Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Looks like your youngest daughter might never be able to buy a home.
Actually, we just did a little house-hunting for her last weekend.

She is paying off her loans, but also putting money into her savings.

Admittedly, her first house won't be anything special, but it makes more sense for her to buy a house rather than rent. Rents are double what a mortgage payment would be around here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Read the link. There are literally hundreds of stories similar to this. This is not a few bad apples...this appears to be a trend in America.

I'm a little surprised that you are able to disregard this as just a few people making foolish choices. I see it differently.
I haven't read beyond this post and jumping to the end.

The way I see it is:

If government can spend $10 million dollars on a Sesame Street spinoff for Pakistan children, why can't America help with the education of people who deserve that help.

If government can give it's blessings to American university representatives go to the Middle East to encourage people to attend American universities with an enticement of up to $40,000 to do so, why can't it reward Americans for going to college?

If government is so willing to provide financial assistance to illegal immigrants without repayment, why can't it provide financial assistance to college students without repayment?

If government can hand out grants for nonsense studies - the life span of a cockroach - why not hand out grants to students who are the future.

If government can bail out companies and banks, why not help those who earned a degree and are working.

I'm not saying help bailout everyone, but those that are employed, or who are taking a field of study, that does or will meet the needs of the future - not basketweaving, or art, etc., but science, technology, medical, teachers, etc.

Parents and those attending college know that the best investment they can make is in their child or themself. Wouldn't government helping those worthy be an investment in America?? Why is America so quick to invest in countries where there is no return?

We aren't going to have the educated population that America will need in the future.

It seems to me that American is on a path of self-destruction. America is already losing it's foothold on it's international power. America has sold itself out by allowing companies to outsource jobs that belonged to Americans. China and India are no longer third world countries and have developed and are bypassing America. America is being eclipsed by China and I'm sure Russia isn't far behind. America will be nothing more than a modern third world country unable to compete, partly due to the fact that it will have an uneducated society.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:25 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I am in Miami, FL and there are two fairly large universities here- University of Miami which is private and Florida International University which is public.

Basic 120 credit undergraduate degree program at FIU is $177/cr+ fees or $21,240+ for four years if one lives locally.

Basic 120 credit undergraduate degree program at UM is $1600/cr + fees or $192,000+.

I can understand the former but the latter?

Incidently,when I attended in the late '80s FIU was $65/cr and UM $325/cr.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I am in Miami, FL and there are two fairly large universities here- University of Miami which is private and Florida International University which is public.

Basic 120 credit undergraduate degree program at FIU is $177/cr+ fees or $21,240+ for four years if one lives locally.

Basic 120 credit undergraduate degree program at UM is $1600/cr + fees or $192,000+.

I can understand the former but the latter?

Incidently,when I attended in the late '80s FIU was $65/cr and UM $325/cr.
UM is however quite generous with academic scholarship money... Obligatory Go Canes! Although I swear every time I wrote a tuition check I swear they planted a new palm tree. If in fact a student was paying full-price, UM is out of the question, the sensible thing would be FIU. However; for folks like us, believe it or not... UM was cheaper than going to sons flagship state U...

Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I haven't read beyond this post and jumping to the end.

The way I see it is:

If government can spend $10 million dollars on a Sesame Street spinoff for Pakistan children, why can't America help with the education of people who deserve that help.

If government can give it's blessings to American university representatives go to the Middle East to encourage people to attend American universities with an enticement of up to $40,000 to do so, why can't it reward Americans for going to college?

If government is so willing to provide financial assistance to illegal immigrants without repayment, why can't it provide financial assistance to college students without repayment?

If government can hand out grants for nonsense studies - the life span of a cockroach - why not hand out grants to students who are the future.

If government can bail out companies and banks, why not help those who earned a degree and are working.

I'm not saying help bailout everyone, but those that are employed, or who are taking a field of study, that does or will meet the needs of the future - not basketweaving, or art, etc., but science, technology, medical, teachers, etc.

Parents and those attending college know that the best investment they can make is in their child or themself. Wouldn't government helping those worthy be an investment in America?? Why is America so quick to invest in countries where there is no return?

We aren't going to have the educated population that America will need in the future.

It seems to me that American is on a path of self-destruction. America is already losing it's foothold on it's international power. America has sold itself out by allowing companies to outsource jobs that belonged to Americans. China and India are no longer third world countries and have developed and are bypassing America. America is being eclipsed by China and I'm sure Russia isn't far behind. America will be nothing more than a modern third world country unable to compete, partly due to the fact that it will have an uneducated society.
First, let me say that I understand what you're getting at here. The US Government does indeed spend money foolishly when it could and should be spent on it's own citizens. In theory, I agree.

But, on the other hand, the argument could be made that he USG is indeed helping its students by making student loan money available (and quite easy to get). Without the financial assistance, college would not be possible for millions of people. That is the extent that the federal government should be involved. It is up to the student to exercise diligence in choosing an affordable school...choosing a major whose benefits exceed its costs......and taking advantage of career-building opportunities while in college. These days, with the amount of risk attached to taking out student loans as there is, college should no longer be considered "the best time of your life"......it should be considered "the one chance you have to get your future together." If you flub it, the problem is yours, not the rest of society.

I believe it's incumbent on the individual to hold up his/her share of the deal. Government provides the loan......the student uses it wisely. This shouldn't be a foreign concept, yet for some reason it is for so many people (not you personally). I don't get it.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Here's a thought: every kid who applies for a student loan has to take a series of tests to ensure s/he has the cognitive ability to complete the intended major or field of study.

The test would be administered by a private testing service not affiliated with the schools who have a financial incentive to fill the classrooms.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Here's a thought: every kid who applies for a student loan has to take a series of tests to ensure s/he has the cognitive ability to complete the intended major or field of study.

The test would be administered by a private testing service not affiliated with the schools who have a financial incentive to fill the classrooms.
I believe that is what the SAT's are for...

Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Who bares the cost of student loan forgiveness?
banks , taxpayers, and future borrowers.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post

I would certainly support this idea. It would be similar to means testing for government provided social benefits, and that's something I've always agreed with.

I noticed in a few of the stories the OP link that quite a few students/grads had embarked on medical school and found out far into the process that they were not able to make the cut. This, of course, after they had racked up tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans. My reaction when I read those stories is "Wow...yeah, you're screwed." Flunking out of medical school is not exactly the way to success, especially after so much time and effort has been put forth in a single profession.

I feel for these folks. I really do. Maybe your idea could help in this regard, except in a much earlier phase of the college path?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I would certainly support this idea. It would be similar to means testing for government provided social benefits, and that's something I've always agreed with.

I noticed in a few of the stories the OP link that quite a few students/grads had embarked on medical school and found out far into the process that they were not able to make the cut. This, of course, after they had racked up tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans. My reaction when I read those stories is "Wow...yeah, you're screwed." Flunking out of medical school is not exactly the way to success, especially after so much time and effort has been put forth in a single profession.

I feel for these folks. I really do. Maybe your idea could help in this regard, except in a much earlier phase of the college path?
his idea is useless. you already test people for aptitude.

i don't know what the solution is to this student loan problem, but throwing these kids to the wolves and making them pay back exorbitant loans is going to come back and bite the taxpayer in the ass, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies