Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, so glad I don't live anywhere near you people.

That makes two of us. It seems things like this happen too often in cities like Detroit, and New York. People are afraid to do anything. It is a shame and disgrace that people are not willing to help others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM

45,222 posts, read 26,431,296 times
People have been brainwashed into thinking some agent from the government will come to the rescue, so no need to get involved.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
A few weeks ago I spotted an elderly black man with a light leather jacket in the highway median on a cold day. Speeding 70mph in the other direction he appeared lost so I called 911 who transferred me to the troopers.

My point is maybe folks won't stop and help but they can pick up a phone.
True. That's the least they can do if they can't stop.

They've had stuff like this on tv in recent years. Sometimes they stage it, and sometimes the camera catches real incidents of a crime or a person needing some help thereafter, and it's appalling how it's become normal that most folks won't help anymore. Folks are just too jaded or too much in a hurry. Or simply apathetic.

I helped these women change a tire on a minivan on the side of a highway last year, and i gotta admit, i kept looking over my shoulder to see if i wasn't being set up for something. I kinda felt ashamed of myself for being so suspicious like that, but that's just the way it is.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
truth is most people anywhere wouldnt stop.

honestly, i myself probably wouldnt stop. at least i'll admit it, and not pretend like others will.
the internet tough guns would

Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,132 times
A couple of years ago I helped an elderly man who had badly twisted his ankle and was lying on the sidewalk. I helped him up and supported him with my arm and walked him 2 blocks to his home, made sure he was home ok. He thanked me and I left. Just last month my sister-in-law pulled over and got out of her car to help an elderly man who had fallen on his way to the hospital ( and it was in a rough area). So yes, some people will stop to help. I can't imagine just walking by an obviously injured senior citizen without offering to help. What the hell is wrong with some of you people? To pass by a situation like this because "I might get sued" is a weak excuse. You must have ice water running in your veins.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
I thought in the end that someone drove him to his home, and refused the pay he offered, when the ambulance took to long to arrive? Amazing how people want to focus on those who did nothing and ignore those who did do something nice.....just so that they can brand Detroit "Scum" and full of heartless people and a city beyond help. Some people probably thought he was just a drunk crawling on the pavement and did not even realize what happened to him.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
True. That's the least they can do if they can't stop.

They've had stuff like this on tv in recent years. Sometimes they stage it, and sometimes the camera catches real incidents of a crime or a person needing some help thereafter, and it's appalling how it's become normal that most folks won't help anymore. Folks are just too jaded or too much in a hurry. Or simply apathetic.

I helped these women change a tire on a minivan on the side of a highway last year, and i gotta admit, i kept looking over my shoulder to see if i wasn't being set up for something. I kinda felt ashamed of myself for being so suspicious like that, but that's just the way it is.
Unfortunately you have to look over your shoulder there have been several stories of folks stopping to help disabled motorists only to be robbed or worse.

It's a shame really.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That makes two of us. It seems things like this happen too often in cities like Detroit, and New York. People are afraid to do anything. It is a shame and disgrace that people are not willing to help others.
It ain't just there,anymore it's EVERYWHERE...it's all about me these days and nobody seems to give two craps about the welfare of others...we are in pretty sad shape as a nation now imho.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
the internet tough guns would
the impotent/castrated bedwetting hoplophobe internet gun-grabbers wouldn't

Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
it's appalling how it's become normal that most folks won't help anymore.
When was this mythical time when people rushed to get involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies