Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It wouldnt' be called PERSONAL responsibility if it were legislated! When can we expect you to hold PEOPLE accountable for their OWN actions? Why does it have to be legislated?
Because at the end of the day you can't make a person be responsible so unless you ARE saying that you would rather have kids starve then receive WIC there is no point to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
There is TONS of aid going into Africa via do-gooders that want to make themselves feel better.
I don't think the fact that the US is sending aid over there has a single thing to do with how many babies the women are having. It's not an institution where they get so much per month per baby.

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm sure glad you're not in charge of all this, smartass! My exwife and I have two sons. We didn't do that to get freebies. She went on WIC because the doctor recommended it. WIC isn't where you can just go buy anything you want. There is a list of foods you can buy. We almost had more beans, cheese, milk and a few other things while she was pregnant. After our sons were born we were getting a huge portion of the formula. We still ended up buying some but WIC took care of the biggest part. After each of the boys were off formula and baby food, we stopped WIC ourselves. We could still get milk, cereal, bread, cheese, and more (youngest is 25 now and it's hard to think back ). But we decided to stop because there was a lot of it the boys, or us could eat it all. But you thinking women are getting knocked up just to get all the free WIC goodies is about as idiotic as you are!
Who said ANYTHING about this being about "free goodies?"

This is about PERSONAL responsibility and NOT getting pregnant with children if you can't pay for their food from the outset.

It's not hard to understand.

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm sure glad you're not in charge of all this, smartass! My exwife and I have two sons. We didn't do that to get freebies. She went on WIC because the doctor recommended it. WIC isn't where you can just go buy anything you want. There is a list of foods you can buy. We almost had more beans, cheese, milk and a few other things while she was pregnant. After our sons were born we were getting a huge portion of the formula. We still ended up buying some but WIC took care of the biggest part. After each of the boys were off formula and baby food, we stopped WIC ourselves. We could still get milk, cereal, bread, cheese, and more (youngest is 25 now and it's hard to think back ). But we decided to stop because there was a lot of it the boys, or us could eat it all. But you thinking women are getting knocked up just to get all the free WIC goodies is about as idiotic as you are!
Could you have used foodstamps instead of WIC?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Because at the end of the day you can't make a person be responsible so unless you ARE saying that you would rather have kids starve then receive WIC there is no point to this thread.
But you CAN demand your government to not subsidize bad decisions. When the money stops flowing, people will bear their own burdens. They'll sink or they'll swim. But the Government will not have a part in it otherwise.

Besides, there are several other safety nets for bad luck.

WIC by its very nature subsidizes the height of personal irresponsibility by having children when you can't even afford FOOD for them.

It's mind-boggling!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Originally Posted by bobtn
YES to all 3 questions, as once they have to work, they will get private sector jobs quickly.
Like I said, work where? We are talking about IRRESPONSIBLE people. They have no job skills, no education and they are up against educated and experienced competition willing to work for less because the middle class jobs are being eliminated. I'm a college graduate with ten years of experience in the work force. It took me a year to find permanent full-time employment. Where are all this private sector jobs these women will get so quickly?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
But you CAN demand your government to not subsidize bad decisions. When the money stops flowing, people will bear their own burdens. They'll sink or they'll swim. But the Government will not have a part in it otherwise.

WIC by its very nature subsidizes the height of personal irresponsibility by having children when you can't even afford FOOD for them.

It's mind-boggling!
So let the babies starve then?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:

It's mind-boggling!
Not only will the parent sink or swin, but so would the kids. This is the point people are saying. They don't want the kids affected because they were born to lousy parents. Another thing, you keep thinking birthrates are going automatically disappear if you eliminate WIC, got news for you, it won't.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Work cleaning parks, until hired by private sector. Many people on the DOLE never applied for a single job. Some can be employed in retail or other low-skilled professions. They will have to start at the bottom, as that is what their skills dictate, but many can get hired. There were subsidies in place already for hiring the disadvantaged, and directly across the street from a hotel I am presently at sits a retail store employing a few single moms formerly on welfare. the employer is reimbursed about half their gross pay. (YES< I know management there and at their hq, so I will not disclose their name.)

I have no issue with such incentives, but multi-generational on the dole needs to end.by choice or by force.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I was reading up on it and found this on Wiki:

Quote:
In 1968, a group of physicians described to the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and the USDA that young women, often pregnant, came to their clinics with various ailments that were caused by a lack of food. The doctors would prescribe needed foods, with the presciption acting as a sort of food voucher. WIC’s program beginnings surface in 1969, when the White House Conference on Food, Nutrition, and Health recommended that special attention be given to the nutritional needs of low-income pregnant women and preschool children
Point being, there was already a need and it won't go away if you stop funding WIC. The human race will never stop reproducing regardless of all the "personal responsibility" pep talks we give. I'm not a fan of the welfare state but WIC isn't where my concern is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies