Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
urgent care is much better and there are minute clinics....
Last time I used one of those doc-in-the-box places I had to pay up front. Urgent care is for people with money or insurance as far as I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Sorry but everyone, including the wealthy are being rbbed right now with the present system. The Insurance Companies are robbing you blind but hey that's OK. Illegal's are getting health care without paying in the ER and we are all paying for them.
Why is it that nothing can get done here without it being a war?
The UK built a succesful NHS after the war when it was broke but America couldn't ever do it even with money in the coffers.
A UHC can be created by using money that is no longer going to Iraq and will no longer be going to Afghanistan. The money no longer going to the absurd space programme. The money saved by aboloshing medicare/aid and the vet programme. The money brought in by a small tax to pay for a American Health Service. The money saved by the MASS employment that will come from creating a health service. The industry that will be created by building and supplying our health service. The work days NOT lost because of better health in the Country. The revenue brought in by hiring hospital time and services to the private sector. Money saved by having a Health system that is not as expensive to run as todays broken system.
As you can see, money really isn't the problem... it's attitude that's the problem and YES compared to America's health service,UHC's in other Countries do seem "AWESOME! PERFECT!! UTOPIAN!!"
What an excellent series of posts! People have no inkling of how badly they're being robbed, nor in how many ways. I worked as a nurse for some time, and can attest to the fact that the HCA facility that I worked in charged $5 for a box of Kleenex, and $30/daily to use one of their heating pads...bought at K-Mart but in a cloth bag with the hospital logo on it. While the DH and I pay a small fortune for health insurance, our insurer recently combined our medical and pharmacy bills...I paid $463 for one
prescription. I have a large deductible as well. Is there gold dust in these pills or what? If people demanded itemized bills and did some research, they'd be willing to demand the UHC that so many millions of us voted for.
But that was before the lies about "death panels" and "enforced euthanasia" and other nonsense that people had no trouble believing. Well, you can certainly believe this: You're paying obscene amounts of money for shoddy care!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
What an excellent series of posts! People have no inkling of how badly they're being robbed, nor in how many ways. I worked as a nurse for some time, and can attest to the fact that the HCA facility that I worked in charged $5 for a box of Kleenex, and $30/daily to use one of their heating pads...bought at K-Mart but in a cloth bag with the hospital logo on it. While the DH and I pay a small fortune for health insurance, our insurer recently combined our medical and pharmacy bills...I paid $463 for one
prescription. I have a large deductible as well. Is there gold dust in these pills or what? If people demanded itemized bills and did some research, they'd be willing to demand the UHC that so many millions of us voted for.
But that was before the lies about "death panels" and "enforced euthanasia" and other nonsense that people had no trouble believing. Well, you can certainly believe this: You're paying obscene amounts of money for shoddy care!
Thank you so much!
You are like millions in this Country who know how bad our system is and kudos to you for not allowing the fear based B/S that is being put out there by the self profiting anti-UHC brigade and the sheeple who believe them.
I recently had a bad rash and went to a Doctor here who examined me and prescribed a cream, even though she said she just wasn't sure what the rash was...... i paid a lot of money for the visit. I went to the pharmacy and i got a really small tube of cream and it was over $100.00. The pharmacist even remarked on why was i prescribed such a expensive cream....... it didn't work so i went to another Doctor... paid again, got some new cream which was a much bigger tube and cheaper and worked but by the time i had paid both Doctors and creams it was a really expensive lesson. This is the AMAZING current American health service.
With a UHC the cost to get a prescription is very small. The patient pays a small subsidy towards the cost of the drugs per prescription which is about $12 per prescription of whatever drugs are prescribed no matter how much the actual drugs costs.
My wife ( who is American) and has lived in the UK often hears the lies about "Death panels" or "enforced euthanasia" or bad health care or long long waiting times in the UK and cannot believe how far from the truth this B/S is. The only Death Panels are here in the USA and they are called Insurance Companies.
An example of how things actually work in a UHC is my Father. Just over two years ago my Father, who was 88, was admitted into a local Hospital with heart failure. When he was in the ward, he had a cardiac arrest and died. The medical team immediately administered CPR. We were phoned by the Hospital and rushed to be with him. We got there and my Father was in a critical care room being de-fibbed. We were waiting in a family room and were kept updated by medical staff of my Fathers condition... it was a really awful time. My Father was defibbed five times and had been dead 10 mins but they never gave up on him and NOT a single death panel in sight.
The medical team got his heart going and got him back. He was taken to a critical care ward and had 24 hour supervision with a qualified cardiac nurse by his side every minute. To cut a long story short, my Father survived and was given open heart surgery. He was given a Mytral valve replacement and a double heart bypass and a "pacemaker" fitted. Next September my Father will celebrate his 91st Birthday and is now in great health.
This whole proceedure, hospital care, drugs etc etc etc cost my Father... NOTHING. Amazing how no one worries about recieving health care in the UK with a UHC and no one worries about who benefits from our small tax that we pay for a UHC as we all know that it benefits all of us.... loved ones as well. This me me me me attitude does not exist because we know that it is for the good of all of us and not just for those with money.
To say the present health system in America is absolutely elitist and disgusting is a understatement.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Absolutely!
The Republicans want to give seniors a $15,000 anual voucher for their health care......... One Knee operation costs much more than that alone and any senior on medicines can forget them too.

Baloney!! The voucher is to pay the premuims for an insurance policy not for a one-time procedure.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Here comes ObamaCare, and there goes the unemployment rate into the stratosphere., and outlays for social spending and healthcare will soar right alongside them.

Obama The Job Killer does it again!!!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Baloney!! The voucher is to pay the premuims for an insurance policy not for a one-time procedure.
Oh i see.... so the Insurance companies are going to give the elderly cover for all of the medical problems that we get as we grow older?
NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS..... This is a plan to cheaply get rid of any responsibility to seniors who have paid into a social security system all of their lives and are now going to be given the 'shaft".
The Republicans do NOT want to be in any way encumbered by Health Care or Education or even living up to the contract of us paying social security for future health care by having it all in the private sector.......... Why do the words...... Thieves, corruption, greedy, elitist, self satisfying, Fascist, amongst others come to mind when i think...... "Republican"

Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Here comes ObamaCare, and there goes the unemployment rate into the stratosphere., and outlays for social spending and healthcare will soar right alongside them.

Obama The Job Killer does it again!!!!!

Really? People will be unemployed because?? There will be fewer sick people under UHC? They won't need janitors and cooks and technicians in hospitals and labs? Doctors will quit working because their avarice is more important than the Hippocratic Oath that they took? Possible. Nurses will stop caring for patients? Never going to happen. How does the system work now? How about my friend who was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer? They didn't start chemo although they put in a portal, nor did they do radiation. They performed surgery, giving him a "temporary" colostomy, although Stage 4 cancer is 100% terminal. Then they did tests; they did tests for 4 months, knowing that he was terminally ill. After the torture and expense, they finally gave him 1 chemo treatment,
which literally caused his stomach to rupture. It took 5 days for him to die, five days of his stomach leaking blood into his abdominal cavity and five days of pain that morphine couldn't eradicate. And guess who paid for all of the unnecessary tests and surgery? YOU. Yes, he was on SSI, so YOU paid for such obscene and inhumane treatment. How much wiser would it have been for him to see a doctor when his digestive problems began, been diagnosed then and actually prepared for death instead of being subjected to procedures that everyone knew were useless but made plenty of money for the "system?" President Obama became aware of such practices when his grandmother had terminal cancer; she was bed-ridden, but the doctors suggested a hip replacement. No lie...fix a hip that she wouldn't live to walk on. This makes sense to you? These are actions that you'd actually defend, even to your own detriment? Rest assured; there will be something similar happen to someone that you know...maybe even to someone that you love. Then come to C-D and talk trash about unemployment or having to pay more...you're already paying through the
nose to cover the millions who are uninsured.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, it hasn't been about that since HMO's came on the scene a few decades ago.
Do you know what HMO stands for? The premise behind HMOs was preventive medicine and health care, to keep the subscribers healthy. That's why HMOs pay for immunizations, drugs, screening exams and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Last time I used one of those doc-in-the-box places I had to pay up front. Urgent care is for people with money or insurance as far as I know.
Yep.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Really? People will be unemployed because?? There will be fewer sick people under UHC? They won't need janitors and cooks and technicians in hospitals and labs? Doctors will quit working because their avarice is more important than the Hippocratic Oath that they took? Possible. Nurses will stop caring for patients? Never going to happen.
Actually, I think even the docs will continue to do just as they are doing now, doctoring. Most of them have no other skill set. Some who are considering retirement may retire earlier, but most docs have (as we hear all the timehere on CD) loans to pay, and they tend to marry and have kids later so they have kids in college into their 50s and 60s, so they need to work.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, I think even the docs will continue to do just as they are doing now, doctoring. Most of them have no other skill set. Some who are considering retirement may retire earlier, but most docs have (as we hear all the timehere on CD) loans to pay, and they tend to marry and have kids later so they have kids in college into their 50s and 60s, so they need to work.
When a UHC was suggested in Australia the Doctors flew into rage and said they would never work with a UHC and they couldn't afford to work for the Govt. and health care standards would go down etc etc etc... just like they are doing here...... Once it was implemented they soon changed their tune........... they have to pay their morgages and look after their families too........... Absolutely no problems in Australia now and the health care is far far better than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies