Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President Obama for the first time Thursday called on Syrian President Bashar Assad to step down, while announcing a new set of sanctions against the regime.

Obama Calls On Assad To Step Down, Imposes New Sanctions | Fox News

Quote:
Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri, in a video recording posted on the Internet on Sunday, urged Syrians not to rely on the West or Arab governments in their uprising to topple President Bashar al-Assad.

In the eight-minute video, entitled "Onwards, Lions of Syria" and posted on an Islamist website, the Egyptian-born Zawahri also urged Muslims in Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon and Jordan to come to the aid of Syrian rebels confronting Assad's forces.

Al Qaeda leader backs Syrian revolt against Assad | Reuters

The United States will not help Syria, and the reason is very simple. Both Barack Obama and Al Qaeda are calling for the removal of Assad. Any aid sent by the United States is almost virtually guaranteed to assist Al Qaeda in its goal to re-assert itself in Syria. Considering that it is an election year in the United States, that's one risk that Barack Obama is not willing to take.

Funny how politics, oil, and terrorism drive who we support and who we don't, isn't it? The Syrian people are on the losing end of this proposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
The right wingers are at it again... they want a redo of Libya.

Libya...
Thru March 15, 2011 or so...
"He won't do it because..."
Since March 16, 2011...
"He did it because..."

Syria...
Currently...
"He won't do it because...

Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The right wingers are at it again... they want a redo of Libya.

Libya...
Thru March 15, 2011 or so...
"He won't do it because..."
Since March 16, 2011...
"He did it because..."

Syria...
Currently...
"He won't do it because...
Can you counter my point? Or do you agree?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I missed one...
TBA...
"He did it because..."

Yes, I can see that, hence we can agree to this being a strong possibility. Here is why (emphasis mine)...

AeroGuyDC on March 7, 2011
Quote:
I agree with this in principle, but not in all practicality. Whether we like it or not, the US is the world's policeman since no other country on this planet is willing or capable to do so. When the leader of a country turns its guns on its own citizens, then there must be a mechanism in place to counter that action. Is it evenly and fairly applied? No, not really. Money or commodities usually drive the decision. We could certainly do better in that respect.
Two weeks later...
AeroGuyDC on March 22, 2011
Quote:
Two things:

1) MANY people thought it highly ironic and inappropriate that Barack Obama be awarded the Peace Prize when it was bestowed upon him. He simply had not earned it, and even he admitted as much in his award speech.

2) The Libya battle was orchestrated and is led by the United States under the auspices of a UN/NATO action. There is no denying this.

No matter who's ringing the bell, how do you reconcile the notion that Barack Obama deserves the award in the first place, and still deserves to keep the award given his war policies?
Real Americans Rule! RAR!!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Can you tell us what you would like Obama to do about Syria?

Do you want him to send in troops?

Because if you're unhappy about what he IS doing, and you've already stated that any assistance he provides will go to Al Qaeda, then what's the alternative? Send in troops? Continue to pressure Saudi Arabia to intercede? Ask the provisional governments in Egypt (that government is already publicly tasking the United States to shore up approval among its citizens) or Libya (a tenuous government in the aftermath of Gaddafi's fall that's more concerned with domestic problems and re-building its infrastructure) to step in?

Please reveal your brilliant solution to this problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I missed one...
TBA...
"He did it because..."

Yes, I can see that, hence we can agree to this being a strong possibility. Here is why (emphasis mine)...

AeroGuyDC on March 7, 2011

Two weeks later...
AeroGuyDC on March 22, 2011

Real Americans Rule! RAR!!
I fail to see your correlation. In fact, the two bolded posts directly support each other. You'll have to do better than that. Otherwise it's a waste of your time.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I fail to see your correlation. In fact, the two bolded posts directly support each other. You'll have to do better than that. Otherwise it's a waste of your time.
I do too... comprehension becomes an issue when dealing with a person who flips flops as much as y'all do. Add to it... shamelessly, and there should be no hope.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
good post. the point that america needs to see is that the uprisings in the the mideast are not democratic uprisings. they are populous uprising, its not the same thing.
they are not waving the american flag. the iranian revolution is what is happening throughout the mideast.
1st thing after the iranian revoluton was brutal repression of moderates.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

Because if you're unhappy about what he IS doing, and you've already stated that any assistance he provides will go to Al Qaeda, then what's the alternative? Send in troops? Continue to pressure Saudi Arabia to intercede? Ask the provisional governments in Egypt (that government is already publicly tasking the United States to shore up approval among its citizens) or Libya (a tenuous government in the aftermath of Gaddafi's fall that's more concerned with domestic problems and re-building its infrastructure) to step in?

The intent of my post is not to suggest to Barack Obama what he should do. If that was the intent, I would have said "I disagree with the Barack Obama. This is what he should do."

The intent of my post is geared toward the numerous threads on the forum that highlight the plight of Syrians by putting forth a rational notion as to why we can expect to see more of the same without our intervention. There's always an underlying notion that the United States should get involved when other people are being slaughtered by their own governments. I'm pointing out why I believe that won't happen in Syria in the current geopolitical climate.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 AM

994 posts, read 725,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

He simply made an observation about what he thought Obama would do. He attached no value judgement to it one way or the other. In fact, he basically said Obama is trapped into not helping even if he wanted to. Your sarcastic demand for a better solution is unwarranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies