Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,831 times

Advertisements

Are any forum readers here familiar with the issue of invasive Pythons in the Everglades? Apparently it has been going on for decades. For anyone not familiar, here is a recent news story: 'Dumped' Pythons Put Squeeze on Everglades Wildlife | Invasive Species, Burmese Pythons & Everglades National Park | LiveScience

I feel so ashamed for not having been aware of the problem earlier, although since I learned of the situation (I live in PA and actually rarely think about the Everglades) a few weeks ago have written to several government contacts responsible for such oversight asking why they were not taking action years ago, and what they are doing now. This is shameful, and a national disgrace.

Anyone have a close connection to the Everglades, or involved with working on this problem to give any insight into what the future prospects look like? Many animals have already been killed by a non-native, and that is tragic, but is there hope that pythons can be reduced significantly enough to allow native populations to bounce back, or be repopulated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
This is shameful, and a national disgrace.
Sorry. I'm not clear on what you think is shameful and a national disgrace?

The government not acting on it years ago?

Personally, I think what is shameful and a national disgrace are the clueless ying-yangs who were personally irresponsible and dumped their snakes into an eco system that was never meant to support them.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
It's a sign of how far we've fallen, that for some reason people keep turning to government for these solutions.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:36 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Yes this was brought up by the MSN a few years ago. I echo the thoughts of another poster, why is this a government problem, a national disgrace and what's to be ashamed over?

This problem could easily be taken care of, have the fashion industry make Python and Anaconda skins "the" thing to wear on people's feet, to have one's luggage made out of, handbags and such. Problem will disappear in a year.

People like the OP could fund contests, the person who kills the most snakes gets a new vehicle of their choice.

Animal rights groups could mount foray's into the Everglades to catch and deport these snakes back to their home environments where they have natural enemies.

One way or another sooner or later species will make they way into new habitats and either the local species adapt to the new threat of they die.

Simple elegant natural evolution...

Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
The GOP voted against a law to ban pythons because it would hurt small businesses.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry. I'm not clear on what you think is shameful and a national disgrace?

The government not acting on it years ago?

Personally, I think what is shameful and a national disgrace are the clueless ying-yangs who were personally irresponsible and dumped their snakes into an eco system that was never meant to support them.
This is pretty damn shameful...

Quote:
House Republicans Say Interior Secretary's Proposed Snake Ban Bad for Business

Republicans on the House Natural Resources Committee seem never to be at a loss for words when it comes to Democratic initiatives. This week the GOP members are shaking their heads over Interior Secretary Ken Salazar's efforts to get a grip on invasive snakes invading national parks in Florida.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...jpg?1269476365''
What could the reason be for these representatives of the right to react this way? Do the rely on oil from these snakes to sell to their base or do they have empathy for reptiles because they are closely related? Either way, when has a Republican after Teddy Roosevelt ever shown any respect for the environment????

Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,122 times
I don't see this as a major issue. We are human beings. We are capable of wiping out any species that we choose. If people in Asia can accidentally wipe a species from the face of the earth then I know Americans will not have any trouble eliminating an invasive species. If my state government tells me that we have a problem with an invasive species and they need my help to take care of the problem then I'm ready to help.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Pythons are tasty critters.
They wouldn't overpopulate Louisiana.
Besides, we could use some help with the Nutrias.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM

576 posts, read 586,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The GOP voted against a law to ban pythons because it would hurt small businesses.

Where? When? How many Dems vs Reps?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I don't see this as a major issue. We are human beings. We are capable of wiping out any species that we choose.
Really? I suggest we wipe out cockroaches then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies