Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 AM

994 posts, read 724,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linh3203 View Post
Why are republicans so much against the "Buffet rule"?
can you actually make an argument that provides adequate rationality to go against this?
Why should I? You're the one who wants to impose new regulation. The burden of proof is on you, not me. You make an argument that provides adequate rationality why I shouldn't go against this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I'll defer my answer until I hear why over 40% pay no income tax
because of deductions.

it's the same reason that, when these idiot analysts run tax numbers using adjusted gross income, their analysis is no longer valid: because people reduce their reported income by trillions of dollars every year by using deductions.

why there is this obsession with tax rates, i'm not sure. tax rates are plenty high enough. what we need to do is eliminate the cap on the payroll tax, eliminate the mortgage interest deduction, eliminate the local tax deduction, and start liming capital gains treatment to just productive investment, and not economic rent.

this will never happen because we're a stupid and corrupt country.

Quote:
and why out of control spending continuous (seriously, 600k to study why apes throw their feces?).
government spending isn't out of control -- it is the private sector financial system that is out of control. we have a currency that is based on CREDIT. for that you need increasing levels of debt.

the only way we would ever want to shrink the deficit dramatically is if we completely reformed our monetary system and took away the ability of private sector banks to borrow from the Federal Reserve. If you keep monetary policy as-is, then it is a terrible idea to try and shrink government deficits.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
It will reduce the deficit by at least $40 billion. You opposes to reducing the deficit?

Pulling out of vietghanistan will do a hell of a lot more then that.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linh3203 View Post
Most of those 46% that don't pay income tax is because of the poverty that they face due to low income. With the increasingly high cost of food and energy, there is almost no way for a family of 4 to get by with only 20k a year.

46% of households make around the 20k on avg. (assumption with ~30k is the cut-off on no tax paying family)

actually the 49% that dont pay crosses all lines to include the rich,, but is mostly at the bottom 50%

Quote:
46% of households make around the 20k on avg. (assumption with ~30k is the cut-off on no tax paying family)
not quite the MEDIAN salary NATION WIDE is 49k

Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Instead of 30% it should be 50% at a million and 90% at a thousand million. These people do not earn their money the steal it from the rest of us with monopoly and corruption.
Except for St. Jobs and St. Gates. And St. Buffett. They are anointed and special.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
>Executive Summary | A Roadmap for America's Future | The Budget Committee Republicans<

Like some of those things in that proposal. Two things stuck out at me.

0 cap gains? Are you kidding? The true rich need to pay less taxes? Targeted breaks for those actually creating jobs/wealth would be good but the majority of the true rich are wealth hoarders, not venture capitalists.

This is one of those arguments people try to have both ways. Yes, many job creators are in the 1%. No, not even a majority of the 1% are job creators. This is like arguing all NFL players are Men therefore all men are NFL players.

End the "death tax". Hyperbole in the same vein as calling swams and bogs "wetlands". Nonetheless, I would say this would be a good idea IF: ENFORCED taxation and realization of all unrealized cap gains in a person's lifetime. NO turning yourself into a corporation, no chaining spouses. Give a straight say $2MM deduction and the rest is due at the cap gains rate.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
because of deductions.

why there is this obsession with tax rates, i'm not sure. .......tax rates are plenty high enough ......... what we need to do is eliminate the cap on the payroll tax, ......... eliminate the mortgage interest deduction, .........eliminate the local tax deduction, ................
Quote:
tax rates are plenty high enough
actaully they are too high....no one should be paying more than 15% at ANY level

Quote:
what we need to do is eliminate the cap on the payroll tax,
all that does is make the rich GET MORE in their ss check..the cap is not only on contributions, but also on the PAYOUT

Quote:
eliminate the mortgage interest deduction
why...if a workingclass slob is paying 10k in intrest so he can have a house, why not give hime that credit...it used to be ALL interest was deductable

Quote:
eliminate the local tax deduction
eliminate the local tax deduction...why in the heck are you smoking..you want double and triple taxation???? I earn 60k a year..my property tax is 12k...thats 20% right there

Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Pulling out of vietghanistan will do a hell of a lot more then that.
it wont do nothing

the YEARLY cost is less than 100 billion....our CURRENT YAERLY deficit is over 1 trillion

Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times
It's not the millionaires of the country that have subverted democracy, hijacked our government and plundered and pillaged the middle class. The people we need to be going after are the billionaires and families that control everything from our food supply, to our natural resources to our banks. They are the cancer eating away at our sovereignty and our prosperity. Leave the millionaires alone.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
0 cap gains? Are you kidding? The true rich need to pay less taxes? .
EVERYBODY that has any type of investment pays capital gains,,be it on a seperate sheet or on the 1040

why should we pay 15% or even higher for intest earned, when we are only earning a 1/4 percent

my 10k t-bill earned $8.35 interest for the ENTIRE year...thats less than 1/8percent.....yet they want to tax me 15% of that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies