Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,110,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
I thing the OP must be like 12 years old. Get real. So, if I am married and have a 1 year old and get pregnant, and my husband who has a really good job gets killed....you are saying that I am not supposed to take the WIC items which will let my one year old, me and my unborn child stay healthy through the remainder of the pregancy? Are you aware of the reason for WIC in the first place. Do the research before you post, please. Eating the proper nutrients will avoid some birth defects, will increase a child's intelligence and cost taxpayers a lot less in the long run. Please, get the facts.
And, by the way, I received WIC for about 3 months until I got on my feet. Both my children grew into healthy adults with genius IQ's. So, thank you WIC.
Why am I not surprised that WIC users are WIC supporters? Of course you support WIC. As if we can expect you to come forth and agree with me after you've actually used it. As if we can expect you to care about who pays for personal irresponsiblity. "As long as I got mine it's all good!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,367,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
naatlayjones, IC would solve your worry of starving kids, while requiring the WOMEN to act in a responsible manner, and work in return for their food.
Work where?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I see your point but isn't a single mom with no job and two kids going to get food stamps and welfare anyway?
Not the greatest example to use, i was smply just trying to make the point that kids will suffer.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,917,741 times
Personal responsibility is a philosophy that some participate in more than others. Until it is legislated that we all have a certain level of it...........(seems like 'freedom' would vanish @ this point)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If the funding was turned off, then lots of people would find out the hard way that their bad decisions have consequences. Which is the way it should be.
Kids with malnutrition, and grocery stores getting looted/burglarized/shoplifted doesn't sound like the way it should be, but whatever.

Being poor enough to be on WIC is enough of a consequence.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I think you are missing the point of what people are saying. Nobody is arguing about the fact that there are people who are on welfare who have kids. They agree those people should not have kids. They should be responsible, but there isn't a way to enforce that responsibility without harming kids. If I'm a single mother with no job and have 2 kids, I'm going to need WIC. If you cutoff WIC, I won't have any money to get food for my kids. The kids will suffer because I don't have the abililty to get food for them. The government does not have the ability to sterilize all people on welfare. The reality is, you will always see poor people who have kids when they shouldn't, but we need to support the WIC because the kids benefit from it. Can you give us your solution to ensure personal responsibility WITHOUT harming the kids?
Yes, I sure can. It's called not getting pregnant when you can't feed the children you'll bring into the world. I'm amazed at the number of people who are ready to shrug their shoulders instead of fighting back at the moral and cultural decay in this country. Is that what being American means these days? "Oh well! Can't fight it...might as well pay for it!!"

Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Why am I not surprised that WIC users are WIC supporters? Of course you support WIC. As if we can expect you to come forth and agree with me after you've actually used it. As if we can expect you to care about who pays for personal irresponsiblity. "As long as I got mine it's all good!!!"
Can you give us an actual plan that doesn't involve the kids suffering? If you cutoff WIC, the kids can't eat.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,367,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I see your point but isn't a single mom with no job and two kids going to get food stamps and welfare anyway?
In most cases they do. I've always thought that was double-dipping. I think they should have one or the other. I also wish SNAP was run more like WIC and only allowed certain foods but that's a different thread.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, I sure can. It's called not getting pregnant when you can't feed the children you'll bring into the world. I'm amazed at the number of people who are ready to shrug their shoulders instead of fighting back at the moral and cultural decay in this country. Is that what being American means these days? "Oh well! Can't fight it...might as well pay for it!!"
How do you prevent them from not getting pregnant. Simply telling them not to isn't working.

5,758 posts, read 11,630,012 times
Also, there's no evidence that rolling back welfare programs would reduce the birth rate. Paradoxically, it might have the opposite effect - if you look around the world, the countries where people have the most children are invariably poor. Women in impoverished Niger have an average of nearly seven children each.

I suspect that this would actually end up imposing many more social costs over time - not WIC, but prison, law enforcement costs, and related matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Personal responsibility is a philosophy that some participate in more than others. Until it is legislated that we all have a certain level of it...........(seems like 'freedom' would vanish @ this point)

Kids with malnutrition, and grocery stores getting looted/burglarized/shoplifted doesn't sound like the way it should be, but whatever.

Being poor enough to be on WIC is enough of a consequence.
So this "consequence" you speak of is the price of being a taxpayer? You just turn your head to millions of American's being personally irresponsible? We shouldn't expect moral or cultural norms to be adjusted when we see the nation sliding into one big pit of irresponsibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies