Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Here are some quotes of Hal and his beliefs.. I guess you didn't read it.

While it is true that blacks do hate whites, black hatred is not racism.

"Black Power seeks not understanding but conflict; addresses blacks and not whites; seeks to develop black support, but not white good will." [Black Theology and Black Power, Page 16]

the demonic forces of racism are real for the black man. Theologically, Malcolm X was not far wrong when he called the white man "the devil." The white structure of this American society, personified in every racist, must be at least part of what the New Testament meant by the demonic forces." [Black Theology and Black Power, pp. 39-41]

and many more of these dividing quotes are found in the post of Black Liberation Theology.
Quote:
black power or black liberation theology is satanic and hateful and will never bring the white and black races together Period!
I can read and nowhere in what you posted does Dr. Cone call white people the devil. The key part in Dr. Cone's quoting of Malcolm X is "not far wrong."

I think reconmark did a very good job at putting Dr. Cone's now nearly 50 year old work into context, so I would just refer to his post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/23100379-post156.html

In several posts you talked about how Black Liberation Theology divides people.

I would point out Trinity UCC is composed of people covering the entire spectrum of economic conditions, from the very wealthy, the middle class and the very poor. In fact, Rev. Wright when he arrived insisted that the church welcome into membership the poorest members of the community where the church sits. The church sits in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Chicago.

As I have pointed out previously, the neighborhood that Trinity UCC sits in is overwhelmingly black, yet it does have white members. The Trinity congregation is also a member of the UCC which is overwhelmingly white. Trinity is a very active member of the denomination with many of its members serving in national roles within the denomination. Almost anything they do within denomination, but outside the church, will put them in situations where they are working with and alongside white people.
Almost every service has white people visiting the church from around the area and around the world. Congregations, across denominational lines, routinely send their youth groups to Trinity for visits. Based on the makeup of the youth groups those churches are primarily white. Mansfield, the conservative evangelical white author who attended multiple services for his book on Obama's faith, said it wasn't hard attending services because what is hard about a bunch of people loving all over you.

The overall point is here is a Black Liberation Church and it has brought people together. Wealthy people from the suburbs back into poor urban areas. Blacks and Whites working together on regional and national issues. If this is division, lets have more of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This guy is such a phony and a hypocrite. I wish Willie Geist had reached across the table and just slapped the guy.

Franklin Graham Calls Obama's Religious Beliefs Into Question

What got me is when he said "Obama has given a free pass to Islam". WTF??? What does that mean? Is a President supposed to go after a religion? This is just an example of what happens when you let your brain get fried by religion. Grahams and his beliefs in a 5000 yr old book should not be allowed into a political discussion, end of story.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Romney believes this:

"For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him." (1 Corinthians 8:5-6)

He also believes this:

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (Romans 8:16-17)

and this:

"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." (2 Peter 1:4)

and this:

"And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. (Revelation 2:26-27)

and this:

"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." (Revelation 3:21).
I have heard mormons spin their religion to make it look more Christian, but the truth is that their belief in multiple Gods etc prove that their religion is something else, and not Christian.

Having said that, I think Romney is a fine candidate, and a gentleman at heart. Unfortunatlym policywise he is just like Bush, and Obama, and I don't think the country can afford another one like him. This is why I am pulling for Dr Paul.

When they asked Franklin Graham about Romney's Christianity, he only said "well, he is a Mormon", meaning he is not Christian.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Yes, the poster who I answered to was misleading and said it was 4% black. This is not true.

Go back and read my post; the UCC has a 4% black membership nationally. The church that President Obama attended in Chicago certainly does have white members, and did when he and the First Lady were in attendance. Reading is fundamental.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Go back and read my post; the UCC has a 4% black membership nationally. The church that President Obama attended in Chicago certainly does have white members, and did when he and the First Lady were in attendance. Reading is fundamental.
You know I was only talking about Reverend Wrights Church not the whole UCC of many churches. Reverend Wright believes in Dr. Cones theology and it is dividing and anyone who reads what Black Theology is all about will know this for themselves. Dr.Cones own words are dividing... Dr. Cone says he is not working for the goodwill to whites... his message is to blame EVERY white person for the oppression of black slaves. Plus we know in generations past in Africa the blacks sold slaves to the whites. Do you not know blacks did this to make blacks slaves.. In history there was also many Irish slaves who were not even valued as much as a black slave. The blacks are not the only slaves in history.

The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves – Rasta Livewire

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have heard mormons spin their religion to make it look more Christian, but the truth is that their belief in multiple Gods etc prove that their religion is something else, and not Christian.
We spin our religion? Good grief, Finn. You can do better than that, can't you? Why the hell would we do that? If we didn't believe ourselves to be Christians, why on earth would we call ourselves Christians? Why would we want to be known as Christians if we didn't believe we were? How many Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, or Muslims do you know who go around spinning their religion to make it look Christian? That has got to be the single most idiotic statement I've ever seen coming from you. (No, on second thought, it's the second most idiotic. The most idiotic was this one: "It seems rather clear that the mormon church has stepped in to decide what is 'doctrine' and what is not." )

You are the one, Finn, who spins our beliefs to be non-Christian, and I want everybody on this thread to know that. For those of you who don't know Finn all that well, he posts his anti-Mormon lies over on the Christianity forum all the time. I have spent literally hours, and I'm not exaggerating, explaining what we really believe. Even after I've done that, he ignores everything I've said and returns to his tired old interpretation of what we supposedly believe. Trust me... it bears little resemblance to how I've explained our beliefs. I don't really care one bit whether people embrace Mormonism or not, but I do care when they misrepresent our beliefs. I should not have to continually clarify what Mormons believe -- particularly not on a political forum. Lying for Jesus just doesn't cut it, Finn.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-23-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Some scholars of black theology noted that controversial quotes by Rev. Wright may not necessarily represent black theology.[14] James Cone responded to these alleged controversial comments by noting that he was generally writing about historic white churches and denominations that did nothing to oppose slavery and segregation rather than any white individual.[12]Hoover Institute fellow Stanley Kurtz, in a political commentary in National Review, wrote that

Cone defines it as "complete emancipation of black people from white oppression by whatever means black people deem necessary." For Cone, the deeply racist structure of American society leaves blacks with no alternative but radical transformation or social withdrawal. So-called Christianity, as commonly practiced in the United States, is actually the racist Antichrist. "Theologically," Cone affirms, "Malcolm X was not far wrong when he called the white man 'the devil.'" The false Christianity of the white-devil oppressor must be replaced by an authentic Christianity fully identified with the poor and oppressed.[15]

Just so that sane people and people that want truth and not slanted out of context quotes can understand.

What Taranova has attempted and failed to do (Thank God) is suggest that Prof. Cone is calling white people the Devil, that's a lie!!

Prof. Cone has stated that HISTORICAL white churches and congregations not only stood by and allowed the enslavement of Black people but in many cases actually preached that it was natural and God given, that God preached that captivity was the natural condition of Black People and that they were happy in their God ordained role.

White congregations also distorted and perverted the "curse of Ham" as another excuse to turn a moral and blind eye away from the suffering of fellow humans and Christians.

There were many other perversions and distortions that the white church used in justifying and unjustifiable practice.

"Theologically," Cone affirms, "Malcolm X was not far wrong when he called the white man 'the devil.'"

Key word any Christian should know, is "theologically" which in no way makes the assertion that something or someone is "literal".

So "theologically can one make the claim rationally, logically, and biblically that the actions of the white church was demonic or of the Devil??..of course.

The Devil seeks to destroy the human soul. The Devil seeks to cause man to become an immoral, unloving, base creature. The Devil desires that false teaching become common and accepted and the scriptures be perverted to satisfy man's fallen nature. The Devil desires that families not know their genealogy.

I could go on all night, but the point is made. Slavery and the white church's role in it was "theologically" performing the work of the Enemy.

Unfortunately Taranova is unable to see this for what it is, that usually happens when you put more faith in men than in the WORD.
Nice try. Reverend Wright talks today about the rich whites as if that is sinfull. I have seen many rich blacks so what is the difference?

There are many poor whites in rural areas. I have seen more hardship with no running water etc. than any ghetto in thise rural areas.

This is Reverend Wright preaching his loving come together of the races sermon.

Jeremiah Wright - Hillary Clinton ain't never been called.... - YouTube

Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
You know I was only talking about Reverend Wrights Church not the whole UCC of many churches. Reverend Wright believes in Dr. Cones theology and it is dividing and anyone who reads what Black Theology is all about will know this for themselves. Dr.Cones own words are dividing... Dr. Cone says he is not working for the goodwill to whites... his message is to blame EVERY white person for the oppression of black slaves. Plus we know in generations past in Africa the blacks sold slaves to the whites. Do you not know blacks did this to make blacks slaves.. In history there was also many Irish slaves who were not even valued as much as a black slave. The blacks are not the only slaves in history.

The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves – Rasta Livewire

Good grief! I know what you were talking about...a statement that I made regarding the UCC, nationally, followed by the observation that whites attended the same church in Chicago as the President and First Lady. I don't need a primer on Black Liberation Theology; that was covered in 2007 during the general election, when Reverend Wright came to national attention. And yes...I'm well aware that coastal tribes in Africa would make raids inland to capture people to sell as slaves. The fact that there were Irish slaves is about as germane to this discussion as the fact that France forced prostitutes to live in New Orleans, or that the Irish were sent to Australia or Tasmania for being rebels. Indentured servitude is in the mix as well, but none of this has squat to do with Franklin Graham being wrong in making a judgement call on the faith of Obama or Romney. Now try reading something from the source, as opposed to parroting what anti-Obama sites peddle.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=89236116

Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Good grief! I know what you were talking about...a statement that I made regarding the UCC, nationally, followed by the observation that whites attended the same church in Chicago as the President and First Lady. I don't need a primer on Black Liberation Theology; that was covered in 2007 during the general election, when Reverend Wright came to national attention. And yes...I'm well aware that coastal tribes in Africa would make raids inland to capture people to sell as slaves. The fact that there were Irish slaves is about as germane to this discussion as the fact that France forced prostitutes to live in New Orleans, or that the Irish were sent to Australia or Tasmania for being rebels. Indentured servitude is in the mix as well, but none of this has squat to do with Franklin Graham being wrong in making a judgement call on the faith of Obama or Romney. Now try reading something from the source, as opposed to parroting what anti-Obama sites peddle.

Black Liberation Theology, in its Founder's Words : NPR
I already read that .But I read it again. Nothing new here.

I was born poor. I was never hateful to any black person , yet I have been attacked by gangs of blacks as a youth and wondered why. Now I know because of the hate that Reverend Wright spews .

How is any black person ever going to be equal listening to Reverend Wright? My message is , don't let anyone put you back into the cotton fields or slaves ships. Take on your dignity of a black person as equal , free and a Child of God. Strip away your resentment of the past, heal your spirit with the healing power of forgiveness and walk proudly as the great special person God has made. Be strong and know how God has attained the greatness of the blacks through struggle and the gold tried in the fire is pure , valued and a holy vessel. God loves us all.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What got me is when he said "Obama has given a free pass to Islam". WTF??? What does that mean? Is a President supposed to go after a religion? This is just an example of what happens when you let your brain get fried by religion. Grahams and his beliefs in a 5000 yr old book should not be allowed into a political discussion, end of story.
He realized he misspoke and was man enough to take it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies