Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times

Advertisements

The World loves America. After that 'incident' in Paris, France, located 3635 miles east of America, how could you not!?

Team America World Police Intro - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
A lot of Americans hate America. If you hate people who voted for Obama, you pretty much hate majority of American voters.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Heard this tonight. Might be correct.

The answer:

PUFFS PLUS!!!!

All over the world people are eating twigs, fighting to survive, and we think Kleenex is too rough!
I wouldn't know. I blow with toilet paper and paper towel!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
After China and India, the U.S. is the third most populated country in the world. Which of the
three would you choose? Compared to the rest of the world the United States is a rock star.

Beware of minorities anywhere. They get a lot of media time which creates false impressions.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Cause we try and exploit foreign nations and their resources, push our garbage pop culture (at least over the last 15 years our culture has become garbage), always act like we are better than others and always think we are right

That is why we are disliked... no they are not jealous of us.... maybe in the 1950's through the early 1990's they were but America has fallen far from its past greatness currently that nobody is jealous of us these days

Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 AM

700 posts, read 637,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Cause we try and exploit foreign nations and their resources, push our garbage pop culture (at least over the last 15 years our culture has become garbage), always act like we are better than others and always think we are right

That is why we are disliked... no they are not jealous of us.... maybe in the 1950's through the early 1990's they were but America has fallen far from its past greatness currently that nobody is jealous of us these days
"always act like we are better than others and always think we are right"

Not sure how much traveling you do but I haven't found that arrogance is an exclusive American trait. In fact, I would say American's on the whole are probably the *least* arrogant nationality on the planet. No joke.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Because we're no. 1, hey; we're no. 1.

In teen births in developed countries, that is:

Differences in Teenage Pregnancy Rates Among Five Developed Countries: The Roles of Sexual Activity and Contraceptive Use
Despite recent declines, the current level of births to adolescents continues to be much higher in the United States than in most other developed countries.1 Continued decreases in U.S. rates have only succeeded in moving the country's levels slightly closer to where those of most other developed countries were during the late 1990s.2

Go USA.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
"always act like we are better than others and always think we are right"

Not sure how much traveling you do but I haven't found that arrogance is an exclusive American trait. In fact, I would say American's on the whole are probably the *least* arrogant nationality on the planet. No joke.
We're talking about the US here, and while it's not an exclusive US trait, it is certainly one of them. Along with being very loud about it.

Least arrogant, no, not by a long shot.
Who else is pushing to destroy the middle east because it can?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 AM

700 posts, read 637,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
We're talking about the US here, and while it's not an exclusive US trait, it is certainly one of them. Along with being very loud about it.

Least arrogant, no, not by a long shot.
Who else is pushing to destroy the middle east because it can?
The corrupt U.S. government.

"I would say" is another way of saying "in my personal experience". One of the strangest yet most common things I've heard abroad was, "In this country we don't have -insert negative problem-". In one such example, it was "look around! No stray pets. They don't exist here!" Wait! What?! That certainly wasn't true. That sort of thing was so common everywhere I went. In Canada it was; "Fighting in hockey only exist because of the NHL's attempt at marketing to American's" and "the oil sands only exist because of your country's vampire sucking thirst for oil." I was just trying to strike up a conversation about hockey and what they were building around the beltline. Sheesh! Could you imagine a television show like "talking to Americans", but about another nationality of course, even being given a time slot? Much less successful? The U.S. definitely has it's share of "ra ra USA" types but ask the typical American to list 100 things wrong with America and they'll give you 101; In my experience, ask that question abroad and you'll get a wall of defensiveness as though you just insulted their mother.

I think you have a deferential and servile attitude toward non-Americans therefore you too readily accept as fact stereotypes leveled against your nationality. Perhaps it's an overzealous attempt at being a world citizen. Generalizing Americans and being contemptuous toward the U.S. doesn't make you less of a tribalist simply because you were born American, does it?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
The World doesn't hate America.

A lot of people move here because they love America.

Muslims hate America because they are taught to.

Maybe some people should try eating something with a little less texture than twigs. Maybe grass.
Most Muslims I've met abroad don't hate America. The Egyptians I met really like us. The Central Asians in Krygyzstan and Kazahkstan like us too. America is big and broad. I think there is something to like (and hate) for everyone. Even Fidel Castro is a fan of certain things about America. He's a big Lincoln buff from what I gather... and he likes baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies