Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hammertime, you will be pleased to know that I couldn't possibly agree more with your perspective. I was very much opposed to my Church's stance on Prop 8.
Kudos to you!

I know this is off topic, but am curious, were a large number of Mormon's opposed to Prop 8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
It's not really a secret that they do baptism for the dead, and yes, I find it offensive
And incredibly arrogant.

I really think this crosses the line, and usually I am of the opinion that people are entitled to believe whatever fairy tale they choose to believe as long as it doesn't interfere with my right to choose not to believe at all.

I saw an interview with a holocaust survivor a few days ago - his entire family had died in the camps and he found out they had been baptized by the Mormons.

If I were related to any of these people who were being posthumously baptized. I would be freakin' outraged.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
As Bill Maher stated; if Mormons can make up rules and do them, so can we. Let's just start unbaptizing people...starting with Mormons.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I am not sure why people are worried about this because to non-believers is means nothing changed. Poeple just like to gripe sometimes.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
One question:

Is there an opt-out form? Something I can fill out and put on file with the LDS church that says "Not interested. For all eternity. Do not bother me, the undersigned"?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
And you know what? Everybody but the Mormons would object. I'm truly amazed at how many people actually seem to think that God would consider Anne Frank to be a Mormon if Anne Frank didn't want to be one. If some Catholic wants to perform a Catholic ritual on my behalf after I die, I'm not the slightest bit concerned about the effect it will have on my eternal destiny. It sounds as if most people aren't quite so comfortable with their relationship to God.
I'm actually pretty "pro-mormon" in general but tolerance is NOT a strong suit of many when you get deep in the heart of mormon territory.

It's sad that you don't see that, as people by their very nature are imperfect.

FWIW it's not that the Catholic fears that some Mormon baptism is somehow going to drag them out of heaven....it's just perceived as rude to surviving catholics.

I know, I know you think no harm is done and it's not offensive or rude....which is why gays should definitely start having sex on LDS graves...I mean who could possibly find that offensive, it's not going to change thier spiritual destination so no one should care.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I had no idea the Mormon Church did this type of thing. How truly offensive to disrespect the beliefs of individuals who are deceased and cannot object to this.
To our Planet, Welcome! I'll give you the three-penny tour since this is your first hour on Earth. Yes, the Mormon Church believes it's mission is ensure that every person who ever lived is properly baptized....sort of a raffle ticket to ever-lasting life (provided you also obeyed the Commandments, complied with all 613 Laws of the mitzvah, were more righteous than a pharisee, became like the wind, sold everything you owned and gave the money to the poor, continued to obey the Commandments, became like a child, ate the flesh of Jesus, drank the blood of Jesus, gave away everything you owned to the poor and became born-again).

The Mormons have been doing this since they existed, and as a result, have established a very fine genealogical database.

I'm an atheist, and I don't care. Mormons can do whatever they want to do, provided it costs me nothing and doesn't impact or interfere in my life. If they want to baptize me, well, it's their holly water and their dime.

Anne Frank is dead. I don't think she really gives a damn. I ate lunch on her grave and she didn't give a hoot. Seriously. I was in Bergen Belsen every other month for training. I spent more time wandering through the old camp than most people spend visiting their dead "loved ones."

If Anne has a problem with it, or if Yahweh or Jesus does, or I guess it's actually Yahweh and Jesus since Jesus fathered himself and Yahweh except when Jesus is Casper the Friendly Ghost unless it's Yahweh's turn to be Casper the Friendly Ghost, or how would the media call them? Yahwus or Jeseh? Sort of like Brangelina only different. I forgot what I was saying. Oh, yeah, if they have a problem, then we'll know because sometime in the next 30 days the entire Mormon Tabernacle Choir will die in a plane crash, or something like that.

If not, then you can assume that there is no god or they don't give a rat's ass.

Disrespecting....

Mircea

Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you see baptism as in any way similar to urinating on someone. Knowing you, I'm really not surprised, though.
I figured you wouldn't get it

The point I was trying to get across was that as horrific as urinating on someone's corpse is, that's how non-Mormons see the practice of proxy baptism. It's just as much a desecration of the dead in their eyes, hence the outrage whenever the subject comes up. Obviously you being Mormon feel differently; but thanks for the nasty reply anyway. It reflects well upon both yourself and your faith.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One question:

Is there an opt-out form? Something I can fill out and put on file with the LDS church that says "Not interested. For all eternity. Do not bother me, the undersigned"?
Sure, but as the families of holocaust victims found out numerous times they don't exactly honor it.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:40 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Everyone just relax. The whole point is moot. Ann Frank has reincarnated.

The Reincarnation Case of Anne Frank | Barbro Karlen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies