Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

This kind of assumes that Christianity is value-added and superior. And that's just the first flaw with the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It's doubtful that the United States, as we know it, will ever be a Christian nation again. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

But I think it likely that there will be a Christian nation on American soil at some point in the future.
could you possibly give us a discription of this "Christian nation". What will it be that makes it a Christian nation? Will God consider it a Christian nation? What dissereces will it have than the rest of the non Christian nations, ETC.
Im truely interested in your answer because as I have said, there is no such thing as a Christian nation.Could I be wrong?????

Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
I see a number of possibilities and convergences. It's possible that traditional religious believers of all persuasions will be forced, or at least "incentivized", to migrate to certain regions to live in freedom. Also, we are probably headed for some cataclysmic disaster the way things are going, and such events often precipitate mass conversions. Finally, persecution itself leads to mass conversions, as the Church is purified and the martyrs end up converting even their persecutors. That's how Christianity spread so quickly to begin with.
No you are wrong, christianity spread within the framework of small communities. It created a social network that slowly began to convert people starting with the most disenfranchised in society. And quickly might be pushing it just a bit, since it took near 300 years for it to even get enough following to be legalized. Christianity moved very very slowly contrary to what a lot of people think. Also the persecution of early christians is believed to be a bit blow out of proportion in terms of what really happened.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM

391 posts, read 513,570 times
Quote:
Not on anything approaching the scale and magnitude of 20th century atheistic persecution.
OK, I'm a Christian, I have NEVER faced persecution in this country. Please, someone tell me (fellow Christians) who has and how?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Wherefore [ye] must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. (Rom 13:1-6)

Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? (Mat 22:17)....

They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. (Mat 22:21)

The word translated as "tribute" in those verses are Greek words which mean...taxes.

For a guy who wants to start a Christian nation, your attitude toward our government isn't very Christian.
Why would you think I disagreed with the verses you quoted? Have I told anyone not to pay their taxes? Have I been saying that our government is not legitimate and shouldn't be obeyed?

On the contrary, I stand squarely with Pope Leo XIII: "From these pronouncements of the Popes it is evident that the origin of public power is to be sought for in God Himself, and not in the multitudes ...."

Nevertheless, the state's authority is not absolute: "We ought to obey God, rather than men."

Just curious, stillkit: is it therefore your opinion that the American Revolution was an illegitimate revolt against a divinely established government?

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-25-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
OK, I'm a Christian, I have NEVER faced persecution in this country. Please, someone tell me (fellow Christians) who has and how?
I'm adding on to my own post because I have been perscuted, but, it was never for my religion. It has been because of my gender, race, economic status, etc.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I'm adding on to my own post because I have been perscuted, but, it was never for my religion. It has been because of my gender, race, economic status, etc.
"Persecution" is a strong word. A case can be made that a soft persecution of Christianity is heating up in this country, as Obama's HHS mandate might prove, but I prefer to use "persecution" in a more conventional sense. You know - jails and labor camps, firing squads, dispossession, that kind of thing.

State-sponsored discrimination, disfavor, restrictions, handicaps, etc. do not always rise to the level of persecution.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
"Persecution" is a strong word. A case can be made that a soft persecution of Christianity is heating up in this country, as Obama's HHS mandate might prove, but I prefer to use "persecution" in a more conventional sense. You know - jails and labor camps, firing squads, dispossession, that kind of thing.

State-sponsored discrimination, disfavor, restrictions, handicaps, etc. do not always rise to the level of persecution.
State-sponsored discrimination is pretty much as close to the definition of persecution as you can get. Religious persecution is the systematic mistreatment of individuals for their religious beliefs. If state sponsored discrimination does not meet that level I don't know what does.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Not on anything approaching the scale and magnitude of 20th century atheistic persecution.
Persecution is a strong word.... am I %%%%ING crazy?

Old 02-25-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Persecution is a strong word.... am I %%%%ING crazy?
Most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies