least being rational here... and I actually did appreciate your comments earlier, as it seems you're willing to learn and listen.

Quote:
IMO, If a person wants a snake as a pet then they should own their own single family home.
Your opinion, but thankfully there are very few landlords who agree... snakes are considered "caged animals" (as they should be) just like a hamster or bird, and most rental units have no restrictions on those. I mean, we're talking about an animal they sell at PetSmart, for goodness sakes! Would they sell something deadly?

Some apartments will have dog breed restrictions, which I have mixed feelings about for the most part. Not really fair to punish all Pit Bull/Rottie/etc owners, just because of a few bad apples, but I get the whole insurance issue and so forth. Snakes, on the other hand, pose no threat to the neighbors unless we're talking venomous and un-caged... which only an incredibly stupid person would even consider doing.

Quote:
A little fluffy cat or little doggie is nothing like a snake that can get anywhere and into the pipes.
No, those "little fluffy cats" and "little doggies" (what about big dogs?) are actually more invasive and threatening to the neighborhood... dogs and cats escape or are purposefully let loose all the time, often terrorizing people and pooping/peeing all over the place. They can also threaten local species, in fact San Franciscans are currently up in arms over dogs & cats killing some endangered birds up there. When do you ever hear of snakes running rampant in pipes? That's a pretty rare occasion, so I stand by my assertion that your fears are illogically paranoid. That's okay, but at least admit it's your issue! I admit my fears are my problem alone, and don't let them impede upon another person's choices - so why can't you do the same?

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-22-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We aren't talking about *irrational fears* and I'm a huge snake lover....we are talking about a non-native species ravaging FL indigenous populations.

So, what happens if brown tree snakes get into Hawaii? We throw them a party so they can kill off entire species of birds like in Guam.
See my above comments, regarding irrational vs rational fears... and I actually wasn't referring to the Everglades situation, I was only using that term in reference to a general snake phobia. When somebody is terrified of a corn snake, I think that qualifies as being somewhat irrational - fine and understandable, but as a snake lover yourself I hope you understand what I'm saying.

P.S. I had a friend once who was extremely snake phobic, but agreed to let me help her get over the fear. One evening was all it took, and by the end I had photos of her "cuddling" and kissing one of my corns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies