Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:44 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,744,432 times

Advertisements

Here's a serious question: IF we do what Ron Paul says and leave the middle east and become isolationist again like the way we were pre-WWII, what do you guys think will happen in the Middle East?

Will it get much worse than it already is?

Will it be much more peaceful?

Or, do you think we should not even care about the region and just focus on our own domestic problems at home?

Lets hear what you got to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 04:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 4,001,843 times
If the US withdraws hard and fast, Iraq will be taken over by Iran in perhaps a few months. Then the new Iraq/Iran nuclear-power will have the oil of both countries and thus the income potential and fuel needed to wage war. In theory, with enough power, the new Iraq/Iran could perhaps fully mobilize against Israel in a few years. The US would have to make a decision for how to act, essentially deciding whether or not to go back in and for what end.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,744,432 times
So, are you saying that we should not leave Iraq? I mean, at what point do we decide to leave?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:29 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,689,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Here's a serious question: IF we do what Ron Paul says and leave the middle east and become isolationist again like the way we were pre-WWII, what do you guys think will happen in the Middle East?
Who cares? We get very little of our oil from the middle east now. Besides, we have more oil in shale than two Saudi Arabia's. It's time to stop being the world policeman.

Quote:

It will become much more peaceful because we won't be killing Iraqi insurgents that want us out of their country, and we won't be killing them.

Quote:
Or, do you think we should not even care about the region and just focus on our own domestic problems at home?
Quote:
We do need to focus on our own domestic problems. There are far too many of them to list or discuss here.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:32 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,222,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
If the US withdraws hard and fast, Iraq will be taken over by Iran in perhaps a few months. Then the new Iraq/Iran nuclear-power will have the oil of both countries and thus the income potential and fuel needed to wage war. In theory, with enough power, the new Iraq/Iran could perhaps fully mobilize against Israel in a few years. The US would have to make a decision for how to act, essentially deciding whether or not to go back in and for what end.
America's decision will be to launch World War 3.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:33 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,663,008 times
Iran will control Iraq as a proxy anyway, and already does to some extent. Iran has been next to Iraq since before Sumerian times. But we knew that when we invaded.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,870,353 times
I don't see things improving much in Iraq if we leave before the job is done.

As an example, I would cite the fate of our Vietnamese and Cambodian allies we abandoned back in '73. Within a few short years, millions of them were murdered by Communists.

Now that we're in Iraq, we need to follow through on our promises. And although the work isn't easy, I believe very strongly that we can and will achieve victory! Our guys & gals in the U.S. military are the best the world's ever seen. They have the will, the courage, and the ability to pacify Iraq. They are already training Iraq's military so they can sustain a stable gov't for themselves. It's working!

Lest we forget, the constitutional republic under which we live and enjoy freedom didn't spring up overnight. We declared our independence in 1776, and the Constitution went into effect in 1789. Thirteen years—and that was even with a population accustomed to self-governance and the rule of law!

I think we'll all be impressed when Gen. Petraeus presents his report. Until then, let's not panic!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:46 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,663,008 times
That's a very rosy assessment. But a simple question - how do you propose to pay back the trillion dollars this war has chewed up so far?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM

13,632 posts, read 21,449,419 times
it's all speculation,I think there will be a civil war,maybe they will elect or bring into power a leader unfriendly to America.

Regarding the comment of America's revolution,it worked because people were ready for it,wanted it.If other countries want democracy or to be like America let them handle their own revolution,or let them immigrate (legally) here and become a citizen.

We can't export democracy,unless to say it plain and simple we want to take over nations and have them as puppets,only allowing a government with our approval.That's not letting someone or people control their own destiny like America did.However in Afghanistan's case I think it was just because they had proven direct ties to terrorists...yes yes I know some will say Iraq did too.....

I'm not sure Ron Paul would lead us into total isolationism,I think that he knows he would have to work for change.But it would be a step forward in the right direction because right now most people vote for who will do the least damage,but that's still a direction downward or backward,why settle for that?Why not demand our politicians be true to purpose?

As long as you vote for the lesser of 2 evils,you are allowing evil or better said corruption to exist.As long as you vote for who is "realistically electable" yet short of what you demand from a politician you will conrinue to be short changed.

It's not that your vote don't count,it's not that big contributers out spend you silencing you,it's not that "well that's the way it is",it's that we as a nation have to stop accepting mediocre self serving politicians who think you'll go along if they dangle a carrot in front of you.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,481,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post

Lets hear what you got to say!
I think we should leave Iraq as soon as possible. Every Sunday I read the names and ages of the men and women who have died there. Most of them are so young - some of them are just kids 18/19 years old. I believe our presents there aggrevates the situation and we've made some serious errors in the reconstruction of the government enough to make it really hard to leave. I don't know how we are going to get ourselves out of this mess and stablize the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies