Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
WIC cost $7.6 billion in 2011. "Defense" spending was $738 billion.

This is absurd minutiae.
So basically you could care less as long as the cost is low? How much money is too much money for you? You have no desire whatsoever for America to adjust it's moral and cultural norms to abate sliding into the pit of personal irresponsibility that we willingly and eagerly subsidize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think anyone's disagreeing with that... but what about the children who have already been born? Do you agree with cutting off their access to basic needs?

In those cases: continue ALL of the assistance (legalized theft from taxpayers) previously mentioned. . . . continue ALL of it.

And then treat it all the same way that federal government backed student loans are treated. As well as IRS tax debt. Neither of thos can be discharged with a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Just have the state and federal government keep track of it all (while sending bills every quarter) like what is currently done with student loan debt and IRS debt which stay with a person forever. And if the "parent" is unable to pay it, do not punish the children - continue the aid, welfare, subsidies, tax credits, free public schools, daycare, etc BUT keep a running total that has to be paid if and when the parents are able to, just like student loans and IRS tax debt.

And it will give mommy and daddy a reality check and prevent them from securing all of that free stuff (and I'm including free K-12 education) and then going out and buying new cars (with or without loans), new houses that they cannot afford, using credit cards, going on vacations and funding their IRAs and 401ks while recieving all of the above listed free money and stuff for the xerox copies that they made of themselves that were the end result of their orgasms.

This country is bankrupt. It's time for the cash and prizes to end and the sooner the better.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So basically you could care less as long as the cost is low? How much money is too much money for you? You have no desire whatsoever for America to adjust it's moral and cultural norms to abate sliding into the pit of personal irresponsibility that we willingly and eagerly subsidize?
I read that 53% of infants being born qualify for WIC--so maybe there needs to be some adjustment to the means test--but on the scale of budgetary problems, it barely registers. It makes almost no difference to the budget as a whole; it makes a lot of difference to many recipients.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
If you are not enough of a responsible, disciplined adult that you can't figure out how to either not get pregnant or get your life together enough so that you can support yourself, what the hell kind of kids are you going to raise?

That's the cycle that disturbs me.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I wish I were a hippie... got the pot smoking part down, but can't seem to stick with that whole not working or bathing thing!
Hey, now. Bad stereotype.
Definitely an old hippie here. I bathe and work (just like most of us did).
In every group (to keep with the thread) there are a small percentage of outliers. Everyone gets painted with the brush of the outliers, even though they are not.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I read that 53% of infants being born qualify for WIC--so maybe there needs to be some adjustment to the means test--but on the scale of budgetary problems, it barely registers. It makes almost no difference to the budget as a whole; it makes a lot of difference to many recipients.
I agree, if this is to be judged from a budgetary standpoint. But that's not the theme of this thread. The costs are irrelevant to me, although they are a byproduct of the ever increasing personal irresponsibility taking place in this nation.

For me, the principle of personal responsibility is far more important than money. When people take control of themselves and their actions, the money associated with subsidizing their bad decisions will take care of itself.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your friend is the perfect example: Don't have kids if you can't afford to feed them. That's the theme of the OP!

Did you intentionally use this example to make your case? If so, you failed miserably.
But you see, she could afford them before/when they were born... and before her ex ran out on them, refusing to pay child support (and getting away with it due to lying about her income). Was she supposed to have ESP, and anticipate that situation? She's still a single mother today, works full-time as a waitress, and accepts food stamps to help lessen the burden. Do you have any better suggestions for her, or maybe a rich new husband to take the deadbeat's place?

I'm sure hers is a common story, but of course you wouldn't know that - since you seem to assume the worst in people.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
This is one of those topics there are no easy answers to. I can empathize with both sides of the debate. I had my first kid at 18; I received WIC back then for a short time. Realizing what I know now, though, makes me question how long people should be allowed to have it. For instance there are people that look at having kids as a money making industry. Single moms who get knocked up, by whoever- just to be able to jack the cash assistance & food stamps way up. Then there's the earned income tax credit they get. That's a thousand bucks they get back straight up, for each kid. Add in WIC, & all the other freebies they get & they have less stress to make ends meet than most.
So it's a catch-22. We want to be able to help the kids, but what can be done about the ones who are manipulating the system?
Yeah, that's big business.
I don't know anyone who does that... you only get $$ for a certain period of time.
If you make no money, you don't get an earned income tax credit.
Less stress being on welfare?
How about you give up your day job for the life of reilly on benefits.

If you know someone who is scamming, turn them in. Otherwise, you're part of the problem.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you are not enough of a responsible, disciplined adult that you can't figure out how to either not get pregnant or get your life together enough so that you can support yourself, what the hell kind of kids are you going to raise?

That's the cycle that disturbs me.
Exactly right Stan! It's amazing to me all of the responses on this thread who miss this most basic premise! It's all about excuses and the need to keep subsidizing bad decisions. It's mind-boggling!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hey, now. Bad stereotype.
Definitely an old hippie here. I bathe and work (just like most of us did).
In every group (to keep with the thread) there are a small percentage of outliers. Everyone gets painted with the brush of the outliers, even though they are not.
Sorry, and you're right... having grown up in the Bay Area I've known my share of hippies, and many of them DO work and bathe! I was just kidding around, and have much love for you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies