Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
what can be done about the ones who are manipulating the system?
That, my friend, is the trillion dollar question about all of the "entitlement" programs, including Medicare, Medicaid, disability,etc, etc. The scum scammers ruin it for the ones who genuinely need assistance. Local determination is the only way. If the community representatives know someone is scamming, they deny them the benefits. It has to be local. The scammers will take it to court, of course, so we have to put judges with some common sense (ie conservatives) on the bench.

Last edited by Bideshi; 02-27-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but only families with children qualify for WIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, I thought that was too obvious to even mention... but I guess some people fail to see even the most obvious of fallacies, huh?
Clearly neither one of you read the OP, or understand it if you did read it.

What part of the "not having kids if you can't afford food for them" theme of the thread do you not understand.

You shouldn't have children if you require WIC assistance.

Obtuse or ignorant? Embarrassing either way.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'd have to research the numbers, but I know for a fact that MANY people who receive WIC are working poor... one of my friends used to get WIC, and she worked full-time at a grocery store making well above minimum wage. Around here it doesn't take much to fall under the poverty line, considering average rents are $1200+ and median home prices are over $800K. That friend was eventually forced to move to another state, and was only able to do so because of family members who assisted in her relocation (she moved to where they live - Idaho).
Your friend is the perfect example: Don't have kids if you can't afford to feed them. That's the theme of the OP!

Did you intentionally use this example to make your case? If so, you failed miserably.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I've only read to post #90 so far, so I apologize if someone already addressed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Work where? And a neighborhood facility is going to cost a lot more money then cheese, eggs and cereal.

So what is the answer? The government cannot force people to be responsible nor can they prevent them from having children so how can we hold them accountable yet not make the children suffer?
Agreed! I was "present at the creation (of WIC)" so to speak. I worked for a health dept that became a WIC provider. At first, the formula was delivered to the HD, and the milk for the moms and older kids was delivered to the home from a dairy. (Those were the only foods at the time, I believe.) This proved to be too expensive and unwieldly, requiring storage space for the formula, etc, so the vouchers were introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The answer is PERSONAL responsibility! The INDIVIDUAL....the PERSON....makes good, responsibile decisions. That's the ANSWER!

The second half of the answer is the United States Government turning down people for assistance instead of paying for every mistake that millions of Americans make every year with NOT ONE consequence.
The RW has made a mockery out of the term "personal responsibility".

Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
Oh, you're just scratching the surface of stupid in this thread...

...this thread is 10lbs. of stupid in a 5lb. bag...
Care to provide an opinion or logic Mr. 2 Posts? Thats what we do around here. Embrace it or leave the thread.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
In 2011, approximately 8.9 MILLION families received WIC assistance.

WIC is intended to help pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5.

The following foods are available to assisted families:

Frequently Asked Questions

Common sense and personal responsibility dictates that you do NOT have children when you can't afford the most basic necessities, such as food. We're not talking hi-tech nurseries, the lastest stroller, or name-brand diapers. We're talking FOOD!!

Someone, anyone tell me: How can 8.9 million people (men and women) be so amazingly irresponsible to bring children in the world and then have to immediately get in line for FOOD assistance??!

Abortion is not the answer either, for the obtuse who might spew pro-abortion tripe. We're talking about NOT creating the child in the first place.

This is the height of Personal Irresponsibility in America. And it's disgusting!
First, how many of those families have lost jobs due to the economic turndown? I don't think losing their job was part of their life plan.

Second, how many of those families are illegals with US citizen children?

Read about food pantries how they can't accommodate the number of people who go there - Americans and illegals.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Your friend is the perfect example: Don't have kids if you can't afford to feed them. That's the theme of the OP!

Did you intentionally use this example to make your case? If so, you failed miserably.
But the OP does not believe in abortion, does he? I'd guess he's opposed to some forms of birth control, too, and Planned Parenthood as well.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
WIC cost $7.6 billion in 2011. "Defense" spending was $738 billion.

This is absurd minutiae.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM

Exactly! If you want to get into real savings, you have to look at the military.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But the OP does not believe in abortion, does he? I'd guess he's opposed to some forms of birth control, too, and Planned Parenthood as well.
Are you referring to me? If so, I do not believe in abortion, but I wholeheartedly agree with birth control and most of the services provided by Planned Parenthood. Why on Earth would I oppose birth control if the moral of my thread is to NOT have children if you can't afford to feed them? Of course I support birth control. And most importantly, I support personal responsibility!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies