Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times

Advertisements

I had no idea the Mormon Church did this type of thing. How truly offensive to disrespect the beliefs of individuals who are deceased and cannot object to this.

Quote:
A new claim has surfaced that the Mormon church has posthumously baptized a Holocaust victim, this time Anne Frank. The allegations come just a week after The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints apologized when it was brought to light that the parents of Holocaust survivor and Jewish rights advocate Simon Wiesenthal were posthumously baptized by church members at temples in Arizona and Utah in late January.

"I am a Holocaust survivor. It is so offensive in the sense that Holocaust victims were killed solely because they were Jews. And here comes the Mormon church taking away their Jewishness," said Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League. "It's like killing them twice." Mormons believe the baptism ritual allows deceased people a way to the afterlife but it offends members of many other religions.
Jews are particularly offended by an attempt to alter the religion of Holocaust victims, and the baptism of Holocaust survivors was supposed to have been barred by a 1995 agreement.
The Associated Press: Claim surfaces of Anne Frank baptism by Mormons

Mormon Baptism Targets Anne Frank -- Again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times

Bill Maher's Atheist Unbaptism Ritual - YouTube

Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Odd but here is a hint: She was still Jewish. I can baptize her symbolicly 9999999 times a day and she was still Jewish.

It just one of those odd things Mormons do. Im pretty sure they have done the same thing to me given I am related to a number of them. shrug. Whatever.

I like them because when their missionaries come to the house it only takes me 5 seconds to explain I am already a Christian and am happy at the church I attend. They then politely thank me for my 5 seconds and go away. The Jehovas argue.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
It's not really a secret that they do baptism for the dead, and yes, I find it offensive

Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 AM

840 posts, read 781,221 times
lol...stupid but funny.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I had no idea the Mormon Church did this type of thing. How truly offensive to disrespect the beliefs of individuals who are deceased and cannot object to this.

The Associated Press: Claim surfaces of Anne Frank baptism by Mormons

Mormon Baptism Targets Anne Frank -- Again
To avoid turning this thread into a discussion of Mormon doctrine, I'm just going to post a link to information on the subject which may be of interest to you.

With respect to Anne Frank's and other recent baptisms, the LDS Church has, in fact, suspended access to the Church's genealogical records for the individual Church member who broke the rules. The following is taken from an article from the Salt Lake Tribune:

The LDS Church then issued its strongest response yet to the violation of its agreement not to do proxy baptisms for Holocaust victims who are not related to a church member.

“It takes a good deal of deception and manipulation to get an improper submission through the safeguards we have put in place,” Purdy said in an email, language that suggests these baptisms could be the work of mischief makers. “While no system is foolproof in preventing the handful of individuals who are determined to falsify submissions, we are committed to taking action against individual abusers. ... We will also consider whether other church disciplinary action should be taken. It is distressing when an individual willfully violates the church’s policy and something that should be understood to be an offering based on love and respect becomes a source of contention.”

The LDS Church “keeps its word,” Purdy said, “and is absolutely firm in its commitment to not accept the names of Holocaust victims for proxy baptism.”
Mormons believe it is their spiritual duty to do these temple rituals and that those on the other side can choose whether to accept the action.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-24-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
With respect to Anne Frank's and other recent baptisms, the LDS Church has, in fact, suspended access to the Church's genealogical records for the individual Church member who broke the rules. The following is taken from an article from the Salt Lake Tribune:

The LDS Church then issued its strongest response yet to the violation of its agreement not to do proxy baptisms for Holocaust victims who are not related to a church member.

Thank you for the link. And that is great that the LDS Church has come out strongly against this, but your statement below contradicts this. So which is it?

Quote:
Mormons believe it is their spiritual duty to do these temple rituals and that those on the other side can choose whether to accept the action.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Thanks for posting the Bill Maher video. I saw that on Real Time a couple weeks ago. It was hilarious funny.

Elie Wiesel has called upon Romney to use his influence with LDS to cease posthumous baptisms. Wiesel found out through the LDS database that they had baptized his dead parents.

Elie Wiesel calls on Mitt Romney to make Mormon church stop proxy baptisms of Jews - The Washington Post

Mitt Romney's family baptized Ann Romney's atheist father into Mormon church a year AFTER his death | Mail Online

Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
[/color]

Thank you for the link. And that is great that the LDS Church has come out strongly against this, but your statement below contradicts this. So which is it?

[color=blue][color=#000000]
We have been told to do this work on behalf of our own ancestors and no one else.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
We have been told to do this work on behalf of our own ancestors and no one else.
Are you LDS?

Then why the vast genealogical records? Most non-Mormons (like me) think you do this to baptize the dead going back generations. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm willing to learn.

If it's true I find it highly offensive. What gives the Mormon church the right to do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies