Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I suspect you will find there is a correlation between educational level and single parent households.
Yes, there is and there always has been. Part of that is due to pregnant school girls tend to drop out. It is a vicious cycle. What we have to address is that our core problem is the bastardization rate and tackle that head on.

The fact that black and hispanic test scores tend to significantly trail white and asian test scores even when they are in the same schools tells you the primary problem ain't the schools. The primary problem is the parents. If your kid ain't achieving in school you make damn sure he does. That is what I had to do, and it was not easy with my kid. Thank God I had a partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:53 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, there is and there always has been. Part of that is due to pregnant school girls tend to drop out. It is a vicious cycle. What we have to address is that our core problem is the bastardization rate and tackle that head on.

The fact that black and hispanic test scores tend to significantly trail white and asian test scores even when they are in the same schools tells you the primary problem ain't the schools. The primary problem is the parents. If your kid ain't achieving in school you make damn sure he does. That is what I had to do, and it was not easy with my kid. Thank God I had a partner.
Schools contribute to the problem. Look at DC schools. Obama wishes to keep the children trapped in under performing schools because he is owned by the terachers union. He eliminated choice in the DC school system.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You have to understand that Fox News is controlled by the same GOP that sees educated workers are more difficult to control. The GOP at this point represents the rich that want to create low-paying service jobs that do not require education. It's a move they've been making on the education system for decades.

They keep telling us that liberal, educated thinking is bad because of a variety of reasons, mostly to keep uninformed people distrustful and more willing to just do as the GOP instructs them. Fox News and their paid for politicians are happy to carry out their message to duped Americans that believe their "news" and flag waving.

Look at the 1%. Look at what they and their holding companies control. Teachers that are trying to wake up the minds of young people are not welcome in THEIR Big Picture.

I look forward to the day when the duped Americans wake up and think: "Hey, wait a minute -- THAT doesn't make sense!"

We need to read our history from a variety of sources -- and watch not just what people are saying, but what is being done. As a people we need to realize that in our capitalist society, those that have the money will use it to keep it. There are very real dichotomies occurring in our politics right now, and naivety is dangerous.

That's quaint, you think the teachers unions gives a flip about educating children, they don't. They care about their members, and only their members. The left requires an permenant underclass to retain power. They have no interest in an educated work force.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

The teen birth rate is the lowest ever.

Right behind the war on teachers is the war on parents. EVERYTHING is the parents' fault.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
What we have to address is that our core problem is the bastardization rate and tackle that head on.

The fact that black and hispanic test scores tend to significantly trail white and asian test scores even when they are in the same schools tells you the primary problem ain't the schools. The primary problem is the parents. If your kid ain't achieving in school you make damn sure he does.
First of all, it is "isn't" not "aint" and Hispanic is always capitalized

Second, we need to start accepting the fact that not all children are into academia.
Changing the curriculum to address that, e.g. vocational tract starting at 7th grade and
matriculating students to community college earlier should become a national standard.
Our kids should not be in high school beyond the 10th grade IMO.
Boredom will kill any mind...

The bastardization rate proves absolutely nothing.
Better just stick to the fact that dumb people produce dumb children

Old 02-26-2012, 12:59 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Second, we need to start accepting the fact that not all children are into academia.
Changing the curriculum to address that, e.g. vocational tract starting at 7th grade and
matriculating students to community college earlier should become a national standard.

Vocational training at 12 years old seems a little narrow. I'd support maybe 16 years of age we can begin vocational training, so they have essentially a two-year training\education into a field by the time they become an adult, but 12 is just entirely too young. People are still figuring out the buttons and whistles on their own bodies.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

It was a national standard and they got rid of it (traditional/classic education). Mix all the kids together and the smart kids will rub off on the not so smart kids and voila..everyone is a winner(progressive education).

It's against the rules to track. Yes you have AP classes but a parent can insist their "C" level child be enrolled in it and there is nothing the schools can do

Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
If the teachers and their unions hadn't declared WAR on the taxpayers, then the GOP wouldn't have to wage the war for the taxpayers.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Default The Republican WAR on teachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Daley View Post
I really do not understand it. Everytime you turn on Fox News or right wing Republican talk radio they are always bashing teachers. And they attack teachers legislatively now as well by taking away civil service, union rights and, in Arizona, even the right to express any political views. I really cannot figure out why the Republicans hate teachers so much. Maybe somebody can shed some light?

You need to understand that Fox is a business. They exist for one reason only and that's to charge the highest possible rate for advertising. They can do this only if they maintain high ratings. They've been very good at targeting a loyal demographic who will watch them and distrust all other sources. Their audience is rightly referred to as "low information." They want to hear simplistic talking points, not analysis. They think that every comlex issue has a simple, easy-to-understand solution, and that solution is always the same: the GOP agenda.

These Foxbots are angry, frightened, irrational people who are easily led to conclusions. Chances are, many of them struggled in school and probably blame the schools for their lives' problems to some degree.

Fox tells them that there are dumb people in America. Furthermore, there are lazy people in America.

And they present the public schools as their scapegoat.

The Fox audience eats it up.

The ratings remain high.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Daley View Post
I really do not understand it. Everytime you turn on Fox News or right wing Republican talk radio they are always bashing teachers. And they attack teachers legislatively now as well by taking away civil service, union rights and, in Arizona, even the right to express any political views. I really cannot figure out why the Republicans hate teachers so much. Maybe somebody can shed some light?

It would be great to see what you consider as attacking and such.. I don't see it that way and don't understand were you are coming from. Your statement is based on your general opinion but you dont provide any type of valid argument.

Your question is null.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies