Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,810,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How does "They don't want affordable housing in their neighborhood" differ from class warfare?

How does one class trying to exclude another class from a neighborhood not constitute class warfare?
Still requesting a link and more information about this particular city's planned urban development map.

Generally urban planning it has nothing to do with "class warfare" no matter how you wish to spin it. Rather, city plans call for a graduation of building zones from rural to industrial to commercial, to trailer parks, to multi-family (apartments/condos) to smaller adjoined multi-family (duplexes through quadplexes), to single family homes. Parks and schools are usually scattered about the low density multi-family and single family home areas in the suburbs wheras you may see them alongside commercial in long established urban city centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,337,170 times
Oh geez...this was a reprinted article from 1999. OMG and all that.

The article is part of a multi-page feature on neighborhood change, particularly in "historically black" neighborhoods which are becoming white and are gentrifying.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,470,109 times
What city, what neighborhood?
Who are the more well to do people?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,987,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
They don't want affordable housing in their neighborhood.

[i call it NIMBYism]
Neither do I.

If you can afford to maintain the lifestyle in my neighborhood, I don't care what you are.

If not, stay where you belong.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,413,264 times
Quote:
Oh geez...this was a reprinted article from 1999. OMG and all that.

The article is part of a multi-page feature on neighborhood change, particularly in "historically black" neighborhoods which are becoming white and are gentrifying.
If it's what I think it is, this is more about existing property owners/residents being concerned about the preservation of their neighborhood's character than about class, i.e. they didn't want to see their old neighborhood destroyed for new development.

[the neighborhood was actually comprised of individuals with varying income levels]

Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,470,109 times

Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Still requesting a link and more information about this particular city's planned urban development map.

Generally urban planning it has nothing to do with "class warfare" no matter how you wish to spin it. Rather, city plans call for a graduation of building zones from rural to industrial to commercial, to trailer parks, to multi-family (apartments/condos) to smaller adjoined multi-family (duplexes through quadplexes), to single family homes. Parks and schools are usually scattered about the low density multi-family and single family home areas in the suburbs wheras you may see them alongside commercial in long established urban city centers.

Yes, I know a few things about zoning and Comprehensive Plans. In this case, the Portland Development Commission was offering a low-interest loan plus a deferred-interest loan from federal funds, so the development people considered it in conformity with existing plans.

There are many small apartment buildings on otherwise single-family blocks, they seem to coexist just fine, and 10 rowhouses wouldn't ruffle anyone's feathers if it were aimed at middle-income families.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 PM

OMG I lived very close to Co-Op City when it was under construction.

I was against it because it made traffic a nightmare for everyone in the area (especially in the years it was being built) and forget about getting into or out of the Pathmark store.

Call me a transportation NIMBY.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,810,694 times
Quote:
Yes, I know a few things about zoning and Comprehensive Plans. In this case, the Portland Development Commission was offering a low-interest loan plus a deferred-interest loan from federal funds, so the development people considered it in conformity with existing plans.

There are many small apartment buildings on otherwise single-family blocks, they seem to coexist just fine, and 10 rowhouses wouldn't ruffle anyone's feathers if it were aimed at middle-income families.
Still no link?

Quote:
OMG I lived very close to Co-Op City when it was under construction.

I was against it because it made traffic a nightmare for everyone in the area (especially in the years it was being built) and forget about getting into or out of the Pathmark store.

Call me a transportation NIMBY.
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,347,150 times
Should have called co op city stack and pack instead, looks like a cess pool but I live in the country and I am bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies