Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sorry, and you're right... having grown up in the Bay Area I've known my share of hippies, and many of them DO work and bathe! I was just kidding around, and have much love for you all.
Aw, shucks (blushing).
I knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
But you see, she could afford them before/when they were born... and before her ex ran out on them, refusing to pay child support (and getting away with it due to lying about her income). Was she supposed to have ESP, and anticipate that situation? She's still a single mother today, works full-time as a waitress, and accepts food stamps to help lessen the burden. Do you have any better suggestions for her, or maybe a rich new husband to take the deadbeat's place?

I'm sure hers is a common story, but of course you wouldn't know that - since you seem to assume the worst in people.
I'm glad you brought this up. How many millions of people in this position will we have to subsidize until you finally become convinced that America is on a ****ed up path?

Using your example and your apparent support for these situations, it would seem that you'd be perfectly fine with subsidizing everyone in America simply because of their bad life situation.

Where do you draw the line Gizmo?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. How many millions of people in this position will we have to subsidize until you finally become convinced that America is on a ****ed up path?

Using your example and your apparent support for these situations, it would seem that you'd be perfectly fine with subsidizing everyone in America simply because of their bad life situation.

Where do you draw the line Gizmo?
When it comes to the health and welfare of innocent children, I have no line.

Now if you're asking how to reduce these incidents from happening, I already gave a few answers regarding that... attack it from the get-go, by offering comprehensive sex education (as early as possible!!), low-cost birth control and health clinics, and keeping abortion legal. And maybe moving some of that military spending into educational spending? Young people with strong educational backgrounds are MUCH less likely to get pregnant (before marriage and/or adulthood), and that is a proven fact. You know how many of my college-prep school classmates had babies before 18? Not a single one during the years I attended.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, that's big business.
I don't know anyone who does that... you only get $$ for a certain period of time.
If you make no money, you don't get an earned income tax credit.
Less stress being on welfare?
How about you give up your day job for the life of reilly on benefits.

If you know someone who is scamming, turn them in. Otherwise, you're part of the problem.
I have had jobs where it became obvious who was getting away with what. Families who somehow were able to get $2000.00 a month in food stamps. The other people I worked with told me it's widely known who gets away with this.
I didn't know the families personally, just knew of them when they came in.
(And ironically I know of people who genuinely needed it, that got denied.)
I also know people that get the earned income tax credit, that work just enough to be able to get the earned income credit. A thousand per kid, at 4 or 5 kids apiece, adds up.
As for your suggestion, It is not my job to turn people in.
I don't work at that particular place any longer, thank God.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
So basically, you don't mind throwing money at irresponsibility? Because Americans are increasingly irresponsible, you're OK with throwing however much money is needed to help them with their irresponsibilty?

NO wonder this nation is ****ed. This is precisely the attitude that's dragging us down.
Personally I think it has less to do with irresponsibility and more to do with the government wanting to provide subsidies to big Ag. The income requirements for WIC are not that strenuous - as someone else noted, many military families and working lower-income families receive WIC benefits.
When you look at what one can 'purchase' with a WIC card, it is pretty clear that basically it just a way to give away milk, cheese, (some) produce and the like.
Of course, one could argue that the program exists with the best of intentions. And I'm sure that there is something to that. Certainly anything that reduces the likelihood of premature births, which are often tied to poor nutrition, and hence reduces healthcare costs is only a good thing.
And the fact remains, with rare exception, people are NOT having that many children these days so this probably costs a pittance when compared to other programs.
That being said, the old adage 'one hand washes the other' holds true in this situation as much as in any other.
If there wasn't a benefit to business and therefore a benefit to lobbyists and politicians, these programs would not exist.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
When it comes to the health and welfare of innocent children, I have no line.

Now if you're asking how to reduce these incidents from happening, I already gave a few answers regarding that... attack it from the get-go, by offering comprehensive sex education (as early as possible!!), low-cost birth control and health clinics, and keeping abortion legal. And maybe moving some of that military spending into educational spending? Young people with strong educational backgrounds are MUCH less likely to get pregnant (before marriage and/or adulthood), and that is a proven fact. You know how many of my college-prep school classmates had babies before 18? Not a single one during the years I attended.
Aside from abortion as a method of birth control, I agree with what you've put forth here. This is exactly what i'm talking about when I refer to stopping the revolving door. We need bold leadership in this area. Someone somewhere has to make hard decisions to put these things in place. I'm disappointed in the number of American who would rather shrug their shoulders instead of demanding that the door be stopped sooner rather than later. And it has to be 100% about placing the burden on the individual instead of the government.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
In 2011, approximately 8.9 MILLION families received WIC assistance.

WIC is intended to help pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5.

The following foods are available to assisted families:

Frequently Asked Questions

Common sense and personal responsibility dictates that you do NOT have children when you can't afford the most basic necessities, such as food. We're not talking hi-tech nurseries, the lastest stroller, or name-brand diapers. We're talking FOOD!!

Someone, anyone tell me: How can 8.9 million people (men and women) be so amazingly irresponsible to bring children in the world and then have to immediately get in line for FOOD assistance??!

Abortion is not the answer either, for the obtuse who might spew pro-abortion tripe. We're talking about NOT creating the child in the first place.

This is the height of Personal Irresponsibility in America. And it's disgusting!

If you are poor......NO BABIES FOR YOU!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Republicans:
"Stop teaching sex ed to students. Tell them abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy"

"Get rid of Planned Parenthood. Providing easy access to contraceptives is only going to encourage risky, premarital sex"

"Ban all abortions, no matter how early they are performed. If accidental pregnancies happen, it's God's will."

"Where the hell are all these poor children coming from? Why are you having kids if you can't afford them?"

Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
If you are poor......NO BABIES FOR YOU!!!
Exactly right. What's wrong with this idea?

Absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. Especially if you can't feed your own children, and you know that while you engage in irresponsible procreative activities!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Personally I think it has less to do with irresponsibility and more to do with the government wanting to provide subsidies to big Ag. The income requirements for WIC are not that strenuous - as someone else noted, many military families and working lower-income families receive WIC benefits.
When you look at what one can 'purchase' with a WIC card, it is pretty clear that basically it just a way to give away milk, cheese, (some) produce and the like.
Of course, one could argue that the program exists with the best of intentions. And I'm sure that there is something to that. Certainly anything that reduces the likelihood of premature births, which are often tied to poor nutrition, and hence reduces healthcare costs is only a good thing.
And the fact remains, with rare exception, people are NOT having that many children these days so this probably costs a pittance when compared to other programs.
That being said, the old adage 'one hand washes the other' holds true in this situation as much as in any other.
If there wasn't a benefit to business and therefore a benefit to lobbyists and politicians, these programs would not exist.
I think you have very valid points here. Big Ag undoubtedly would fight any notion to stop the WIC program. Which illustrates nicely how personal irresponsibility subsidies probably won't ever come to an end.

Someone tell me how this is a good thing for America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies