Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In the quote which you provided he said it can be achieved with work. Let's be honest here.
Don't know what you mean - I acknowledged that.

Then I thought about it and you can also get most of it through government loans and subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Don't know what you mean - I acknowledged that.
No, Obama said you can achieve it through work, and you are trying to make sound like he he said it can be achieved with public funding from other people (the bolded is your words). You misrepresent what was said.

Whenever people run with Limbaughs inventions, they always end up looking dishonest. It is better to come up with your own arguments.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:02 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are different things to say to different crowds and at different times, and at this particular speech he was talking about the traditional American dream, which is that with hard work, anyone from any class of society can earn enough to raise a family and own a home. That has always been the definition of the "American dream".

You have chosen to come here and repeat Rush Limbaugh's spin and represent it as something negative. There is nothing else going on, so people have to invent something negative, so they can misrepresent someone message You want to dream that you will be a billionaire, and that's fine, but that has never been what the "American Dream" has been about. See, you may not understand it, but not everyone can be a billionaire, or even a millionaire, because such society would seize to exist.

The "American Dream" has always been something that everyone with hard work can achieve, and it is based on the Declaration of Independence, which says that all men were created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights including "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness".
I agree with the basics of his point. So what? About three weeks ago I agreed with something written on the Common Dreams website.

I understand that everyone will not be a millionaire just because they dream it.

I also understand that no one will become a millionaire if they don't dream it.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
So, there might be someone out there who has a brilliant idea that would make her wealthy and possibly even help other people, but she won't pursue that idea because she listened to what Obama said in that quote?

LOL

Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
I'm still amazed this guy got elected. With all the information available about his past on the internet how could anyone believe anything he said?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Quote:
Just tell me this - Is what you dream for you & your family in line with Obama's view of the American dream as he described? A home, raising a family, not worried about bankruptcy from health care, sending your kids to college, and money for retirement?

My dreams have no bearing on what Obama, thinks or for the most part does. I can have any of the dreams I wish. a speech in Iowa has NO effect on them.

Why do you think you are limited to attain whatever you are capable of? Do you think a speech controls what you do?

Internal locus of control vs external locus of control.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Obama promotes modest American dream

"If you're willing to put in the work, the idea is that you should be able to raise a family and own a home; not go bankrupt because you got sick, because you've got some health insurance that helps you deal with those difficult times; that you can send your kids to college; that you can put some money away for retirement," Obama said recently in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

"That's all most people want," he said. "Folks don't have unrealistic ambitions. They do believe that if they work hard they should be able to achieve that small measure of an American Dream."

This is a dream? Is this a dream for him? Why would he not want people to achieve what he has achieved? What kind of crap is this?

Our economy is downsized. Now he is trying to downsize our spirits and our dreams - along with an addition of a pinch of fear from health care.
I haven't seen this big a fail in reading comprehension since 3rd grade.

You even highlighted the relevant part that answers your question.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
I like the way you put that.

But with the dream President Obama posed - it can almost be achieved with public funding from other people. Is it a dream if someone else pays for the home, the medical care, the college education, the retirement?

Oh ok, i was not really clear about what you were thinking until this post. and yes i understand your feeling this way.

I was raised taught to do for youself, i like go getters, will not lie about it, and lazy people i loathe. I do not think that those getting public funding, and help from the government is considered a dream.
Hate to say this, but todays generation, some dreams are built on government assistance and funding.

One person's dreams is another's necessity.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
I agree with the basics of his point. So what? About three weeks ago I agreed with something written on the Common Dreams website.

I understand that everyone will not be a millionaire just because they dream it.

What's this thing with being a "millionaire?"

Is that all life is about? The pursuit of millionaire status? My God...that's gotta be pretty unfulfilling. Why is that so important to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies