Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,859,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
DING! DING! DING! DING! we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY you said the magic words I've been waiting for...

"Helping elderly stay in their homes..."

So...is it not appropriate to help elderly renters stay in their homes by extending the same property tax deferral on their homes?
No, my comment was addressed to elderly homeowners only. Renters do not own their homes and do not pay property taxes per se. While a portion of the cost may be figured into the monthly rent by the property owner it is not at all the same. Those who attempt to propose that home ownership and rental agreements are equal conveyances of property rights are being intellectually dishonest. Apples and road apples comparision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:53 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,837,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Pathetic ain't it? How mentally unstable do you have to be to go out of your way to constantly attack people for doing exactly what you're here to do?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,273,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The only irony I see is in you post. Only a complete utter moron would not see the irony, I mean a really dumb sack of shyt

Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,404,380 times
My retirement plans includes where and how I will live. I intentionally purchased property and a home bigger than I needed with the idea that no matter what its sale value is when I sell it, I will be able to buy outright a much smaller home where there are no property taxes. My only household expenses then will be for utilities (electricity, phone, internet, and natural gas). I will provide for my own water, sewer, and trash services.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,930,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
That is some rebuke and admit that is the worst verbal A$$ beating I have took on CD but one that I can appreciate. For my lame response I ask what can a nobody like me {slave} do to change this gross infringement? How successful do you think I would be asking my neighbors to abolish the property tax? The first thing they would say " how about the children and their education? "where are we going to get the money to pay for that'?

Or how about a one man protest? I refuse to pay my property tax and the lender would eventually take action. Or the state would take action and garnish my wages. One way or the other? I lose my house or the state collects their money. That out come sounds like a losing battle that no matter how hard I tried I could not change the outcome.

You are right. Nothing we can do as individuals. The system is too corrupt and people are too comfortable living with the corruptions and violations of liberty to change it within the system itself.

You know how they talk about the exemplary nature of humans in extreme circumstances? How they can achieve amazing feats in the face of extreme hardship and duress? Be it the story of heroism against extreme odds, the nature of a mother in her protection of an endangered child, the valor of a solider in a dire situation, all of these exemplify the amazing nature of humans.

The problem is that there is a theme. Extreme situations. We are going to have to end up in a situation of dire circumstances, where a good number of the people are in extreme hardship to which is clearly and specifically identified as the cause of the controlling powers. Not the silly class wars, race wars, etc... they are spun in the media and by politicians to keep people distracted, but a CLEAR violation to which none can deny of the people and it has to reach a point where those in power can not deny it.

That is, we will have to reach what we fear most before people will stand up in unison and take action. That is when the common person takes action and becomes the great men and women of history. They weren't special people of extraordinary ability, they were simply normal people who lived under extreme circumstances to which required extraordinary sacrifice and actions to remedy. That is, the sacrifice was worth what they could obtain if they succeeded.

We are not there, nowhere near there and we can not change our situation until the majority of people learn why those before us sacrificed what they did to achieve what we had before us. We have to suffer, we have to reach that edge. People are too comfortable, too lethargic, and take for granted what they are giving away.

I doubt it will be us who end up being those people under extreme circumstances. We will simply be known as those who were asleep at the wheel while our children and children's children end up dealing with such a situation.

Maybe I am wrong. I am extremely cynical, this I do not deny. I hope I am wrong, I hope people catch on to the loss of liberties and find some way to repair it, but I am not encouraged by the current progress of their behavior and thoughts.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,213,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeBlade View Post
As opposed to the Blame Bush troll tactics employed by Obama and (tax-evading) Associates????
Bush who???

Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Property taxes are also not universal. There are places where you can buy property and not be taxed. If you are a "slave" or a "victim" it is because you chose to be one. I prefer to make a different choice.
I agree, there are still such places (there is a county here in Texas that has no such property taxes), so it is still possible, but it is getting harder and harder for such.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Dude, you are way beyond conservative. I am one you would classify as an "idiot" since I claim to own property and I pay property taxes.

A variety of governmental entities, ALL ELECTED, levy taxes against property. The budget hearings are open forums where any citizen may comment or propose changes. In exchange for my property taxes, the streets to my property are maintained, fire and emergency services are afforded, a judicial system that preserves my property rights is in place, and a variety of other services are rendered. Property taxes pay for the trappings of a civil society in which one does not need force to assert and protect the right to enjoy one's property.

If I am an idiot, you are a crank. Stop besmirching the word "conservative" by associating it with your positions.

I said anyone is an idiot who thinks they own their property and pays taxes on it. You do not own your property, your local government does. You are not free to choose to be without those services, they are forced on you and you pay taxes on your property regardless of your objection.

If you stop paying on your property, they will eventually take it away from you. One who owns something is not obligated to pay anything for it once they own it. That is the definition of ownership.

You may approve of the services, but that in no way makes you a property owner. You are a resident on government property to which you rent by means of taxes. It is no different than that of being a resident on the local lords land to which you work and live, though if you refuse to pay his taxes for the land and his protection, he kicks you off it.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,095,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
The elderly (and vets) get a tax break in just about every taxing entity in the country. It's usually tiered to age, disability, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

What is wrong is the idea of collecting the taxes down the line at the sale via them (or their heirs).

Even worse is the increased tax burden the loss would put on the public and the loss in revenue to the community.

Here's another question. My old house lost it's equity when the RE bubble burst and cannot be sold at any price due to the dead market - even though it's paid off. The taxes increased through the years but have NOT retreated to the levels before it was revalued by the county. I still have to pay the high taxes on a house that has tax value nearly four times it's current selling value. I'm not a flipper or speculator, just an average homeowner.

So, where's MY break?

You rarely see taxing authorities lowering taxable values. But if it does happen, the rate is adjusted to keep the dollars paid in at about the same range.
Your property taxes are supposed to be based on the current value of your
home. When a government employee at the tax assessors office decides a properties value they are often wrong. If you feel your taxes are too high there is a way to fight it. Iv' done it three times and won all three times. I will admit I do have an advantage being in the real estate business and knowing what my house is worth. I would be willing to bet that the majority of people right now are paying too much in property taxes and don't know there is something they can try and do about it. I would suggest first that you contact a real estate agent and ask for a CMA of your house, these are ususally free and you'll have a better understanding of what your house is really worth. Other than that I don't know how to advise someone on forum how to go about it. I'm sure the process is different from one state to another.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,394,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I said anyone is an idiot who thinks they own their property and pays taxes on it. You do not own your property, your local government does. You are not free to choose to be without those services, they are forced on you and you pay taxes on your property regardless of your objection.

If you stop paying on your property, they will eventually take it away from you. One who owns something is not obligated to pay anything for it once they own it. That is the definition of ownership.

You may approve of the services, but that in no way makes you a property owner. You are a resident on government property to which you rent by means of taxes. It is no different than that of being a resident on the local lords land to which you work and live, though if you refuse to pay his taxes for the land and his protection, he kicks you off it.
If you see no difference between feudal society and American democracy, your understanding is flawed. The city council and the county board consist of representatives that I elected, and they arrange the services that we the people desire. Nobody elected the lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies